CHIEF Is Almost a 302!!!!!! 91 XLT SAS In the process of 302 and T-5 Swap!! | Page 26 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CHIEF Is Almost a 302!!!!!! 91 XLT SAS In the process of 302 and T-5 Swap!!

Hello Everyone!
It's Chief here, Aka: Tim. I started with this pitifull excuse of a motor called a V6 and even more of a dissapointment This POS A4LD tranny! This will all be a nightmare that ended real soon:D

last shot of v6.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The shifter hole is already there.... just look under the carpet and there is a plate bolted down covering up the hole...

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Is there any videos of this beast running

Oooh, yea there is somewhere.... I'll try to dig one up Fer ya

There is one if me climbing hills somewhere, ill try to find it, but there is a video of the engine and idling on you tube... Search for kenne bell 91 explorer.... It should pop right up.... The name is Timothy Howard. The pic will be of the engine compartment....

There is one if me climbing hills somewhere, ill try to find it, but there is a video of the engine and idling on you tube... Search for kenne bell 91 explorer.... It should pop right up.... The name is Timothy Howard. The pic will be of the engine compartment....

Looked up the video.... nice setup!

Cool, Thanks!

What kind of hp are you getting with this setup

stock longblock and only 5psi I am seeing 287 hp and 338 lb ft of tq to the wheels... this was an 85hp and 77ft.lb of tq increase from stock....not bad from 5 psi

Are you planning on adding any more power

Yes, the plan was always a 347 Stroker and probably 12psi... But now that I'm in Texas and don't have to deal with california emissions i might just drop a 351 in there and then stroke that ;)

Been a while since you posted was wondering how that 30 is holding up with all that power and big tires??? I had one in my 99 with 35's and only ever did bearings in it. Now I just picked up a 93 limited with a trashed front end so I will be sticking a D30 in it on coils or coilovers...
This is explorer#7 for me so I think I have a problem...lol...

Cheers...R

There is something wrong with it right now actually ...lol. I haven't got a chance to check it out yet because I have been busy, but I have a locker and I am only getting 3 wheel drive. The other time this happened the passenger side axle was broke. Good news is I think it was only like 75 or a hundred bucks to get a new one...

It holds up decently, as long as you don't beat upon it to much and mind the skinny petal.... Mine will be getting dana 60 and 44 real soon... Soon as I can get a little time to work on it. I have a few to many projects going on right now.

How long did it take you from the very first bolt undone to the last bolt screwed back in? Thinking about doing this to my own Explorer.

Lol... Um like a year.... I didn't have all the parts or money when I started it... Plus I went months without touching it when I would get busy. If i had to do it all over again, knowing what I know now and getting everything prepared beforehand .. Money not an issue, I could swap it in a week. There are things like driveshaft modifications and wiring and what not that take time to do right and make it look factory.... All I can say is have another vehicle to rely on during your swap or you'll most likely end up being sorry. Really depends on how far your going into it though... Hack or clean

I just want to have the extra power of the V8. Need help with the transmission though if you wouldn't mind pointing me in the right direction. I have a back up vehicle. For the T-5 did you get the one out of a mustang or where did you find one for the 4x4? I found a donor truck but kinda confused to be honest. It's a '91 ranger that had it converted to the 302 and it has the 5 speed, but it's 2wd. Any help you could lend would be awesome.

Yes, i got everything out of a mustang. Then I got an "advance adapter" to convert the T-5 to 4x4 and mate it up to my stock T-case... The adapter was expensive though. $840 plus tax if I remember correctly. It's nice still having the push button's on the dash for 4x4... There are two different sized adapters(length) and the idea is you don't have to modify your driveshaft lengths, but I had to anyway. I think it's because of my motor placement. I think they are assuming the engine will be mounted on exactly where the stock one was.... Mine ended up being further back I think... Anyway, you've got one big hurdle down with that donor truck... Depending on how good of a job they did installing it, there might be some good useful stuff there for you. Pay attention to certain things they did, you might need those parts... Particularly, the radiator, fuel lines, motor mounts, exhaust manifold's or headers, exhaust, the throttle body inlet and air inlet pipes and box. Also, what did they do to the air conditioning box. If the a/c box is modified and looks good you might want to use that if it will fit yours. I'm not sure what years your working with, but you'll want to research the wiring. Brett did my wiring and is awesome. He was on this site, I'm sure he still is... Very reasonable price and made it look and work like factory..... I sent him my complete under hood harness and engine harness from the explorer AND the Mustang and he took them apart and made one integrated harness the plugged up like factory.... You could never tell anything was done by looking. Great guy and great work! Im trying to remember his profile name... He's in Colorado I think. Its all in this thread though, somewhere lol. Your wiring wouldn't be near as extensive since it's already in the ranger, again depending on what they did.... Some people leave the stock computer and wiring to control the truck and then add the v8 computer and a stand alone engine harness for the v8... I did NOT want that... Doing the wiring correctly is well worth it in my opinion... I'll help you out any way I can, just ask...

Found it... Post # 87 is BRETT. He is a moderator of the forum and the one that did my wiring. If you can do it, I would contact him.... Another thing I thought about is, if you decide to go the advance adapter route.... The T5 had to be a "world class" tranny... The adapter comes with a jeep short throw shifter and everything though, that is if they are still selling them. I don't even know...

Thank you Chief. Also, would you do it again? Like if you could go back to before you did all of that to your Explorer would you do it again? Is it worth all of the troubles? Also do you have an email that I could just ask that way instead of filling up this feed with my questions?

Absolutely, without a doubt.... Being that I'm not in California dealing with their smog referees, I would make some changes though. Matter of fact, I'm looking for a stock donor vehicle right now to do a fresh swap off of my truck and a clean 4 link install with my Dana 44 and Dana 60 I have laying around... I will certainly give you my email, but keep the questions coming or good for the forum and will help others out doing the swap

Well my donor truck has the 302 paired to a 5 speed out of a '91 f150 that had the 302 V8. As it is 2wd and I need it for 4wd, is it possible to still use this transmission or would a stock 5 speed that was paired to a 4.0L V6 from a '93 Explorer work? Could you just use a different bellhousing than that on the stock 5 speed?

Back