Installing AUX port in my 2006 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing AUX port in my 2006 Explorer

bklyncyclones144

Reaction score
Hey first off just want to say this is a pretty awesome community. You guys have some pretty insane setups in your cars and i'm hoping to get mine looking like a few of them. Right now I just have a totally stock 2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer and am looking to install an AUX port to use my ipod in the car. I am really good with soldering and things like that because I work on computers so if there are any options for me to install a means of using my ipod without having to buy some adaptor that would be great. Thanks for any replies and sorry if there are already posts on just this subject - I did a little searching before creating this thread but couldn't find any threads on doing this alone. Thanks again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BTW I have read around a bit more over the last day, and the head unit really isnt important to me, I plan on taking it out in the future anyway because it is really picky on the media it can read and overall am I barely pleased with it (not to insult anyone who is in love with it, just not really my preference) All I really need is a way to hook up my Ipod. If anyone could possibly reply with a method of hardwiring an aux port directly to the stereo that would be great. Thanks.

I have an 06 XLT w/ 6 disc changer and used a $60 part to install an mp3 jack... the Peripheral pxdx2 worked for this but it's very specific to your HU so check w/ a pro installer.

You need to pull the head unit to install the harness adapter, which actually was not too bad. Good luck!

Thanks a lot for the response.

I looked up that device and for about $75 plus shipping I can get my hands on one. Seems to be reliable and isn't THAT steep if it is what must be done. I am really optimally looking to find some sort of way to just to the wiring myself. If anyone has any suggestions on how this can be done that would be great. Even if the method may seem very hard please come forward with it because as someone who works on computer circuitry, wiring diagrams and the likes are very common to me and shouldn't be too much for me to handle. Again thanks for any replies I appreciate it.

Once I installed the mp3 jack it's pretty rare for me to listen to CD's so the picky about media thing should be less of issue once you get it done. It takes long enough to tear apart the dash and install a new harness, futzing around with soldering means your car is prolly gonna be ripped apart for at least a day or two which for me is not worth it. Good luck though!

BTW I have read around a bit more over the last day, and the head unit really isnt important to me, I plan on taking it out in the future anyway because
Why not buy an aftermarket stereo with an aux-in already on it, some have also have usb ports or SD memory card slots. If you're going to replace the unit anyway, you may as well consider than an option

Back