Mounting a bike rack w/ only step bumper | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mounting a bike rack w/ only step bumper

specialkuz

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Eddie Bauer
I've been investigating this for a while, but have not really found a great solution. I'm trying to mount a bike rack on my 99 Eddie Bauer without having to install a full hitch receiver under my truck.

Is there a step-bumper hitch receiver option out there?
Has anyone else had any luck with a step-bumper bike rack?
Any other way to somehow mount a regular hitch-receiver bike rack on a step bumper?

Thanks a lot for the help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is one option on here...

http://www.trailerhitchuniverse.com/pages.php?pageid=9

TR-63123.JPG

Hitch mount bike racks attach directly to your receiver hitch. The shank of the bike rack slides into the receiver, and is held in place by a standard or locking hitch pin. When choosing a hitch-mounted rack, make sure to select the correct size shank to fit your receiver hitch - 1 ¼” or 2”.

The number of bikes that you can carry on a receiver-mounted hitch depends both on the rack and on the weight limit of your hitch. Check your owner’s manual to find out how much your hitch can carry. The weight you are looking for is called “Tongue Weight” or “TW”. 1 ¼” racks typically carry one or two bikes, while 2” racks can carry up to five.

Pros: Receiver mount racks can carry up to five bikes, and are very easy to use. Receiver mount bike racks are by far the most popular hitch bike racks, and have the most models to choose from.
Cons: A receiver mount rack uses the hitch, which means you can’t carry your bikes and tow a trailer at the same time. (If you need to carry bikes and tow at the same time, try one of our towing hitch mount bike racks shown below.)
Buy this rack if: You have a receiver hitch mounted on your vehicle, and you don’t need to tow a trailer while carrying your bikes.
Browse our Hitch Mount Bike Racks

oops, wrong one
homer_doh.gif
Would need to mount a ball on the bumper though...

SW-64800.JPG

Ball mount hitch bike racks attach to the hitch ball mounted on your bumper or drawbar of your receiver hitch. Ball mount racks will attach to most hitch balls, whether it is on your bumper or a 1 ¼” or 2” receiver.

Expert Tech Tip: Bumpers usually have lower weight limits than receiver hitches, so make sure to check your owner’s manual to make sure it can take the load of the rack. If you will need to carry a lot of bikes, you may need to purchase and install a receiver hitch and a hitch mount hitch bike rack.

Pros: You don’t need to have a receiver hitch to use these racks.
Cons: You won’t be able to carry as many bikes, and there is a smaller selection of racks to choose from.
Buy this rack if: You have a bumper-mounted or non-removable hitch ball, but no receiver hitch and you don’t need to carry more than three bikes.

I have a swagman three bike rack and i just use a bolt and put on the step bumper when i need it works great but the down side is not beieg able to open the tailgate?

Back