• Register Today It's free!

1996 XLT Rear Diff - Best Fluid

SCB2525

Reaction score
City, State
Richboro, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
What is the proper fluid? I have 2 quarts of Redline 75W-90 without limited slip additive. How do I know I have a limited slip diff? If I do, where should I get the additive?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That weight should work provided you're not towing heavy stuff. Additives can be purchased from the dealer or sometimes auto parts stores - it usually costs around $5 I think.

You can tell if you have a limited slip if you have a "D" in the axle code in the sticker located on the side of the driver's door.

621-ford-ranger-noise-high-pitched-whine-hum-decal.gif

Well what does it call for? This truck doesn't tow, but if a 75w-140 would significantly cut down on vibration or protect that much better, I may go for that.

I've looked around and there's conflicts as to what people say to use. Some say 75/90 is fine but others say Ford updated their recommendation to 75/140 due to wear issues. Truck has 177k and I don't know if the fluid has ever been changed. Still, its given no troubles or noises but I just want to get some of the deferred maintenance up to snuff. Trans was rebuilt about 20k ago and the transfer case fluid changed about the same time with Redline High Temp ATF. Driveshaft splines were greased shortly after it became my vehicle and its sounding like it needs it again. I think I may use Amsoil open gear grease to try and keep it lubed longer.

When I do the differential should I get the gasket off Rock Auto or just use RTV?

When I do the differential should I get the gasket off Rock Auto or just use RTV?
Either really - I personally just use RTV. But some people will argue that a gasket with RTV on both sides is much better.

I'd say Redline is quality. If 75/90 is what's in there now, I don't think it'd be bad to replace it in kind. Also, anyone ever utilize a magnet? I wouldn't think putting one inside would be very good, but how about throwing a hard drive magnet on the outside near the bottom? I just don't know how effective that would be.

What is the capacity on these? Should I expect to be good with 2 quarts?

I really wonder if its ever been changed. If it never has been, you think I stand to bump up my MPG?

They take about 2.5 quarts, so buy 3.

I checked the code this morning but it didn't match the same format as the one above. The axle code was I believe 45, which according to a rundown I found in another thread, means I don't have a LS diff.

If I have to get a third quart, I'm on the fence as to whether I might as well go all 75/140. My problem is I got this fluid online several months ago and I'm not sure what I'd do with it. My nearest Redline dealer is like 20 miles away. I wonder if they'd swap the 2 75/90s for 75/140s as long as I got a third 75/140 and a few quarts of ATF for when I plan to change the fluid in the M5OD in my dad's '91 F-150. Otherwise I might be willing to sell these two quarts of 75/90 if anyone's interested.

I checked the code this morning but it didn't match the same format as the one above. The axle code was I believe 45, which according to a rundown I found in another thread, means I don't have a LS diff.

If I have to get a third quart, I'm on the fence as to whether I might as well go all 75/140. My problem is I got this fluid online several months ago and I'm not sure what I'd do with it. My nearest Redline dealer is like 20 miles away. I wonder if they'd swap the 2 75/90s for 75/140s as long as I got a third 75/140 and a few quarts of ATF for when I plan to change the fluid in the M5OD in my dad's '91 F-150. Otherwise I might be willing to sell these two quarts of 75/90 if anyone's interested.

If your 2wd that 2 quarts would be enough to fill up the front diff.

Axle Ratio and Transmission Codes — Ranger, Explorer

1996 Explorer
CODE -Type -RATIO
41 Conventional 3.27
45 Conventional 3.55
D4 Limited Slip 3.73
46 Conventional 3.73
D1 Limited Slip 3.27
42 Conventional 4.10
D2 Limited Slip 4.10
All above have 3200 Pound Capacity

Rear Axle 3
Ford Conventional and Traction-Lok® 8.8 Inch
Approximate Capacities 5.5 Pt. (2.75 Quarts)

3 Fill to 1/4 inch to 9/16 inch below bottom of fill hole
I hope this helps.

Rick

1996 Explorer
CODE -Type -RATIO
41 Conventional 3.27
45 Conventional 3.55
D4 Limited Slip 3.73
46 Conventional 3.73
D1 Limited Slip 3.27
42 Conventional 4.10
D2 Limited Slip 4.10
All above have 3200 Pound Capacity

^-- those numbers only apply to Explorers, not Rangers. Just look here for the entire list: http://www.explorerforum.com/ntrprize/Axle.htm

Lots of good info, thanks guys.

Does anyone know what is OE in a 3:55 conventional diff? 75/90 or 75/140?

Also, anyone know if an aftermarket cover is available with a drain plug? Relatively cheap that is? I'd probably change it a lot more often if it was that easy.

Rear Axle Conventional (5.5 - 5.8 pts.) 80W90 Axle Lubricant

Ford Part #XY-90-QL
Ford Specification ESP-M2C154-A
Ford Part Name -Premium Rear Axle Lubricant
I hope this helps.
Rick

Redline is good stuff and that weight will be fine. Check my signature for a differential flush how to video. With a 100% synthetic gear oil you DO NOT need the additive unless there is vibrations after the fluid change.

The best gear lube in my opinion is Amsoil.

The best gear lube in my opinion is Amsoil.
This isnt aimed to you jlsparky7, but I just wanted to add my personal experience with Amsoil gear oil:

Last fall, I drained the shuttle van's rear axle's gear oil and refilled with Amsoil. After that, the van has had this hum at like 55 mph. When the Explorer is done and ready to be towed, I will flush the Amsoil out and see if Redline does any better. If that doesnt work, back to good ol' Mobil-1 (although expensive).

Well I'm going to have to mix the Redline with a topper of Mobil-1 it seems, as the only Redline distributor in the area is only open M-F and I was busy all day. I need to get this done this weekend, so its going to be 2qts Redline and the rest M-1.

Anyone think that wouldn't be OK?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm sure it'll be okay.

Back