Wheels: Offset, Backspacing, & Wheel Spacers | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wheels: Offset, Backspacing, & Wheel Spacers

Offset and Backspacing

wheel_offset.gif

tech-wheelterms.gif

When you bought your vehicle from the dealership, engineers have put long hard hours to calculate a wheel and tire combo that would work well with the vehicle. Calculating width, diameter, offset, rear spacing, offset, and much more. Most people think; "The bolt patterns are the same, let's bolt them up." That is where people finally find a problem. Some may fit, some may not, and some will look unsightly. Anyhow, those engineers designed a wheel that would distribute load evenly on the wheel bearings, clear the rotors and braking system parts, and also keep you from rubbing your frame or front bumper. So, well, how do you figure out which works best and what is what - just tell me what I need and move on; right? Well, hopefully this thread will clear up some issues on wheels and how important some aspects of wheels are.

Backspacing is the distance from the inside bolting surface of the rim to the outer edge of the inboard side of the rim. Offset is the distance from the exact center of the rim to the outer edges of the rim. Positive offset means that the center of the wheel is moved towards the vehicle, while negative offset means the center of the wheel is moved away from the vehicle. Some images on the bottom will help figure this out.

wheel_offset.gif

In most cases, the factory wheels have positive offset (especially the new Explorers). Now most aftermarket wheels will have negative offset to push the wheel out further - reason being is to clear bigger tires and to keep you away from hitting frame, bumper, fender well, etc with your tires. The bad part is that there will be more load on the lugs, bearings, spindles, and even cause a larger turning radius. Also the tires will go past the fender well, which in some states can be illegal. Another good thing about negative offset besides clearing bigger tires is the imroved stability with being wider.

Measuring Offset and Backspacing:

33_body_backspacing1.gif

Backspacing is easy to measure. Place a straight edge across the wheel like above and then measure from the bottom of the straight edge to the mounting pad of the wheel. This will give you your backspacing measurments.

To calculate offset is even easier, measure the wheel's overall width, subtract its backspace measurement, and divide that by two. You're done.

Examples:

464729_152_full.gif

That picture is of my newest wheels (15x8s) with 3-3/4" backspacing and -19mm offset. That picture demonstrates how far the wheel is pushed out with that set up.

464729_51_full.gif

That picture is of the oldest setup which is 15x8s with 3.25" backspacing and -30 offset.

So if the backspacing is 3.25" and the offset is -30mm (-1.18 inches) and your wheel width is 8" then you have 3.57" of wheel that will stick out from where it mounts. It is a little complicated to understand, but it's simple once you do get the hang of it. Refer to the bottom for a picture. It is a rough estimate of what the measurments would look like with a wheel.

Use this to calculate MM to Inches and vise versa

NEW: Offset Calculator

Hope this helps a lot of people out. :thumbsup:

-Drew

Attachments

• tech-wheelterms.gif
    tech-wheelterms.gif
    22.4 KB · Views: 45,774

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you can just buy some 15" rims that match the lug nut size/distance OR I believe the website is spidertrax.com that sells wheel spacers & adapters. - ATTENTION - these are not cheap autozone/pep-boy stuff; they're designed and used for baja and serious riding!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

OK here is wait I am wanting to know I have a 1990 Ranger 2 wheel drive and I want to know can I mjake my rims from a 1992 F150 fit the Ranger. Now the Ranger has 14" on it and the F150 has 15"

The very first thing you should do is compare the bolt patterns of the two trucks. If the F150 has 6 lugs and the Ranger has 5 - you can quit now. Even if they have the same amount of lugs, you have to make sure the spacing between each lug is equal.

If you got past the bolt pattern part, why don't you just put one of your F150 wheels onto your Ranger? Even if the F150 tires are bigger and you can't drive the Ranger around, you might be able to shove it on just to determine if the wheel is getting in the way.

No one can answer a "will this rim fit" question accurately. Trying it on is the best test. I have 15" rims on both my Explorer & Dakota with the same bolt patterns. I was trying to diagnose vibration noises on the Ex, so I tried to put one of the Dak wheels on my Ex. It fit on paper, but even though the Dak's rims were the same external diameter, the internal slope was different and wasn't even close to clearing the Ex's brake caliper.

so what can i run on my 01 sport.. i want the tires to stick out atleast 2 inches what will 16x10 with a 4.50 backspace look like or will it even work

Anybody know what the max backspace for the '97 explorer is? I bought some wide 20" rims and they have a 6 inch backspace. the stock has a 4.5" (i think). do i need 1.5" spacers? what is the smallest spacer i can still clear? I fitted them today and found that they are hitting my upper ball joint, so i know i need some spacing.
Thanks,
Ryan

Got a lift and 33" x 12.50r15 = need spacers

I bought a 2" block lift for the rear, doing the washer thing for 2" in the front for my lift. I bought a set of 33x12.50R15 for 50.00 big bones.

However i am not sure if they will fit with just 2" of lift and did not know about needing to space the tires and rims. but i was think about it since the lines are so close to the tires and all. is there a quick fix till i can get the money for the spacers and if so would a set of washers work for now ?

...Just some quick help for ya...

..Your springs are under the axle so a 2" block will lower them...;)

...Do some searching on this Forum (search function on top of all pages) and you will find all your answers...For some more quick help, check out the "How to" in my signature for some more ideas on what you are looking to do...

K thank you

I need some help....I currently have 255/70/16 general grabber at/2's on my stock rims and its a 2002 explorer limited, I read the down falls to the spacers and have searched for hours. Can someone recomend the right size spacer i should order from the website below. I dont want them to stick out a crazy amount maybe just like half inch or inch out then are now for a more aggresive look.I dont have a lift and will prob get one in a year or 2. They go by mm and its hard for me to distinguish which ones to get.

http://www.drivewire.com/search/?N=...4966883&Ntt=wheel+spacers&Nr=AND(universal:0)

Will a rim off a 2004 fit A 99 even tho the offset is diffrent.

Will a rim off a 2004 fit A 99 even tho the offset is diffrent.

Maybe with spacers. Did you read the first post of this thread, explains it pretty well.

Hey check out my thread. I just put two inch spacers on and got a couple pics. Another kid has one inch. you can tell the diff for yourself.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2748708#post2748708

I need some help....I currently have 255/70/16 general grabber at/2's on my stock rims and its a 2002 explorer limited, I read the down falls to the spacers and have searched for hours. Can someone recomend the right size spacer i should order from the website below. I dont want them to stick out a crazy amount maybe just like half inch or inch out then are now for a more aggresive look.I dont have a lift and will prob get one in a year or 2. They go by mm and its hard for me to distinguish which ones to get.

http://www.drivewire.com/search/?N=...4966883&Ntt=wheel+spacers&Nr=AND(universal:0)

I'm having a heck of a time understanding this. I've been researching for a while now, and trying to figure out which wheels will fit my 2006 Explorer without spacers and the like. A lot of sites say the vehicle has "high positive" offset, more research shows my vehicle uses 44mm offset? I guess I'm just lost. I'm trying to buy a second set of wheels to install snow tires on, and really cannot figure out when they changed the offset on the Explorer to what it is on my generation... Help!

WHat brand spacers do you guys recommend? One of my current spacers literally broke an hour ago....my buddy happened to come down the road when it happened, tire went flying, fender is messed up smh....I need a particular brand with a high rating before i buy again

I've been looking to get some wheels for my 97 XLT. I've been looking at the Cragar soft 8's and the Cragar 365 V-5 wheels. Both are 15x8 wheels. The only difference is the following:

Soft 8's = 4" back spacing with -13mm offset
V-5 = 3.75" back spacing with -19mm offset

I did the math, and calculated how far off the hub the wheels will sit, and both were 3.50"

Does that mean they will both "stick out" the same amount? With that said, does anyone have a pic of either of those wheels from the front/rear of vehicle so i can see just how much they will stick out?

ok..i read all through the forum but still cant find this out...2005 Sports Trac XLS 2WD 18" Wheels with 255/55/18 with ET 0 question is do i need to lift my truck??

Thank you

Nice work and easy to understand.

kinda dead but i figure id ask anyways.

2 questions.
1. with my stock rims. a TT twist/ shackles. i have bought 1.5" wheel spacers. with that addition can i clear 33/12.5/15 without rubbing? or are 31" still my best bet?

2. im looking at a set of mustang rims. 17" im assuming 17x8? they have a 4.5" backspacing. this stuff is super confusing to me. since stock appears to be 3.5" does this mean my rims will stick out an additional 1" (negative offset) or will the extra inch pull the wheels farther under the truck?

over all im looking for my wheels to sit out farther for a more aggresive/ stable look.

Sounds easy but definetly still a little confusing. I have a 02 explorer an want to get wheels and tires that stick out and that almost sit flush with the outside of the fender. . From experience which backspacing or offset would you guys reccomend?

I have an 04 Limited 4x4 which sits on factory 17s. I'm wondering in mm what the offset is, I cant find it anywhere, nor can i figure out how to work it out. I will be fitting a set of 16x7s with 265/75 16s. The 16inch rims are +35 offset, will the fit my truck?

I have a 2004 limited. 17 inche wheels that the chrome is falling off.....want to get a\r baja or outlaws do i need spacers ?

Back