97 Ford Explorer will not come out of park. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 Ford Explorer will not come out of park.

RJSNASCAR

Reaction score
Was wondering if any body knows what to do when your vehicle will not move out of park. I have a 97 explorer .. automatic 6 cyclinder 4.0L put it in park got back in to leave and it will not come put of park. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is in a driveline bind. Try to rock it back and forth to relieve the pressure. If that fails, block the front tires, jack up the rear end by the differential to lift both tires barely off the ground. Grab one tire and move it forward and back a little. Either carefully try to move the gear shifter at this point, or lower the truck, then try it.

It's either that or the shift interlock isn't working. It is triggered by the Brake on/off (BOO) switch. Are your brake lights working? That will tell you if that switch is bad. If not that the solenoid that triggers the interlock could be bad.

Doh!

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread to the stock 95-01 section. Check the fuses. The interlock solenoid is electric. It won't activate if there is no power in the circuit.

you have a BAD BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH IT HAD TO ME AT MALL STUCK GAS STATION MY DAD BYPASS SO I GET INTO DRIVE WHEN I GOT HOME MY DAD FIX WIRING TO BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH AND I PUT NEW BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH AFTER THAT NOMORE PROBLEM MY WIFE SAID YOU BUY BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH NOW:salute:

wow...

If you cannot pull the shift lever towards you with the ignition on and your foot on the brakes, the problem is with the interlock. A bad brake light switch, blown fuse, or other broken circuit can cause the brake-shift interlock to not release the lever. That's the most likely culprit.

The quickest way around it in a bind is to unlock the steering column by turning the key to the UNLOCK position, but NOT to the RUN position. If the dash lights up or the radio comes on, you turned it too far. Then, depress the brakes, and shift to NEUTRAL, then start the engine. You'll have to repeat the sequence every time you want to start it until you solve the problem, but it can be done.

As mentioned, it's likely either a blown fuse for the brake on-off switch, a bad brake on-off switch, or a wiring issue.

Back