98 Sport 1st gear Trans Problem Help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 Sport 1st gear Trans Problem Help

The_Real_Doc

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary,Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Xplorer Sport 4x4
Hi, I am hopeing someone can help me out please.

I have a 1998 Ford Explorer 2 Dr Sport 4x4 with 4.0L SOHC I believe, and If I am correct it has a 5R55E Automatic O/D Transmission?

Well here is my problem, I was parked on the side of the road talking on my cellphone, I ended my call and was to drive off and I heard a noise and my explorer would not move, just barely it would try as it seems to be slipping i can hear a slight wind.
I was like ohh noooo. So I try it in 1st no go, 2nd gear it actualy does drive just fine and will switch to drive gear no problem after moving.
If I am in drive or 1st gear at a dead stop it will just slip and try to move and will barely pull forward as its slipping.The explorer works in reverse no problem and 2nd gear and will go to drive and overdrive as I shift once I am moving, but it will not start in drive or 1st gear.

I dont believe its the bands as all seems fine but 1st gear.I have read alot and am to believe reverse and 1st work together but I have reverse, and I am to think it has to do with a stuck solenoid? maybe the bracket or the solenoid itself? or servo or valvebody.

Does anyone know or had a similar problem like this.I have been driving my explorer for over 1000k like this starting off in 2nd gear and manually shifting to drive after I get moving.Its getting to be a real incovenience, especially when someone needs to borrow my SUV and I have to explain how to drive it :(
I am very mechanically inclined and am ready to pull the pan anytime now. So if anyone can point me in the right direction as to what to look for I would be very greatfull.It was too cold before to pull it apart and I have a few vehicles so I never got around to fixing it untill now.
Please help me if you have any knowledge in this area.

Thanks in advance.
Brent

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hallo
My name is Rasto.I have this problem too.I have Explorer 97 and trans.5R55E.
I rebuilt trans.and problem have forewer.I am very mechanically too but I need help.Advice me when you strike upon an idea.

HALLO
Whats you problem look like?Have you any solution on your Explorer?

Hi, Sorry no info still from anybody, I was going to try the junkyard and try to replace the valvebody, solenoids and servo and see if anything changes.
So far no replies about it at all.
I wish somebody could help as to me why I have no low gear, it just whines a little and slowly pulls like its slipping, but as I said reverse and all other gears work perfect.Let me know too if you find any information.
Thanks

Hi, I am hopeing someone can help me out please.

I have a 1998 Ford Explorer 2 Dr Sport 4x4 with 4.0L SOHC I believe, and If I am correct it has a 5R55E Automatic O/D Transmission?

Well here is my problem, I was parked on the side of the road talking on my cellphone, I ended my call and was to drive off and I heard a noise and my explorer would not move, just barely it would try as it seems to be slipping i can hear a slight wind.
I was like ohh noooo. So I try it in 1st no go, 2nd gear it actualy does drive just fine and will switch to drive gear no problem after moving.
If I am in drive or 1st gear at a dead stop it will just slip and try to move and will barely pull forward as its slipping.The explorer works in reverse no problem and 2nd gear and will go to drive and overdrive as I shift once I am moving, but it will not start in drive or 1st gear.

I dont believe its the bands as all seems fine but 1st gear.I have read alot and am to believe reverse and 1st work together but I have reverse, and I am to think it has to do with a stuck solenoid? maybe the bracket or the solenoid itself? or servo or valvebody.

Does anyone know or had a similar problem like this.I have been driving my explorer for over 1000k like this starting off in 2nd gear and manually shifting to drive after I get moving.Its getting to be a real incovenience, especially when someone needs to borrow my SUV and I have to explain how to drive it :(
I am very mechanically inclined and am ready to pull the pan anytime now. So if anyone can point me in the right direction as to what to look for I would be very greatfull.It was too cold before to pull it apart and I have a few vehicles so I never got around to fixing it untill now.
Please help me if you have any knowledge in this area.

Thanks in advance.
Brent

Monthly Bump

[Quote = The_Real_Doc; 2315896] Bump [/ quote]

Insert one stell plate into forward clutch.

i need help with this same exact problem!!! have you gotten any help, or fixed this problem yet?

No actual 2nd gear

I am not knowledgeable on transmissions but I do know that the 5R55E is very similar to the 4R55E and does not actually have a specific 2nd gear. The ratio obtained when selecting 2nd (1.47:1) is provided by engaging both 1st gear (2.47:1) and overdrive (0.75:1). Since you can drive in 2nd with no problems, I would guess that there are no mechanical problems with either 1st or overdrive. I suspect that you have a control problem. It is probably not the shift selector since it acts like the PCM knows that it is in Drive or 1st. I would think that the solenoid to engage 1st would also be used in 2nd. You need help from someone that knows the control system.

I am not knowledgeable on transmissions but I do know that the 5R55E is very similar to the 4R55E and does not actually have a specific 2nd gear. The ratio obtained when selecting 2nd (1.47:1) is provided by engaging both 1st gear (2.47:1) and overdrive (0.75:1). Since you can drive in 2nd with no problems, I would guess that there are no mechanical problems with either 1st or overdrive. I suspect that you have a control problem. It is probably not the shift selector since it acts like the PCM knows that it is in Drive or 1st. I would think that the solenoid to engage 1st would also be used in 2nd. You need help from someone that knows the control system.

Thanks for the time to help, and have interest in this thread.
As of today i still have this problem, I just replaced a new updated all parts valve body from central valvebodies.
The old valve body had no gasket tear problems, did notice the EPC solenoid bracket was cracked.I installed new valve body, new trans oil, and filter.
It did nothing.I put it in drive its like neutral, I put manually in 1st and it pulls a little slipping excessivly.I start in second gear and all is fine to drive through the rest of the gears.Reverse works perfect.

I just do not get it, I guess I am in for a rebuild or and different transmission.
The links above I allready read, they helped me for information but not progress.
Nobody has a answer for the 1st gear in the 5r55e problem. I can not figure it out, and what a pain to replace the transmission. I have 171,000 kms on it.probably drove 15,000 kms with starting off in second gear, I am tired of it.I just did the M0012 intake/chain tensioner update and that worked perfect, no more cold start idle problems.Just wish the transmission valve body would have fixed my other main problem.

So to those with the same problems, I can not address at this time or maybe ever how to fix it or what it is?
All I know is that it totally sucks when this happens, its not fun manually shifting the SUV 4x4 everywhere I go.

rastt1 ,( Insert one stell plate into forward clutch.)

you mentioned this in a earlier post, I am not understanding what you mean, did you fix this problem and what exactly was it if you did.?

Thanks all, thats my update and progress I have as of today.

Did anyone find a solution to this problem i have just ran into this problem with my 98 ford explorer XLT drive is neutral and so is first gear second gear works and then after like 15 mph i can put it back into drive every other gear works except for first gear. Let me know if anyone found a solution to this problem.

thanks!

Transmission control switch

I've puzzled over the no first gear problem for some time and happened on a possible source while reviewing my wiring diagrams. The digital transmission range (DTR) sensor contains 4 single pole 6 position switches that allow the PCM to determine the shift selector position by a short to ground binary code. When the selector is in Drive none of the switches are grounded. In Park all of the switches are grounded. The transmission control switch (TCS) is a momentary contact switch that signals the PCM to allow automatic shifts from 1st thru 5th or 1st thru 4th for the 5R55E and 1st thru 4th or 1st thru 3rd for the 4R70W. The switch is located near the steering column and receives power from fuse 27 (15 amps) in the central junction box. It just might be possible that if the fuse is blown or the switch is defective the PCM is not programmed to do anything as far as gear selection.

No change

Well I pulled fuse 27 from the central junction box to see what impact (if any) it might have on the transmission shifting. Even though the fuse powers both the TCS and the DTR sensor I did not detect any changes in the shifting on my 2000 Sport. However, the results may not be the same for other year models.

Trasmission Problem?

i have recently had a problem with shifting into 1st gear and overdrive. Last week the problem was fixed by replacing a fuse. now i have a different problem, now i cannot go into any gear but 2nd, including reverse, if i do shift into another gear my car will start whining and act like i am trying to drive in Neutral. UNLESS it is in 2nd Gear, if someone has any ideas on how to fix it please let me know

Bump

Bump,

Guess nobody has figured this problem out for the 5r55e.
Will have to replace with a low mile used one I guess.
Thanks for the help with those who tried..

Have the same issue on 1997 5R55E eddie bauer. If you put gear selection in 1 and gas up to 3-4 you hear a mecanical bad noise and a small pull forward. Otherwise in gear selection 2 and in D after that it gear shift like a dream. Have you anyone figured this out? Sorry to pull up such an old thread.

I had the broken tap so I lost reverse, and just the same here that I got this after a rebuild. Feels like we were very careful with everything, but this part worked as it should before rebuild. We checked valve body an extra time but same result.

To help with possibly determining a solution I will post up my experience as well:

I lost first gear on a camping trip after driving up a steep hill. After driving back down and getting on the highway all felt fine, then as I stopped for a light the trans dropped into neutral and I had to shift D-N-D to get it going again. This only worked a few times, then as I was pulling away from a stop the truck started going, then there was a clunk, a bad sounding rattle, and first gear was completely gone. I was able to use 2nd to start and then shift to D once going about 30, and got home that way.

It felt like it had trouble "staying" in gear, rather than slipping. Reverse is fine. I am trying to get a shop that can help with a diagnosis, but I might be looking at $500 just to find out it needs a rebuild. So I may try to pull the pan myself

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back