• Register Today It's free!

Wiper Pivot Shaft Linkage

medefries

Reaction score
City, State
Bellingham, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Limited
Hello guys, I have a 93 explorer with a windsheild wiper problem. The driver side pivot shaft linkage has popped off the pivot shaft arm. I have the cover off and can re-attach the linkage. I can't see what is supposed to make it stay on the shaft. There does not seem to be a retainer or even a place for one. Anybody know?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Come on guys. Somebody has to know something.

There is a small metal clip about the size of a quarter that clips onto the end of the shaft. I couldn't find it anywhere except for the Ford Dealer unfortunately. It was $17 for something that probably cost .50 to make.

Thanks for the response. I couldn't see or feel where a clip might go. I've dealt with the clips on the motor shaft but not on the wiper shaft. I'll finish taking it out tomorrow. For $17 I might try to make something. Thanks again.

OK here's the answer. The clip that 94Eddie refers to is the one on the motor shaft. The linkage on the pivot shaft end uses a plastic cap that snaps over a ball on the pivot shaft arm. Niether the plastic cap or the pivot shaft and linkage assy are available from the dealer anymore. Being plastic makes it unlikely to find one in a wrecking yard that would be much better than the one I have. Mine was simpley worn to the point that it would not snap over the ball. I'm sure there are better ways to repair this with aif you have a welder or a machine shop, but here's what I did.

Turn the wipers on till they are at the top of the stroke, turn the key off so they stay up.
Lift the wiper arms, release the retainer at the base, lift the arms off the shafts.
Remove the cruise control diaphragm mounting bolt and lay the diaphragm out of the way.
Remove the two rectangular access plates in the firewall just under the pivot shafts.
Remove the 1-1/8 nuts from the pivot shafts and let them drop through the holes.
Reach into the hole in the center of the firewall and remove the retaining clip from the motor shaft. With the wipers up, this in very close to the hole. Lift the tab at the top of the clip and slide the clip off.
Slide the two linkages off the motor shaft.
Slide the pivot shaft and linkage out of the access hole depending on which side you're working on.
I was able to make a retainer with .032 safety wire by wrapping it around the ball on the pivot shaft arm and bringing it up and behind the plastic cap on the linkage. By pulling it up tight and twisting it, it holds the linkage to the ball so it can't jump off, but still uses the cap as a bushing.
After repairs, slide the assembly back through the access hole. Be sure the pivot shaft arms are facing down and slide the linkage back on to the motor shaft.
The drivers side goes on first. Place the retaining clip back on the passenger side linkage, then snap the linkage back over the shaft so both linkages are locked on.
Reaching throught the access holes, re-install the pivot shafts. Test to ensure proper operation, then finish putting everything back in place.

I hope that helps someone else. Note: If you only have a problem with the passenger side, you may not have to remove the access cover, the cruise control diaphagm or the pivot shaft on the driver side.

Thanks man, I've been looking for ever fr a walk through on how to do this....I hope these instructions workon my 98 Ford Explorer....I'll give it a whirl soon!!

OK here's the answer. The clip that 94Eddie refers to is the one on the motor shaft. The linkage on the pivot shaft end uses a plastic cap that snaps over a ball on the pivot shaft arm. Niether the plastic cap or the pivot shaft and linkage assy are available from the dealer anymore. Being plastic makes it unlikely to find one in a wrecking yard that would be much better than the one I have. Mine was simpley worn to the point that it would not snap over the ball. I'm sure there are better ways to repair this with aif you have a welder or a machine shop, but here's what I did.

Turn the wipers on till they are at the top of the stroke, turn the key off so they stay up.
Lift the wiper arms, release the retainer at the base, lift the arms off the shafts.
Remove the cruise control diaphragm mounting bolt and lay the diaphragm out of the way.
Remove the two rectangular access plates in the firewall just under the pivot shafts.
Remove the 1-1/8 nuts from the pivot shafts and let them drop through the holes.
Reach into the hole in the center of the firewall and remove the retaining clip from the motor shaft. With the wipers up, this in very close to the hole. Lift the tab at the top of the clip and slide the clip off.
Slide the two linkages off the motor shaft.
Slide the pivot shaft and linkage out of the access hole depending on which side you're working on.
I was able to make a retainer with .032 safety wire by wrapping it around the ball on the pivot shaft arm and bringing it up and behind the plastic cap on the linkage. By pulling it up tight and twisting it, it holds the linkage to the ball so it can't jump off, but still uses the cap as a bushing.
After repairs, slide the assembly back through the access hole. Be sure the pivot shaft arms are facing down and slide the linkage back on to the motor shaft.
The drivers side goes on first. Place the retaining clip back on the passenger side linkage, then snap the linkage back over the shaft so both linkages are locked on.
Reaching throught the access holes, re-install the pivot shafts. Test to ensure proper operation, then finish putting everything back in place.

I hope that helps someone else. Note: If you only have a problem with the passenger side, you may not have to remove the access cover, the cruise control diaphagm or the pivot shaft on the driver side.

Thinking the same thing. Brother in law just gave me his 89 Ranger. same issue. found the clip, but $25 shipped is crazy. Some wire will work just fine on it.
thanks for the tip

Fix

Used it tonight on my '02 ford Exp Sport, was about to tap drill the metal bit and use bolt nuts and washers then came across this @ Advanced
175910.jpg
& found the same on Amazon Dorman 49447 HELP! Wiper Linkage Bushing
31ew-7FOK9L.jpg

WORTH EVERY FRIGGIN PENNY OF THE $5 extras included!! lol

Good luck guys!

Fix

Used it tonight on my '02 ford Exp Sport, was about to tap drill the metal bit ...WORTH EVERY FRIGGIN PENNY OF THE $5 extras included!! lol Good luck guys!

While I'm happy this worked out for you, I note that you posted this in the 1991-1994 Explorers section. I wish I'd noticed this before buying this kit and attempting to fix my 1995 Ford Explorer. Turns out, as far as I can tell, this kit won't work for me and I can't find linkage for the '95 anywhere online or in stores. I may go with the solution medefries posted above unless someone has a better suggestion (my driver side wiper is not working, the connecting arm came off, the bushing appears to have broken).

Back