OEM Hankook Tires, Like or Dislike | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OEM Hankook Tires, Like or Dislike

peterk9

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2023 Aviator Reserve 201A
Callsign
VE3
From what I've been able to gather, this is the OEM tire for the 2011 Explorer with the 20" wheels. At least it was on the Limited model I saw yesterday at the dealer. I've read some rather unflattering reviews on the tirerack.com about this tire. In fact I'm considering having them replaced before I drive off the lot. Just wondering if anyone can give me their opinion on this tire. From what I was reading, it sounds like it is downright dangerous on all but dry conditions. Over reacting? Maybe. But right now I'm very concerned.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Reviews on that are horrible!! Even their own description kind of says "not for snow". You might try having the dealer swap them out for another brand if possible since I'm sure you see more than "light snow"...

Here's Hankook's description:

The Optimo H426 is designed to provide attractive looks, predictable handling and year-round traction, even in occasional light snow.

The Optimo H426 features a symmetric, independent-block tread design that uses an all-season tread compound to provide traction on dry, wet and light snow-covered roads. The tire's internal structure features twin steel belts reinforced by nylon to stabilize the tread area and a polyester cord body to help cushion the ride.

Mine came with the Michelin Latitude Tour HP's, which are rated mid pack...

I think once the Latitude HP's go on my XLT I'll try Michelin's high-end LTX M/S. Those seem to be the holy grail of all-season tires.

As far as motorcycles are concerned, I lived and died by Michelins on my steet and race bikes.

There have been comments made on this tire through different threads. All were of a negative nature. My Limited to scheduled to arrive Feb. 28th, leaving me all of March to still conquer. Just wondering if anyone has had positive or even neutral experiences with this tire. Anyone???

I can't speak for that particular tire model but the Hankook DynaPro AS's that came on my 2008 E250 were the best tires I've had in a long time! Still smooth and had good traction at 65K.

From what I've been able to gather, this is the OEM tire for the 2011 Explorer with the 20" wheels. At least it was on the Limited model I saw yesterday at the dealer. I've read some rather unflattering reviews on the tirerack.com about this tire. In fact I'm considering having them replaced before I drive off the lot. Just wondering if anyone can give me their opinion on this tire. From what I was reading, it sounds like it is downright dangerous on all but dry conditions. Over reacting? Maybe. But right now I'm very concerned.

Are you sure thats the right tire? The website shows the H426 as a passenger car tire. The RH07 is a SUV tire.

The hankooks are actually rated very well. I'M not sure where these other guys are looking but they compare right up with michellin. I have them on my limited 2011 and I am very impressed with them o far. Quiet, god traction in snow and rain so far.

I know nothing except don't you think the last thing Ford would do is put bad tires on an Explorer? It was nearly the death of the line, I think they have learned their lesson.

The hankooks are actually rated very well. I'M not sure where these other guys are looking but they compare right up with michellin. I have them on my limited 2011 and I am very impressed with them o far. Quiet, god traction in snow and rain so far.

Thank you. I am very skeptical about all these HORRIBLE comments about the stock 20" tires. I am hoping that the tires are "OKAY".

I am big on tires myself but I have to say I am impressed and have no complaints so far about them.

If it's the H426's, they are rated horribly. Check http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Hankook&tireModel=Optimo+H426 .

However, if they are the Ventus, they get a better rating. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...r=2011&autoModel=Explorer&autoModClar=Limited

It's interesting that last week they had the H426's listed for the Explorer, and this week they have the Ventus listed...hmmmmmmmmm

Ventus is what I have on mine

Haha. This forum is kind of funny. It is as if noone actually owns one of these trucks. Can't someone just go outside and check their tire? Haha. I have no room to speak. I dont have mine yet

Haha. This forum is kind of funny. It is as if noone actually owns one of these trucks. Can't someone just go outside and check their tire? Haha. I have no room to speak. I dont have mine yet

Some of us have XLT's that don't have the tires in question.....

Anyone own a Limited that wants to help us out?
The Limited that the dealer had came with the Hankook H426. That is what started this thread. I noted the model and did a search on the Internet for reviews. I could not find one positive review from other H426owners.

So its confirmed that the limited comes with h426, and not the Ventus? confusing

Wait, Carnivore said his Limited has the Ventus. Either someone is wrong or Ford put both Hankooks on. Maybe they switched them at some point once a Ford engineer got on tirerack and started reading? :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back