Front end noise from front left tire??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front end noise from front left tire???

martifd

Reaction score
City, State
Minneapolis MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
I have a humming sort of noise coming from my front driver tire. I also have a higher pitched humming noise coming from the rear which i believe is the pinion bearing. I can't aford to fix that now so i'm not worried about it now. My concern is the front end noise. The noise gets louder with the speed of the vehicle. One thing i noticed is around 65 the noise almost disapears. When i turn to the right the noise gets louder and dims when i turn to the left. There is no shaking the truck still rides smooth just the noise. My assumption was the front drivers wheel bearing so i changed the whole hub assembly. The noise is still there. If anything it might have gotten a little bit worse. Is there a possability that i got a bad assembly??? I also rotated the tires and changed the front dirrential and transfer fluid. What would the other possibilities be? I need to get this fixed, i don't feel safe when i have my kids in the truck on the highway. Any info i can get will be greatly appriciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's a 2002 6 cylinder.

Have someone else drive the vehicle while you sit in different seats to listen. Pretty common that what sounds like it is coming from one place sounds much different from a non-driver's seat. I've seen people on here mention that they thought driver's side, changed it, noise still there, changed passenger and then noise was gone.

Have someone else drive the vehicle while you sit in different seats to listen. Pretty common that what sounds like it is coming from one place sounds much different from a non-driver's seat. I've seen people on here mention that they thought driver's side, changed it, noise still there, changed passenger and then noise was gone.

I agree!

I tried that and it still sounded like it was coming from the driver side. But i'm thinkin about trying the passenger side as well, but the only thing is the hub assembly was 200. I heard that the rear aren't as expensive and aren't that hard to change. Has anyone changed one?

I've replaced them all before. If you are going to do the work yourself and plan on keeping the truck get a press because there will be more in the future. Plenty of instruction in this website. Even if you plan on buying the assembly, you will need to press it together or have a shop do them.

Well i found out what my problem was. It was my right front bearing. But after changing the bearing out i have a slight shake when going 70 or higher on the highway. I torqued the bearing bolts to 80 and spindle nut to 170 so i don't know where the shake could be coming from. Do the lug nuts have to be torqued to a certain spec, will over tightening them cause any problems? Any ideas of where the shake could be coming from would be of great help. Thanks

Lug nuts should be torqued to 100 ft lbs. I have replaced all my wheel bearings. I took my rear hub assemblies to the Ford dealer and they pressed out the old and pressed in the new for $80. Maybe your tires are out of balance ?

Lug nuts and spindle nut were too tight. Thanks

Back