Turbo on 2000 Limited 5.0 | Page 30 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Turbo on 2000 Limited 5.0

Turbo compressor map.gif
Well guys, I don't even have it yet and I'm looking at going turbo.

I think I'll be going STS style with the turbo underneath the the body. I'm hoping I can find room somewhere closer to the front to mount it. If not, I may just go classic style and cut the muffler out and install the turbo in its place.

Tim was kind enough to point me at a turbo for sale locally. I'm checking it out now. I sent the specs to James Henson to see what his thoughts are.

Here's the specs:
t4 F1-68 turbine .68 a/r housing 3" exhaust outlet with a 72mm compressor blade 4inch inlet, 2.5 inch outlet, journal bearing. Also, see compressor map attached. I have a vague understanding, and that concerns me.

Now, the next issue is oil routing.
Oil in to the turbo would be handled from a T off the oil pressure sending unit on the block. Return oil would need a scavenge pump to the top of the oil pan, or in the timing chain cover. The scavenge pump adds quite a bit of cost to the setup. I think saving a few bucks in this area would spell disaster. So, this seems to be the best pump out there:
http://turbowerx.com/Scavenge_Pumps/Exa-Pump/Exa-Pump.html
Stainless steel oil lines will have to be used. As I read about under cab mounted turbo's oil issues seem to be a huge issue. This is going to require careful thought and routing.

My real issue is routing the air filter and compressed air up to the engine bay.
The frame rails will be the the way. I saw one guy notched out his frame for the plumbing and re-enforced the frame by welding metal around the plumbing line (3 inch or 4 inch hole). I'm concerned about running the two pipes and think this will be the biggest challenge. I really don't want that air filter under the truck.
See what this guy did on his ranger?

As for Maf? Pro-M all the way, in a blow thru design.

Fuel pump, injectors, sct go without saying. I'll be having James put together a care package for me along with the Pro-M.
Aeromotive Stealth 340 pump
Bosch uscar (EV6) 60lb injectors part # 108191

I'll recycle my boost gauge and wide band o2 from my supercharged 4.0 ohv.

I'll be using stainless steel for everything under the truck as rust always seems to be an issue.

Also. intercooling. I learned from my last project that cool intake air is incredibly important. People say on under cabin turbo's you don't really need it as the compressed air cools on the way up. Not good enough for me. Im going to go air/water so I have flexibility as to where I mount the intercooler. This could change, but intercooling of some form is a must.

My eye's are watering at what this is going to cost.

I see 02Limited turbo'd his, but he must have had quite a few issues and fell off the forum.

Not much info on guys completing something like this to be found. All input appreciated.

This will be a long process.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Big Block

I for one can not afford a big block.
Dono's truck is not a lost cause or waste of money, it is his truck and a very unique one at that.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I like how that fits in there. I hope it cools very well.

I've got a Super Duty trans cooler I've planned to mount where the AC condenser is, and moving the condenser forward a little. Maybe I can get the trans cooler down below like that heat exchanger, and behind it. I wasn't sure there was room and enough airflow for them.

Keep us updated on how the IAT's go before and after.

I'm long past what makes sense. :( Thanks Tim! (Tim and many others on this forum)

Honestly, I could spend he money and have a high monthly payment, or have something eccentric and different. Is it painful sometimes :) .

So, I get pissed off at the last round of pain, and take my truck to a shop and say 'fix it, whats it going to cost'. the shop says 'we don't really know', everywhere we look someone has modified this thing and we don't want to touch it'. How can that not put a smile on your face?

I even had a guy drawing diagrams trying to figure out my pcv system. I'm learning tons. I'm not the brightest bulb, but I am learning. I'm not giving up yet.

I really appreciate everyone here working with me, and teaching me. One day I'll quit, but not yet.

I'm long past what makes sense. :( Thanks Tim!

just remember, you started it! lol. remember?
you "hi, i am putting a m90 on my ohv 4L and want to know if you can help me with a bracket i need to modify?"
me "wth is a m90?"

As long as my new motor doesn't eat its self again, I'm good.

Its in to the fun stuff again. My bumpers on, pump and hoses are ran. The pump ended up just inside the frame rail behind the radiator. Its actually a pretty protected spot.

I'm one hose clamp, some coolant, and a bit of wiring away from a functioning air/water intercooling system. I needed to pick up some things to finish and got caught in some rather unusual weather for this area. I never made it, and will get my 'shopping' done today.

Yesterday I torture tested my air filter location. Massive rain and some street flooding. I'm happy to report that there were no issues.

I did however have that pesky cam position code pop up again. I have a feeling its alternator related as Turtle and others here have seen in the past. I was stuck in the extremely high heat, e-fan on high, cabin fan on high, headlights on, and stuck in bumper to bumper non moving traffic. When the code threw, I could see my alternator gauge was extremely low. I was obviously drawing way more current than the alternator was giving at idle. I'll pop the cps sensor off and have a look to be sure. If its ok, I will either live with this possible issue, or start trying to hunt for a 'upgraded' alternator.

I suggest buying a spare 4G alternator, for a vehicle with a large number of notable current loads at idle. I doubt that you have enough things running at idle to tax a stock 140amp 4G unit. But it would be smart to have a spare of some parts like the alternator for your truck.

Mounted radiator with bumper on

Its all together.
The system holds just over a gallon.
So far, the relay is just tapped off the hobbs switch and turns on at under 1lb boost.
There were absolutely no issues with pump priming with it mounted below the top of the radiator. I was able to install a fill cap right where my factory air box used to be, so filling is very easy.
I need to do some logging now and see exactly how well the system works. More to come.

Oh, Vroomzoomboom, could you email me a wot datalog?
At about 7lbs boost I still have detonation. I am sitting at about 17 degree's timing. I want to have a look at where your at for timing.

Attachments

• IMG_20150906_144941.jpg
    IMG_20150906_144941.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 163

Oh, Vroomzoomboom, could you email me a wot datalog?
At about 7lbs boost I still have detonation. I am sitting at about 17 degree's timing. I want to have a look at where your at for timing.

that may take some time now. i just changed my temp sensor location (the guy who is going to tune it asked me to do that) and i just bought some rims with tires on them, and i cant even hook up any more. not even in third gear! and to make things worse, i never did save any of my old datalogs :(

that may take some time now. i just changed my temp sensor location (the guy who is going to tune it asked me to do that) and i just bought some rims with tires on them, and i cant even hook up any more. not even in third gear! and to make things worse, i never did save any of my old datalogs :(

So, you kinda need to stay in 4x4 to flog evil. Wow.
Get pics up of Evil with the new rims!
I'm just curious on the timing. End of the day, I still need to pull more timing out.

I have some initial data on my intercooler.
2 pulls from different days.

Without intercooler:
Start of WOT pull (ambient): 90 degrees
Highest iat: 168 degrees
Differential: 78 degrees

With intercooler:
Start of WOT pull (ambient): 62 degree's
Highest iat: 106 degrees
Differential: 44 degree's

The intercooler setup is providing 34 degree 's lower iat's with the coolant cycling thru it. I'd call that a success.

Hell yea..nice job.what type of coolant are you using??i went to a mix of antifreeze and stuff called purple ice (i think that was its name) and i did see a difference of about 8*..its expensive so doubt you could or would want to run it pure without water, but sure you need alot more antifreeze then us down here..lol think i hold little over 2-3 liters in my system. Ive been thinking of adding a second cooler like you got,why i asked where you got it from especially if it holds lots of water and is working good like you say

O and that number of 106* is BEAUTIFUL..i see a cooling differences of 62* at WOT where its important ..thats lower than my ambient temps..:notworthy:notworthy:biggthump

Great IAT's, no need to run freon through the reservoir bottle(my odd thought ages ago).

I'm using a 50/50 coolant water mix with a water wetter of some kind (Not sure the brand).

I don't know how you manage below ambient temps. I'm thinking my next step would be to pull the water/meth kit off the black truck and install it in my turbo'd explorer.
Somehow, I think its just more added complexity that I don't need. Being a daily driver I need to be able to just drive it with little babysitting.

I'll look thru my ebay purchase history and see if I can find that radiator. If your already cooler than ambient, I wouldn't think you would need to bother though.

Guess we should ask what was ambient for you for those two runs??at a max of 106 at wot i dont think you need anything else

Yea if you can find it i and sure others would like to copy you..lol i thinking for when future boost is added and i spin that thing towards its max

I sent you a pm on what I think was the rad I used.
Also, I show ambient temps in my post above. My 'Start of WOT pull' is ambient temp.

I sent you a pm on what I think was the rad I used.
Also, I show ambient temps in my post above. My 'Start of WOT pull' is ambient temp.

Got it,thanks..

I didnt know if the pulls were done same day or not.the second one you said ""it was even cooling off there ""so didnt know what ambient was or if it was close

Yea, sorry. Poorly worded. I fixed up the wording, and was hopefully more specific.

I bumped my pressure up to 9 lbs.
Intercooler system didn't net stellar performance with the pressure up.

Start of pull: 86
End of pull : 150

Meziere MEZ-WP136S flows 1200 gph
Bosch Cobra pump flows 317 gph

I won't be making any immediate changes, but thing a higher flow pump would be the easiest change.
I think it would be prudent to run myself an led so I can make sure the pump is actually turning on when it should.

Back