• Register Today It's free!

blown out servo cover - 5r55e

dakotablu

Reaction score
City, State
Rapid City, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ranger XLT 4X4 4.0L
I can't believe my luck. I just purchased a 2000 Ranger XLT 4X4 4.0L with 39400 miles on it. A 2 owner truck. When I drove it home I noticed a little shutter when it shifted. I decided to check all the fluid levels - shifted through the gears - switched to 4W high - switched to 4W low - no indicator
light. Put it back in 2W high and went to check the dipstick. Tranny fluid running out on the driveway. Turned it off - probably lost 1/2 quart. Got underneath and discovered that the OD servo cover had popped loose with the lock ring still halfway on.

I've read alot of the threads and I think I'm going to tackle this myself. There's a few different ways I can go and I'd sure like everyone's input before I start.

I've tried to press the cover back in to get the lock ring in place but I'm probably going to have to get or make a special tool. Unfortunately, the thread showing the homemade one won't show the pictures for some reason. Once I get the cover back on I could just top off the fluid and hope for the best but I still won't know what caused the tranny to go to max pressure.

I did call the local AAMCO - last 5r55e they did was $2800.

Here's my tentative plan:

I'm assuming that the computer went to "limp" mode - whether or not switching to 4W low was the cause I don't know. Any thoughts here would be greatly appreciated.

Should I go with the Superior or the TransGo kit talked about in the 5R55E rebuild diary. Additionally, should I buy a new EPC solenoid with only 39K miles or take the chance.

Well, I'm going to see what kind of feedback I get from everyone. The bad part is I'll be doing this in a carport so I'm praying for good weather. Thanks in advance to all that respond.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This one I made with a scrap of 1" tubing, and a muffler clamp. Also 2 bolts matching threads of the pan, but a little longer.

3391.jpg

first, I would try a block of wood & a prybar since the servo hasn't popped out all the way. I had one happen on a GM tranny; pushed it back in & it never leaked again.
those pesky catalytic converters get in the was on Fords !

J...may need to enlist a frien for a third hand !

don't know why drdoom but i just get the red X for your picture

What browser are you running?

3391.jpg

drdoom - got the pictures - thx
do you just tighten the muffler clamp nut to compress?

I'm under the vehicle now and I can't get the cover to compress - I'm guessing that the piston might be ****ed just enough that the cover won't re-aline. I can probably cut a 2X4 and put more pressure on it but I wondering if I'll damage the piston bore. I haven't tried to remove the cover but the lock ring came completely off while I was trying to compress. what do you think?

I'm working tomorrow and Monday so I can't always give quick responses. I'm off on Tuesday and that's when things will get serious. I'm going to order all the stuff listed in the steps to 5r55e repair diary. Bad part is that we're looking at 1-3 inches of snow Sunday night.

drdoom - got the pictures - thx
do you just tighten the muffler clamp nut to compress?

I'm under the vehicle now and I can't get the cover to compress - I'm guessing that the piston might be ****ed just enough that the cover won't re-aline. I can probably cut a 2X4 and put more pressure on it but I wondering if I'll damage the piston bore. I haven't tried to remove the cover but the lock ring came completely off while I was trying to compress. what do you think?

Dakota, yes, I just tightened the nut on the muffler clamp (cut into a "J" hook) to compress...shouldn't take much pressure. But consider the following: As you know, there is a servo behind the cover. The servo pushes against the APPLY LEVER, which in turn pushes against the APPLY STRUT, which then applies pressure to the band.

You probably already know all of this, so forgive me if I am re-stating the obvious, but be mindful that you are aligning & compressing several things at once. Now I am not saying that you should be using a proportionate amount of force, but just have a good picture in your mind of exactly what you are trying to do.

The servo spring is not that large, so if it's not going in, stop and take a breather. If everything is clean, very little force should be necessary. Backing off the anchor strut (band adjustment) a bit will help get the servo cover back in. In fact, you should always loosen the anchor struts before compressing the servo covers. But be careful, it's one of those things that if you loosen it too much, the strut(s) could drop into the internal area of the transmission, requiring a tear-down to correct. After you button it back up, re-adjust your band(s).

Now, backing up to the beginning, I question why the cover popped at all. Answer can only be one thing, the snap ring and it's channel were dirty. That being said, be certain to clean them both CAREFULLY. Clean the groove out, like your dentist cleans your teeth. And clean the snap ring also. Best wishes.

PS: If I was working under the truck, I would most likely use the pry bar method as posted above by Jack Flash.

thx again drdoom - sorry about not getting back to you sooner. I kind-of regrouped yesterday and you kind-of answered the question I should have asked in the first place. WHAT CAUSED THE COVER TO POP? I was just assuming that high pressure pushed it out. I don't know alot about auto trannies and I really appreciate your help. Is it possible that the servo piston or something else physically can into contact with the cover and forced it loose? I was assuming that the 2-3 VB fix would take care of any and all problems with the tranny and as I was reading the 5r55e threads last night I realized they were written back in 2005 & 2006. Still good info for sure but what if anything else has been corrected or improved since then? Can you aim me in the right direction?

Unfortunately it snowed last night so I'm up in the air about what I can get done tomorrow. I decided to look for a shop to rent - get the truck inside - and just take my time with this.

Another question. The cover is just a little ****ed in the housing and I really don't want to chew things up trying to pry it out. What will happen if I briefly start the outfit to hopefully blow it completely out? If you could describe how this overdrive servo works - when it engages - how it engages -I'd probably have a better understanding of what I'm doing.

I'm working today so getting to the computer is going to be hit and miss. I plan on getting on the computer tomorrow and finalizing what I'm going to need for parts and get them ordered. Thx again and I'll try checking for your response around 10. Just curious - what did you have to do for the pics to get them to show?

A large welding C clamp shaped Vice Grip could push the cover back as well. The valve body applies fluid to push the servo against the band. Do you have a flashing O/D light? FMEM or limp mode causes excessive EPC pressure which might cause this to happen if the servo retainer is either bent or old. Spring metal in a small diameter could move as temperature changes. Think about this senario. You're driving for a while with hot transmission fluid, then you suddenly go over a large puddle or a snow bank. Some cold snow or water hits a weak retainer while there is a demand by the valve body to apply the band. The servo engages, and pushes a lot of pressure against the cover which causes the retainer to lose its ability to stay in place.

I have a thread on home made tools. Drdoom, could you add your servo compressor to that thread? It's # 63 in my list of useful threads: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195437

Brooklyn Bay, I'll will dig my tool out, get some measurements & photos, and happily add it to your thread.

thanks brooklynbay. I'm hoping you and drdoom might be around tomorrow when i go in head first. what about starting it up?

Just curious - what did you have to do for the pics to get them to show?

Nothing, I suspect it was your cache.

Back