• Register Today It's free!

fuel reset button?

m8r8j

Reaction score
City, State
ipswich, ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 xls, 4.0
yea i was ripping out my bwm wires (had the switch in the glove box) and i discovered the "fuel reset" button. what is this???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if it's anything like what i'm thinking its if you get in a major accident that will catch a switch to shut off your fuel pump (so you don't blow up!!![or waste gas ha ha lol])

if it's anything like what i'm thinking its if you get in a major accident that will catch a switch to shut off your fuel pump (so you don't blow up!!![or waste gas ha ha lol])

Yep exactly. They are on every explorer ever made. Except mine doesn't work, or at least it didn't when I wrecked it :rolleyes:

Yep exactly. They are on every explorer ever made. Except mine doesn't work, or at least it didn't when I wrecked it :rolleyes:

psh not just every explorer practically every vehicle since the mid '80's has had one

I thought it was a Ford thing :scratch:
nope my ex-girlfriends saturn had it...she kicked it getting out once and that tripped it then she had to call me over when it wouldn't start took me damn near an hour to figure out that that might have been it and then, since she no longer had the owners manual, took me another half hour to find it...it was right next to the gas pedal back on the firewall almost

The "Fuel Reset Button" is designed to automatically engage in case of an accident (sort of like airbags)...engage = turn off fuel pump/system...when you "reset", you restore operation of the pump/system.

FYI, the inertia switch is also an excellent theft deterrent. When you want to keep the vehicle from starting, just smack the switch hard to displace the little red button in it. Push the red button back down when you want it to work. Regards,

Back