How to make your Ford Explorer steering column telescope PICS | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to make your Ford Explorer steering column telescope PICS

How is it I have a 2004 EB edition without telescopic? Or do I and I need to get more aggressive w it? You use the tilt lever to unlock the telescopic?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How is it I have a 2004 EB edition without telescopic? Or do I and I need to get more aggressive w it? You use the tilt lever to unlock the telescopic?

None of the third generation came with a telescoping steering wheel. Those who have it modified the column like in the first post.

None of the third generation came with a telescoping steering wheel. Those who have it modified the column like in the first post.

Thank you.

I read it was a difference as if the XLS models were excluded vs 3rd gen altogether.

Thank you.

I read it was a difference as if the XLS models were excluded vs 3rd gen altogether.

Hi all, been a while since I viewed this thread. The manual to my 3rd gen describes the telescoping function of the third gen. I believe the option was taken out for the fourth gen.

I usually drive with the column puled out all the way to allow my elbows to rest well within range of the arm rests while driving. Whenever I have passengers riding with me in the back, I usually pull my seat forward to allow more leg room. When I do this I will push the steering column forward at the same time so I don't feel like I really lost my space.

So, does the wheel go in further than it did before you made it telescoping? I noticed that short people will scoot the seat forward so they can reach the pedals but that leaves them sitting right up on the wheel. My ex wife did this in our previous Explorer. It had the pedals that adjusted with a button though.

I love these types of modifications,...I'll do it,....thanks for this,....great Mod..

MAX

I know that the column is different on the 2nd GEN , but has anyone looked into the possibility of the 2nd gen being made to telescope as well

I know that the column is different on the 2nd GEN , but has anyone looked into the possibility of the 2nd gen being made to telescope as well

Hello, I have never looked at the columns in the second gens before, but I doubt it though.

I really wish the pictures would show from these old post, as there is no longer a picture for reference.

I did this mod in 2010. Last month the knuckle broke off the gear shifter lever. Would advise caution for this mod, Ford may have stopped the option for reliability reasons. After my new gear shift lever knuckle was installed, I put the steering column as close to stock position as possible, and no longer use the mod.

That's awesome thanks! I knew the steering column was made to be telescopic, but somehow blocked in place. Its funny because I have a 2003 Limited with every single option available minus the dvd player, and the telescopic column.

Thanks for adding a free option to my truck ;):thumbsup:

Same here, I never knew a telescopic steering wheel was an option

An old, old sticky, but 🤔

I think I have the only '05 E.B that didn't come with adjustable pedals, so I was thinking of doing half of this mod. Only modding the half of the block that would allow the wheel to move out but then, when moved in, it would only return to the stock position. But then, it was only a thought.

Back