How to: Add a USB charger. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Add a USB charger.

Nice job and writeup! I'm lazy though so I just use one off these USB Power Car Adapters. $2.12 delivered.

sku_27332_1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That does look clean, and is a 1A charger. Gets my vote.

Thanks for the writeup! SyberTiger, I had one of those cheap USB adapters and it croaked almost immediately. I spent a bit more for the next one....$7....well worth it. Got it from Amazon.

how could i call it my car without one of these??
9496casr.jpg

IMAG1009.jpg

IMAG1010.jpg

IMAG1011.jpg

Could one just splice into the back cigarette lighter and add a couple of more and then just connect a USB charger to each one?

It's all up to you i've use. 6 1 amp chargers without issues. And the back and front outlets are on the same wire in my ex so it doesn't matter the tie in point. Just keep it sane wires that carry moderate current for long periods can get hot. 6 amps is were I'd call safe. I had a buddy have a small fire in his car because of hot wires burnt some insulation. And sorry about format, my phone hates me trying to type.

I think it looks good. I am thinking of doing a power inverter, so the kiddos can just plug in.

As an electronics tech, I can offer a few insights.

First, the inline fuse isn't needed. USB auto adapters that are that long should have a fuse in the tip.

And at any rate, for ease of use, just tap on to the existing 12V outlets. Stock is a 15A fuse. More than enough for 3 12V taps. it'll save you a few bucks.

Check your adapter, for smart phones i recomend a 1A charger. Non smart phones, 500ma will be fine, the amperage determines your charging speed. I use my phone as a gps unit, and a 500mA charger will let my phone battery drain, slowly.

USB hubs would be usesless. New phones/ GPS units use voltage on the D+ and D- lines for charging. With a hub attached to just power, my phone isn't charging. ymmv.

Here is what i did. I found that Most outlet/usb charger like JoshMcMadMac's are only 500mA. they don't charge my phone well enough.

I tapped into the rear seat's 12V outlet in the center console. Yes those are quick disconnet T-Taps. I bought them years ago, and found them just before i did this, luck as it were, I want many more, they are so clean. see the OP for removal instructions. I just snaked the wire fron the opening under the dash to the 12v wires.
2011-12-08_09-12-36_641.jpg

I got this on ebay for 10 bucks, 4 ports. It had an led installed that lit the blue ring up half way, my diagnal cutters removed it. The top has flaps for a clean look. the back outlets are open to the air. it's very clean looking. I bought a few small 1A USB Car Chargers, $1.75 ea on ebay. Here is the finished look
2011-12-08_09-12-54_985.jpg

ordering the usb ports later when i have some time to figure out where i want to put them. maybe at the front of the console under the HVAC controls.

Great advice I like this thread

Hi all, a question about a couple unused plugs/ports under my cup holders that OP has in his pictures? (1) In the original post, picture 3 has an orange plug that I understand to have been meant for a smokers package... (2) In pic 4 the grey connection where the red wire appears to terminate; I have 2 identical connectors, 1 is used for the two cigarette jacks, the other is unused. Am I able to use either to support a USB cable? If so, I would like to buy the opposite Ford connector to create an easy "plug-in" rather than cutting and splicing the factory wires. To the "plug-in" I would splice a USB cable and run it behind the radio trim to my phone mount. If it's possible, any idea what the part# might be for the connectors to make the orange or grey connection? Many Thanks!

Ive been thinking about adding a USB onto the radio to allow an ipod to charge, but until i work out if i can tap an audio in line somewhere on the radio I wont bother.

I dont know if i want to keep the stock radio and 6 disc changer, then modify it, or just bang a new headunit in that has usb and SD inputs.

In the past I managed to hack an audio input onto a CD headunit, worked well, i think maybe if i could do that then I will leave the stock in there.

Picture courtesy of BigRondo
1dDisconnectPowerSources.jpg
Kazer, on pic 3, you see a harness (right side, orange plug, pointed at with an arrow) that is plugged by a cap, that is supposed to be the wiring for the cigarrette lighter on the smokers package, IIRC, why not use that instead of running new wires?

Thread revival!

I'm intrigued by the quoted picture and post. I'd like to add a USB charging port to my '03 Explorer using this method...if I get a USB plug/harness and tap into the orange plug shown in the picture, will that work as a phone charger? Will anything extra need to be done? I'd certainly like to utilize that otherwise unused source of power for something and an extra phone charging port would be perfect.

Back