• Register Today It's free!

Thermostat Housing Leak?

just2dune

Reaction score
City, State
mesa,az.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 explorer xlt
Took 02 Exlpr XLT 4.0 to dealer for a leak. Dealer says has warped thermostat housing, of course not covered under extended warranty. Going to take care of myself. Is it a basic thermostat and housing replacement or are there any tricks that I need to be aware of to make the job easier? Can't believe dealer quoted over $500 to replace..

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My GF's just started leaking today. Its a 10 minuites thing to replace yourself if you have some tools....

I just replaced my Moms on her 98 and had to remove the upper intake manifold. Her part was $230. For the 02 models the intake was redsesigned and made it EASY to take off....I literally took my GFs of in 5 minutes. Not sure of the price yet, its leaking at the seam so Im going to try some plastic weld or somthing first before I go looking for a new one.

My Moms was cracked so it couldnt be fixed at all....

For $230 tho, it came with new temp sensors and the thermostat as well.....Decently price for everything. I think wy GF's will be cheaper...it has One less sensor it it....

$500 is WAY too much!.....Bend over....:confused:

It cant be "warped" the dang thing is PLASTIC!

Many types of thermo-plastics CAN warp, so can ABS plastic, especially if there is uneven tension on the plastic mounts.

Took 02 Exlpr XLT 4.0 to dealer for a leak. Dealer says has warped thermostat housing, of course not covered under extended warranty. Going to take care of myself. Is it a basic thermostat and housing replacement or are there any tricks that I need to be aware of to make the job easier? Can't believe dealer quoted over $500 to replace..

Thanks!

it should be the lower thermostat housing...i actually replaced this on my 02 ex....you would have to drain the antifreeze from the car to replace the housing...i went ahead and got a new thermostat and replaced that as well...just make sure u get the housing, the gasket for the bottom of the housing and a thermostat...if your handy you shouldnt have a problem...here a link to the other thread http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2031438#post2031438

I have an 04 explorer 4.0 L flex fuel. I just replaced my housing, o-ring, gasket, coolant temp sensor and thermostat for less than $80.00. it took me about 20 minutes to take the old one out and put the new one in.

Let me know if you need help, I got most of my parts from Advance Auto Parts with the exception of the housing, housing had to be purchased from dealer for $53.00

All you need is pair of adjustable pliers and set of metric ratchet sets

This is the 2nd time I had to change mine. I have a 2002 XLT. What are the brands we should avoid or what besides the OEM is safe to replace with?

People complain about dorman, but they can be had for about 50 bucks. I figure if it goes 5 times I'm still ahead of paying close to 300 for a new ford one. I suggest swapping the thermostat while you are in there.

Back