clicking noise during idle question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

clicking noise during idle question

GuySmiley

Reaction score
City, State
Airdrie Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Sport Trac
Hey there, my sport trac makes a weird noise during idle. About every 45 seconds to a minute it makes like a clicking sound (just once). The rpm's don't change, it just makes this noice and I don't know what it is.

My old 96 Ranger I used to have would do the same thing but the idle would change and rev a little higher.

I am not worried about it I just want to know what causes it and it this is normal.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hear it too. but i think its just the thermostat. because everytime i hear it the fan kicks on high and the temp drops.

Thaaats what the sound is? Man, thank god for this forum...lol

ive always wondered what that click was

It's more than likely the air conditioning compressor.
The compressor will run in every position except for off, face vents only, or floor vents only. Defrost, floor and face, a/c and everything will have the compressor cycling. Open the hood and watch for the clutch to cycle.

It's more than likely the air conditioning compressor.
The compressor will run in every position except for off, face vents only, or floor vents only. Defrost, floor and face, a/c and everything will have the compressor cycling. Open the hood and watch for the clutch to cycle.

That makes sense. I usually keep it on defrost/floor so it would be on. When you say clutch to cycle do you mean on the compressor itsalef?

Thanks

haha if thats what it is then i feel like and idiot, i didnt even think of that lol :hammer:

This site is freakin' awesome, I was just gonna post this question as I hear the compressor kick on when I don't expect it, will keep the setting on either just face or just floor when A/C isn't wanted....not sure why Ford would do that since it does have the A/C settings....

Back