resetting the oil change warning on the computer. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

resetting the oil change warning on the computer.

mycaptainchris

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Sport Trac XLT V8
Does anybody know the secret combination for resetting the oil change warning on the computer?

My last service they forgot to do it AGAIN!!! So I want to know how to clear it as they forget 9 times out of 10.

Isn't it:
Open the door
Open drivers window 7/8 of an inch
Roll up one trouser leg, leg leg works better
Hoot the jingle bells tune with the horn
Turn the radio on and off three times
and then press reset while rubbing your belly in a circular motion.

If thats not it I'd appreciate what it is!!!!

Thanks guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi,

well, there is actually three ways to reset the oil change warning.
1. You put the gearshifter in "R" and drive backwards a couple thousand miles, watching the display go 10%, 20%, 30%, etc. till you reach 100%.
2. You turn your SUV upside down like a sandclock and watch the oil-life indicator go back to 100%.
3. You enter the "menue" with the button next to the speedo until it reads oil-life, and than press and release the reset button until you´re back at 100% (this is the method I´d prefer) but must say, I haven´t tried the other two, yet.:D

Gruss, André

It was kind of tricky but I managed to get it done. I lit some candles and incense and offered a ride through the swanky new car wash to the Explorer gods, chanted a while, and voila! Light was reset.

(It's all in how you press the buttons on the setup menu though, really. It's all in how you release the button.)

Well,
four way´s then, I guess...
But candles and incenses? shouldn´t a "Yankee Candle Car Jar" hanging from the mirror and a cold hose wash do the trick?

Well I've tried and tried all of the above and just can't get the bloody thing to reset. Maybe I'm wearing the wrong colour underpants? :D

My oil change warning has been on for about a thousand miles now. Figured I would just wait until I actually do change the oil to as how to reset it. When I do though, I will try all the steps mentioned here in order (taking pictures along the way of course).

Hopefully at least one of them will work (likely after post 7).

It is in the owners manual for sure. Without seeing it, you go into the menu, goto Reset System or something like that, go to the Reset Oil Life (again similar) and hold down the button on that for about 3-5 seconds and voila. No more annoying light.

Ford what it's worth, I drove back to the dealership and made them clear the message, and fill up my tank.. talk about a free tank of gas.

It is just in the setup menu. I cleared mine a few days ago just before going for the ESP inspection. Took about 10 seconds.

Could my reset button not be working? What the hell!!!! Everyone has confirmed I am doing all the things as I should but the damn thing won't reset!!!!!!
I sure it's not rocket science!!!!

You first clear the oil needs to be changed message by hitting reset once.

Then you hit setup and it asks you if you want to enter diagnostic mode (or something similar) which you hit reset to enter.

Now you press info (or setup, I forget) until it says reset oil change and then you press the reset button on that message.

Hope this helps. If it does, do us a favor and post the actual steps for how this is done once you figure it out.

SmoothJimmy, I sure hope you're joking?

You should ask Manuel how to do it.
He's a little known guy to most drivers/owners and holds most of the secret voodoo ways of today's newfangled automobiles.
His full name is OwNers Manuel and he can always be found down in the glovebox.
Please go ask him.

most definitely joking! Should have added a smiley for effect.
And frankly, I should be embarrassed, since it's an very overused joke.
Shame on me :p:

Oil Life Reset — Message Center Cluster

Press and release the SETUP button until the message center displays PRESS RESET TO BEGIN SYSTEM CHECK.

Press and release the RESET button until the message center displays HOLD RESET IF NEW OIL.

Press and hold the RESET button for 2 seconds until the message center displays OIL CHANGE SET TO 100%.

Oil Life Reset — Base Instrument Cluster

Place the ignition in the RUN position with the engine off (KOEO).

Press and release the TRIP/RESET button until SETUP MENU HOLD RESET is displayed.

Press and hold the TRIP/RESET button until RESET FOR SYS CHECK (early build) or SYSTEM CHECK HOLD RESET (late build) is displayed.

Release the TRIP/RESET button.

Press and release the TRIP/RESET button to scroll through the system check menu items until HOLD RESET IF NEW OIL is displayed.

Press and hold the TRIP/RESET button until OIL LIFE SET TO 100% is displayed.
Release the TRIP/RESET button. The oil life is now reset.

Oil Life Reset — Message Center Cluster

Press and release the SETUP button until the message center displays PRESS RESET TO BEGIN SYSTEM CHECK.

Press and release the RESET button until the message center displays HOLD RESET IF NEW OIL.

Press and hold the RESET button for 2 seconds until the message center displays OIL CHANGE SET TO 100%.

Oil Life Reset — Base Instrument Cluster

Press and release the TRIP/RESET button until SETUP MENU HOLD RESET is displayed.

Press and hold the TRIP/RESET button until RESET FOR SYS CHECK (early build) or SYSTEM CHECK HOLD RESET (late build) is displayed.

Press and release the TRIP/RESET button to scroll through the system check menu items until HOLD RESET IF NEW OIL is displayed.

Release the TRIP/RESET button. The oil life is now reset.
Great post. :thumbsup:

Now all we need is for all the posts except for the first and last deleted and then the thread to be stickied.

When oil life is set 100% it is set to 5,000 miles/180 days which ever comes first. you can decrease the percentage by 10% all the way down to 10% IE 100% 90%80%70% so on this is how:

Oil Life Start Value — Message Center Cluster

Press and release the SETUP button until the message center displays OIL LIFE START VALUE SET TO XX%.

Press and release the RESET button to lower the percentage by 10% (down to 10%) for each button press or return the value to 100%.

Oil Life Start Value — Base Instrument Cluster

NOTE: If the oil life start value was set to 100%, the next setting would be 90%. If the oil life start value was set to 10%, the next setting would be 100%. Release the TRIP/RESET button. The oil life is now reset.

To change the oil life start value, press and hold the TRIP/RESET button until the oil life display indicates the next oil life start value.

Repeat STEP NOTE for each desired 10% reduction in the oil life start value down to 10%.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back