Bronco II Drop Bracket Hitting Pumpkin | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bronco II Drop Bracket Hitting Pumpkin

kendogg

Reaction score
City, State
Tacoma, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1989 Ford Bronco II
I have a 1989 B2 with 6" lift and 35's, and just put in 4:56 gears....I took it wheeling one time.....decided I wanted a locker up front....took it to my gear guy and he reported back that the drop bracket for the lift has punctured a hole in my front differential........I have already replaced the front diff. and swapped out all my new parts, but I need a FIX!!! So this won't happen again??? I'm thinking that a Bump-stop extension will work, but wanted to know if anybody else was having these issues???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The early Tough County kit used a plate to drop one of the pivot points and was known do hit/break the pumpkin.

Solutions are longer bump stop, Different bracket, SAS.

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure others will chime in soon.

The early Tough County kit used a plate to drop one of the pivot points and was known do hit/break the pumpkin.

Solutions are longer bump stop, Different bracket, SAS.

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure others will chime in soon.

yeah pretty much

Rough Country and early Superlift kits (pre-'03 or so) were the biggest troublemakers in regards to busting up front diff housings. BDS and Trailmaster kits too.

A longer bumpstop would keep your diff away from the bracket, however it's a band-aid approach. I would instead suggest replacing that drop extension garbage with a full new replacement bracket that doesn't interfere with your suspension's movement, allowing you to set your bumpstop height according to the compressed length of your shocks.

Skyjacker, James Duff, and TUFF Country all provide new replacement brackets. Current Superlift kits do as well, though they still have some quality issues in other areas.

I recommend the Skyjacker cast drop bracket. It has a few spaced holes for lift adjustment, and one survived about 15 years of serious beating in my Explorer before I pulled it for a SAS. Still looked to be in very good condition, unlike the Superlift bracket I had to repair twice due to cracking.

Back