How To: Upgrade and Beef-up 5R55W/S Transmissions | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Upgrade and Beef-up 5R55W/S Transmissions

while I was searching http://www.fordparts.com I found that ford provides a master rebuild kit, MSRP price $376.52 and you can find it online as low as $284.19

Ford #7L2Z-7H575-A
Motorcraft #MTK-K2700-F

which includes everything you need for a complete rebuild

• All New OEM Clutches
  • All New OEM Steels ( YOU WILL NEED STEELS!)
  • All New OEM Flex Bands
  • All New OEM Sealing Rings
  • All New OEM Metal Clad Seals
  • All New OEM Paper Gaskets
  • All New OEM O-Rings
  • All New OEM Gaskets

As it illustrated in the following diagram

you may need to add the following parts to the kit

Forward clutch piston
Low reverse piston

Attachments

• Motorcraft Overhaul Kit.jpg
    Motorcraft Overhaul Kit.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 83,631

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wow... great write up.

Did you have someone drop the trans, you do the rebuild, then have someone re-install it? Or was the $550 the labor to drop rebuild and reinstall the trans with your upgraded parts?

I leaning toward just ordering the completed PA bullet proof trans for $3,200 and then having someone throw it up for me.

Good info. I've been watching the Pan/dipstick combo for almost a year since it came out.

Does anyone know if there is a safe port/plug on the side of the transmission where I can install a temp sender for a gauge?

Rob

Rob...the solenoid block has a temp sender built in and that gets sent to the pcm. You can read it easily in real-time if u pick up a scanguage 2. Though you could put a sensor inline with the fluid cooler line and pick it up that way.

I have the deep pan but have not yet installed. Best to do it with the transmission out otherwise you have to remove the y pipe to get it in there. I may even sell the pan and install a larger cooler so if u are interested in buying let me know.

wow... great write up.

Did you have someone drop the trans, you do the rebuild, then have someone re-install it? Or was the $?

I leaning toward just ordering the completed PA bullet proof trans for $3,200 and then having someone throw it up for me.

Good info. I've been watching the Pan/dipstick combo for almost a year since it came out.

Does anyone know if there is a safe port/plug on the side of the transmission where I can install a temp sender for a gauge?

Rob

the $550 was the labor to drop the rebuild and reinstall the trans with TCI upgraded parts, first time.

the second rebuild with Motorcraft #MTK-K2700-F rebuild kit, the labor cost was only $400

if you are going to install AP deep pan with dipstick I recommend to install Summit Racing Remote Transmission Filter Kit #G4980 with MotorCarft FL-400S Filter

sum-g4980_w.jpg

Secondary Transmission Filter Installed (Feedback)

with that you do not need to drop the pan to do a trans flush

just keep change the remote trans oil filter every time you change the engine oil filter

this will keep the trans ATF fresh and very clean

How is the truck running now with the Level 10 rebuild? I am going to to do the Servos, valve body, solenoid block and rebuild kit.

One more question, did you or the mechanic shop have to bore the servo holes for the TCI servos?

How is the truck running now with the Level 10 rebuild? I am going to to do the Servos, valve body, solenoid block and rebuild kit.

Due to holidays season and forwarding problems, I did not receive Level 10 rebuild kit here in Saudi Arabia and I'm still waiting for it.

and because of that I had to use Motorcraft #MTK-K2700-F rebuild kit for the time been.

the transmission now runs flawlessly and with the Cold-Start Valve, valve body Modification the transmission does not overheat any more even with my abuse

One more question, did you or the mechanic shop have to bore the servo holes for the TCI servos?

The TCI servo kit did not require any boring, just a direct fitting. (I installed it in first place to to increase durability and longevity)

Great thread and great writeup! Thanks for posting all this! :thumbsup:

I've got a few questions:

What are the part numbers for the (1) forward clutch piston, (2) low reverse piston, (3) OEM solenoid pack, and the (4) OEM torque converter? I wanted to located these parts as well as the prices.

What are your thought on the OEM master rebuild kit components? Do you expect the clutch pack components and bands to hold up better than the Alto Red Eagle and Kolene components you didn't like?

Hello -

I'm going to be rebuilding my 5R55W soon.... did the kits you used include new bushings and bearings as well as all of the soft parts/clutches/steels? I'm hoping to find a kit that contains everything in one package.

I really appreciate that! :)

Did you buy all of the bearings and bushings seperately/individually or as a kit? I'm hoping I do not have to order them one at a time...

I have a stock pan do you think i could still use the remote filter from summit? I just had my transmission flushed about 1000 miles ago so anything i can do to keep that fluid clean is worth it.

I have a stock pan do you think i could still use the remote filter from summit? I just had my transmission flushed about 1000 miles ago so anything i can do to keep that fluid clean is worth it.

yes you can and should use the remote filter and this setup can keep your ATF fresh and clean

Im pretty happy i found this one!

I just got done rebuilding the suspension on my truck, and not a week later my transmission blew the solenoid pack. While investigating i found that i have a leaking seal upfront somewhere. And as such ive decided that at 140,000 rough miles its time for me to bite the bullet and rebuild this thing. Im going to practicaly mirror your build!

A few questions for you all if your still around!

I have the 5r55w thats set up for the v8 explorer, are there any compatabilty issues that i should be aware of for this build?

Has anyone had any luck with the level 10 rebuild kit?
Do those servo kits negate the need to bore and sleeve the servo bores?
does anyone know if level 10's super solenoids come as a kit to be placed into the solenoid pack? or am i looking at buying three of them?
Did you do the rebuild yourself? what kind of special tooling was required?
Would that hardened input shaft fit the 5r55w as well?
would it be wise to replace the bearings at the time of this rebuild?

Thanks!

Im pretty happy i found this one!

I just got done rebuilding the suspension on my truck, and not a week later my transmission blew the solenoid pack. While investigating i found that i have a leaking seal upfront somewhere. And as such ive decided that at 140,000 rough miles its time for me to bite the bullet and rebuild this thing. Im going to practicaly mirror your build!

A few questions for you all if your still around!

I have the 5r55w thats set up for the v8 explorer, are there any compatabilty issues that i should be aware of for this build?

5R55W have the same rebuild parts as 5R55S. the deference between them is only in the ratio and the related parts

Has anyone had any luck with the level 10 rebuild kit?

Finally I received level 10 rebuild kit

The Kit consist of:

• 5R55W/S raybestos clutches
  • 5R55W/S OEM forward bands
  • 5R55W/S OEM forward Piston
  • 5R55W/S OEM Int. & O/D servos
  • 5R55W/S OEM oil filter
  • TransTech paper and rubber with sealing rings and bushing kit
  • Superior Solutions line pressure relief valve kit A46507A-1 #K060

I recommend buying OEM rebuild kit along with Superior Solutions line pressure relief valve kit A46507A-1 #K060

Do those servo kits negate the need to bore and sleeve the servo bores?

TCI servos help preventing or actually delaying the bores wearing. if the bores wear already then you have to bore and sleeve.

does anyone know if level 10's super solenoids come as a kit to be placed into the solenoid pack? or am i looking at buying three of them?

I recommend to buy the solenoid pack from ford dealer to get the latest updated version

Did you do the rebuild yourself? what kind of special tooling was required?

Nope I did it at a trans shop

Would that hardened input shaft fit the 5r55w as well?

yes it will fit

would it be wise to replace the bearings at the time of this rebuild?

Thanks!

it depends on the condition of your bearing.

But if you can replace them with Torrington Bearing then do so.

Was wondering how the tranny is working after the last rebuild??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you run the auxiliary filter do you still run the one inside the pan?

Back