How do I know if I have a limited slip rear end? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I know if I have a limited slip rear end?

wisneski7

Reaction score
City, State
Green Bay, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport
How do I know if I have a limited slip rear end? Im changing rear axle bearings and I know there's a difference in the oil that I need to put in. Is there a way to see this visually, or is it somewhere in a code on the door jam? Thanks

Aaron

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

He nailed it ^

Check out the links in my signature. I did a differential fluid flush vid and it has a vid of where the tags are on the axle. The numbers are on the door and the axle.

Easiest way is to jack up both rear tires, put trans in neutral, park brake released, spin left tire forward. If posi, the right tire will spin forward also. If right tire spins backward, it is an open diff.

Easiest way is to jack up both rear tires, put trans in neutral, park brake released, spin left tire forward. If posi, the right tire will spin forward also. If right tire spins backward, it is an open diff.

Thats easier then reading the code off the door jam?!?!?

punch it on a dirt road and see if both tires spin lol

They will spin both on a dirth road with an open diff too...

Now, if you are with a tire on asphalt and other on gravel, that is momething else :)

No, but how do you know someone has not changed the rearend at some point???????

It should have tags on it. At least one line the one below, specific for limited slip.

P1020343.png

Back