Solved - TSB 05-12-6 2002 Explorer Rear End Whine | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved TSB 05-12-6 2002 Explorer Rear End Whine

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

ExplorerDMB

Moderator/Technician
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Mechanicsville, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Acura TL
Ford Explorer Rear End Whine/Hum
TSB 05-12-6

Vehicles:

2002-2005 Ford Explorers
2002-2005 Mercury Mountaineers

Issue:

Some vehicles listed above may have a whine/hum during acceleration, deceleration, and/or cruise.

Action:

Use axle repair kit to fix the issue. This kit should be used instead of installing a complete rear axle assembly. Replace the Ring and Pinion and it's components.

NOTE: When servicing the rear axle on these vehicles, replace the 75w-90 gear oil with 75W-140. If the axle is equipped with a Limited Slip, add the required amount of friction modifier (XL3). When replacing the fluid, replace metal tag with F3TZ-4121-AA tag.

Kit Part Numbers:
  • 8.8" 3.55 Gear Ratio - 5L2Z-4209-AA
  • 8.8" 3.73 Gear Ratio - 5L3Z-4209-C

Time: 6.6 Hrs for Explorer/Mountaineer

-Drew

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Was this whine/hum supposedly covered by Ford at no charge to owner ??? I've had this problem on my 2002 Explorer (Eddie Bauer) since new and was never notified by Ford that they would fix it. I've had tranny serviced twice and rear-end once and it's still there??? If Ford was supposed to fix -- I'm MORE than a little PO'ed ???

I just bought an '02 XLT 4.6L, and the whine is ridiculous!!! I drove it home from Tampa and thought the rear end was going bad or something. It went as far as me calling the seller and cursing him, etc.....:eek:
So here I am looking for info on this truck and come across this. If this is a technical bulletin from Ford, will they fix this problem? I'm assuming changing the fluid in the rear end doesn't fix it? I was thinking that the guy I bought it from changed the fluid and didn't put the additive in or something, or maybe that the wheel bearing was bad, etc.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated:thumbsup:

Your whine

i had similar problems except mine kinda roared only when i turned. The problem i ran into is i had to re grease the rear differential. I'm not sure if yours is doing the same.

04 Explorer rear end problems

I am having similar problems with my 04 Explorer. I hear a low pitched whine when coasting down a highway exit ramp. In other situations I hear and feel a low shudder and vibration when turning left or right from a stop sign or light. I have replaced the front axle half-shafts as it seemed the problem was in the front end. Does anyone know what is causing these problems and how I can I repair them? Are any of them covered by Ford recalls? Thanks.

dude, thats what my 2000 xlt is doing? whould this work for me? is it under warrenty? and what is the 8.8 5.37 .37 ?

what is the cost for this to be done on avg?

Just had the rear ring and pinion changed on my 2004 X. The selling dealer was stuck with the bill though. It cost a little over $1100 at my local ford dealer and comes with a 12month 12,000mile warrenty.

I am having similar problems with my 04 Explorer. I hear a low pitched whine when coasting down a highway exit ramp. In other situations I hear and feel a low shudder and vibration when turning left or right from a stop sign or light. I have replaced the front axle half-shafts as it seemed the problem was in the front end. Does anyone know what is causing these problems and how I can I repair them? Are any of them covered by Ford recalls? Thanks.

The rear end whine I was having came in after the rear was warmed up and started around 55mph and got worse the faster I went. If I would let off the gas pedal the whine would go away until I pressed the gas pedal again. Your low pitched whine might be something else. I signed up for www.alldatadiy.com. The info supplied, I thought was well worth the money. See I was dealing with a Used Car Salesman that gave me a 1 month/1000 mile warrenty when I bought my X. When I test drove it I didn't hear any noises but when driving it home from work the next day is when it showed itself. I used the alldatadiy service to educate myself to deal with a used car salesman that was telling me nothing was wrong with my X.

Once again;

What is the cost?

Is Ford supposed to cover this?

JP

Once again;

What is the cost?

Is Ford supposed to cover this?

JP

Cost is above here it is again...a little over $1100.00
Ford will not cover this.....unless you are still under the manufacturer's warranty or have an extended coverage.

Rear end whine

My 03XLT 4.6 trailer tow package, limited slip got the whine at 21,000 miles.
Dealer changed out ring,pinion and bearings (under warranty) Went out again at 42,000 miles and 4 years 7 months old. Dealer did the same again for $200
bucks and another 12 month warranty on it. Should never have happened but
my dealer is a keeper. Don't know if they ate the rest of cost or Ford is repaying them. I only had the standard 3 year warranty on car. Anyway with that kind of service guess where I will buy next vehicle.

Explorer rear end noise

Thanks to all for your input. As my vehicle is way beyond a warranty period I did some more research into the problem. Ford now recommends changing the rear differential gear oil to a 75w 140 synthetic. I did this yesterday and it works rightout of the gate. The noise and vibration are gone. No telling how long it will last. I will keep you all advised of the situation.

Thanks to all for your input. As my vehicle is way beyond a warranty period I did some more research into the problem. Ford now recommends changing the rear differential gear oil to a 75w 140 synthetic. I did this yesterday and it works rightout of the gate. The noise and vibration are gone. No telling how long it will last. I will keep you all advised of the situation.

Interesting, the TSB says to replace the 75w-90 gear oil with 75W-140, my haynes manuel, which was published in 2004 for my 2002 explorer says to use 75w-140 without even mentioning anything about 75w90.

My explorer's owner's guide book says to use 75w140 too and mentions nothing about 75w-90. My owner's book was published in June of 2002 and says 6th printing. This might mean that this is the 6th revised version of owner's manual for the '02 explorer. I assume then that my explorer came with 75w-140 from the factory

It appears that sometime during the production of 2002 explorers on the assembly line, Ford probably switched all their gear oils on the explorer to the 140 in reaction to the rear end whines.

I guess if anyone has a early production '02 explorer who is still running off their factory 75w-90 oil they should immediately switch to the 75w-140, as it appears that Ford has abandoned the 75w-90 on the later '02 explorers.

Ford replaced my rearend at no charge to me when I owned my 2003, out of warranty. My 05 is not doing it, but I bought it used so someone may have had it repaired already, I haven't looked to see.

just to inlighten you all a little , I work for Right Gear And Axle, out of Salinas, Ca. We deal with drive lines, and gears Daily. 90% of all customers that complain of a shutter usually need an oil change. the clutches in the posi need an extra addative to allow slipage. the oil we use that is very safe is an 80w140. with a GL5 rating. customers with a ****inous whine usually need new brgs or gear set . this repair usually runs between 500 and 700. , never ever go to a dealer to make this repair. if possible look for a specialty shop. dealers always times everything times three! I know I sale to them daily.

Hello everyone:
I have the infamous whine too. My 2002 Explorer XLt 4x4 has 108.000 miles and the humming sound only occurs when is in acceleration and comes on abot 40 mph and goes off over 75mph.
After a quick search in the web I found this information:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/fulltext/show_article.php?tsb=05-23-3.
According to that wesite, Ford issues a new TSB 05-23-3, which supersedes TSB 05-12-6 mentioned by ExplorerDMB.
Hope it helps.

Bearings, Bearings, Bearings. towing and reg,. day diving causes ware. replace brgs and get it out of the way!!! check for specialty shops so your not over charged...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford Explorer Rear End Whine/Hum
TSB 05-12-6

Vehicles:

2002-2005 Ford Explorers
2002-2005 Mercury Mountaineers

Issue:

Some vehicles listed above may have a whine/hum during acceleration, deceleration, and/or cruise.

Action:

Use axle repair kit to fix the issue. This kit should be used instead of installing a complete rear axle assembly. Replace the Ring and Pinion and it's components.

NOTE: When servicing the rear axle on these vehicles, replace the 75w-90 gear oil with 75W-140. If the axle is equipped with a Limited Slip, add the required amount of friction modifier (XL3). When replacing the fluid, replace metal tag with F3TZ-4121-AA tag.

Kit Part Numbers:
  • 8.8" 3.55 Gear Ratio - 5L2Z-4209-AA
  • 8.8" 3.73 Gear Ratio - 5L3Z-4209-C
Time: 6.6 Hrs for Explorer/Mountaineer

-Drew
2003 howls like I have a jacked up oversized tire vehicle. I replaced tires still has noise. When getting oil change they said it looks like rearend is leaking but all 3 times they said it's full.why replace tag and what does it mean?

Back