1998 Explorer xlt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Explorer xlt

I have a 98 explorer xlt that I bought when I was 15. Shes still running but last year I decided to straight axle it on a budget. Had a dana 44 but couldn't find any parts for it in any local junkyards. So I scrapped it and picked up a dana 30 cheap that is holding up surprisingly well.

Front axle- High pinion Dana 30, 4.10 gears, xj shafts, lockright locker

Rear axle- 31 spline 8.8, 4.10 gears, welded

Suspension- Front is SOA with waggy springs, AAL, shackles, rear is SOA with AAL and shackles, skyjacker nitros all around

3 inch body lift

2 inch wheel spacers

4.0 OHV, automatic, bw1354 manual case

Extended brakelines

Steering- 94 explorer box, custom shaft, 1/4" steel plates on both sides of the frame, sleeved, grade 8 bolts, v8 grand cherokee steering, custom wj track bar, 3/16" box tube running from drivers side to passenger side frame for support.

f350 shock towers

38.5-11-16 boggers (got a steal on these)
crager soft 8s

v8 grand cherokee drive shaft
extended rear drive shaft

explorer.jpg

explorer2.jpg

explorer3.jpg

explorer4.jpg

explorer5.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice Rig man I dig It ! .

Nice job man. Would like to see more detailed pictures of the front suspension if you have them. Thanks.

ill take pics when I have time, heres one from 2011 on rattlers tail (black 2) at paragon with 32s

downsized_0602111423.jpg

IMG_0529.jpg

front crossmember and shackles

IMG_0530.jpg

steering box, plates, shock tower, trackbar mount and frame support

nice setup , Would like more pics of the front brackets and steering when/if you can , if you don't mind , just getting an idea of how I want to setup my leaf sprung SAS on my 91 Navajo

Bruce, why don't you use the factory setup and bolt a solid axle right in? Just curious why you're switching to leafs? You can answer this in your thread so we don't hijack this one.

IMG_0426_2.jpg

Sploders got a winch and a bumper. Gunna need a tranny soon and I'm building a doubler. More pics to come.

Back