• Register Today It's free!

Slight Vibration at Idle

vcuevas11

Reaction score
City, State
Miami
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
Hi, I just changed the plugs and wires the other day (what a ***** of a time I had) to motorcraft brand. I had a misfire on cylinder 5 and that took care of that. Now I notice the engine idling a bit rough on park or when stopped but its fine when driving. My next thing will be to clean the MAF sensor and the IAC valve. Any suggestions? What do you guys think about the motor mounts? The idling is driving me nuts and I really dont want to take it to the dealer yet. BTW, its a 2002 Explorer EB 4.0L 4x4 with 192000 miles

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since you known that you had a cylinder 5 miss fire I'm guessing you had a scanner and picked up code p0305 for cyl 5 miss did you notice a p0300 or p0316 with that code. I would suggest to let it run for a hour. Turn it off let it cool off for a couple ho
urs and restart. Or drive it one day so the obd2 monitor can do its job if no codes are found and p1000 isn't present (obd cycle hasn't been completed). Then I would pull the throttle body off. The gasket is reusable and clean it and while its off check to see if the egr outlet is free of carbon. Put back together and disconnect battery for 10 mins to reset PCM. See if that helps also may check fuel pressure may have a fuel pump working on failing

Hi Logan, thanks for your reply. I changed them out last saturday and been driving the car back and forth for a few days. Yes, I have an OBD scanner, and no codes are picked up. I only got one code, the P0305 before, nothing else. I just bought the crc cleaners for both throttle and maf sensor. When I pull the IAC valve, do I spray the throttle from the IAC valve position or from where the Air Intake is connected or both sides?

Just remove the throttle body as a whole. If that isn't possible for you. You can clean it just by disconnected the air inlet tube and spraying around the butterfly. I'm not sure if that's a fly by wire system (electrical) or a actual mechanical linkage. If its mechanical just use your fingers to open. It up if its electrical have a assistant or a brick hold down the accelerator pedal while you clean it. I'm sure it doesn't need to be said but do this with the engine off lol. The egr valve outlet can only be inspected and cleaned with the throttle body off. Also since you vehicle is higher mileage I would suggest to decarbon the engine and the way to do that is to pour sea foam down the vacumn hose that connects to the brake booster while it is running. ( you may have to have a assistant help keep it running by fluctuating the gas pedal as needed. After you get about a quarter bottle down that hose let it sit for 20 minutes when you start it up it will smoke like crazy. Do not drive it down the road will blind other drivers. ( found out the hard way from local police) the smoking will decrease after it has ran for a while this will benefit this vehicle a lot we do this quite often at the dealership I work at for higher milage motors

If these do not fix your rough idle I would suggest doing a compression check on cyl 5 vs cyl 1 to make sure that low comp isn't causing the idle concern. Have seen a lot of vehicles have that concern after driving with a misfire for awhile and if p0305 comes back I would suggest putting a injector on cyl 5 if compression is good and concern is still present

Where is the vacuum hose to the brake booster? Do I pour the seafood while the car is running and let it sit for 20 minutes?

The vacuum hose to the brake booster is the one rubber hose that connects to your booster on the right hand side (from sitting in drivers seat) the booster is attached to the brake master cylinder ( the thing you put brake fluid in ). Yes slowly pour it in while it is running it will try to die but you can keep it from dying by slowing down the pour. This may also cause a check engine light due to the loss of vacuum so after it is done make sure to clear the code. And the product is called sea foam any parts store should have it

Ok, so I just changed the oil and got the penzoil high mileage. I'm taking out the maf sensor and iac valve to clean this weekend and also the throttle body, should I replace the gasket on the TB? I keep seeing 2 different types of gaskets but don't know which one is correct. Also when I remove TB, should I also spray the cleaner into the intake? I want to wait a bit to do the seafoam, not to comfortable doing it yet, search for vids but all I see is a video pointed to exhaust and white smoke coming out, not really useful. Thanks again

trying to post pics but cant :(

If the gasket is a small rubber boring looking gasket reuse it if part store shows 2 buy them both and just take the other back. No do not spray into intake if it can be helped. And the seafoam is just a suggestion do what you feel comfortable doing. It does cause it to smoke because it is breaking down the black crusty carbon off the valves and pistons and bottom of fuel injectors. You might take it by a shop for that part if you don't feel comfortable. Not probably going to find a video on it not to many people do it. It is just something we do at the ford dealership I work at but I know it helps on the higher milage vehicles. Let me know how it turns out.

There is a gasket with these teeth looking things, is that a spacer?

I'm not sure what you are looking at the gasket will be rubb
er and thin like a o ring. Don't know of any spacer. Can u post pic?

Back