2003 Explorer won't start. It has a fast clicking noise. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Explorer won't start. It has a fast clicking noise.

Blondski

Reaction score
City, State
Forest, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer XLT
My 2003 Ford Explorer won't start.

I was washing under the hood (the lip under where the hood overlaps).

Tried to start it and heard a bunch of fast clicks. The stereo and lights had power.

Thought it may be the solenoid, but then read up online and found out water may have gotten into some electrical connections?

I tried again this morning and now it seems the battery is dead (maybe from trying to start the vehicle too many times)?

I've checked under the hood and haven't removed any of the connections or anything, but I don't see water anywhere...

Any help you have will be much appreciated. I am nowhere near my mechanic and would hate to have to tow it to him.

We are going to jump it to get the battery going and I'm going to pull the relay/starter fuse to clean and check it for water...

Should I take a hair dryer to it or wd40? I have read a few threads that suggest this...

Thank you!

Try to boost the battery, and clean the battery terminals.

I also had this same problem within a few months of bringing my X home, in the end all I needed was a new battery, we went with the lead-acid(?) Autozone battery.

At first I had the same concern you had, the radio and lights still worked, however when I tried to start it nothing. If you can try to have your battery recharged, Autozone can do it, if not get a new battery. And, yeah, if your terminals need cleaning, clean them.:D

Back