How to: Tow hook installation procedure. | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Tow hook installation procedure.

Black would be a nice subtle look, but you have enough chrome on the front to tie in the chrome one's too. Hard choice, but I would lean towards black.(but not enough to fall off the fence I'm sitting on :D:thumbsup:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think black is good if you don't really want them to stand out. My eyes are drawn to the chrome ones even from a distance. Of course it's on my mind, but I would never know black ones were there until I got much closer.

The chrome ones look great on mine, especially with the chrome wheels.

Black would be a nice subtle look, but you have enough chrome on the front to tie in the chrome one's too. Hard choice, but I would lean towards black.(but not enough to fall off the fence I'm sitting on :D:thumbsup:)

Haha yeah I'm with you here. I almost want the black (although that set is more expensive) but the Chrome might look nice too. If I got the chrome and wanted them black, how hard is it to strip the plating?

Probably $10 worth of hard labour or if you know someone that does sand blasting too? Sanding disk would probably get through it.

It says 6 available now. I'm thinking about buyin a pair.

What do you guys think would look better on my X, the Chrome ($40.69 on ebay) or black ($49.17 at trademotion.com)

imag0147x.jpg

Black it is! Freshly powder-coated too.
Just finished putting them on. Its still in the garage so it was tough to get far back enough to get a decent pic.
towhooks.jpg

just stole a pair off an expedition at the junk yard, paid $20.00 got em on in about 15 mins.
got mine with all the hardware (bolts and the threaded plate) all thats needed for that is loosen the 4 bumper bolts to make a big enough gap for the plate to fit through and bolt it up looks good and will def. be put to use lol

IMG-20110609-00494.jpg

I went this morning to a yunkyard and got the crossbars and tow hooks (with all the hardware to install) for $50... I will put them on tomorrow morning and post some pics...

:D

I went this morning to a yunkyard and got the crossbars and tow hooks (with all the hardware to install) for $50... I will put them on tomorrow morning and post some pics...

:D

:D:thumbsup:

Here's my X now with Tow hooks, time to change my signature with another mod... jajaja :D... It took me more than the average here to install them but it was because I'm pretty newbie for all mechanic stuff and I took the bumper off.

IMG-20110610-00498.jpg

P.S the blocks for the 1.5" BL are coming my way and now I know how to remove the front bumper, also a flowmaster 40 is coming as well... :thumbsup:

horay, everyone should have an FM40

I was wondering if anyone would possibly remember what size bolts held these onto one of the donor Expeditions or F150's

Has anyone installed these along with a bull bar. We have a bull bar but haven't figured out how to intall the cast tow hooks (off late 90s expedition). Any one who did, please post pics.

Hi everyone, can somebody help me with aviator tow hooks?
It seems that explorer tow hooks are not compatible with aviator?
Does somebody have a drawing of hooks to make it by myself?
Thanks

I just installed a set of tow hooks from an 04 F150 on my 05 Limited. Bolted right on using all the hardware from the F150. Just loosened the two bolts on the crash bar to slide the F150 butterfly nut right into the frame. Took 25 minutes to do both sides. Five buck each at my local you pull it yard!!

Why didn't Ford add them to begin with? LoLoL

I pulled a set off an Expedition at the junk yard, the front bumper and grill had been removed and they were sticking out like a sore thumb, I figured why not. They look like the heavy cast ones that have been posted in this thread. I took the clip (?) from inside the frame rail, but didn't use it as I didn't want to pull the bumper. I used 1/2 grade 8 hardware that I had on hand. Fished the nut up in the frame and used a regular washer then lockwasher under the bolt head on the bottom. Impacted on, tightened right up. $10 and I have front tow hooks. Now if only I didn't have that stupid 1 1/4 trailer hitch in the back.....

Here's my X now with Tow hooks, time to change my signature with another mod... jajaja :D... It took me more than the average here to install them but it was because I'm pretty newbie for all mechanic stuff and I took the bumper off.

IMG-20110610-00498.jpg

P.S the blocks for the 1.5" BL are coming my way and now I know how to remove the front bumper, also a flowmaster 40 is coming as well... :thumbsup:

Looks great, Those holes in your bumper where the license bracket use to be , can be covered with those black plastic push pins used to hold trunk panels in place. Can also be painted to match truck color.

Man, y'all have some high end junkyards! I just bought two off an Excursion at my local pull a part and paid $5 a piece including hardware, now to figure out how to install them on my 97 Mounty

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Man, y'all have some high end junkyards! I just bought two off an Excursion at my local pull a part and paid $5 a piece including hardware, now to figure out how to install them on my 97 Mounty

I'm with this guy! I got a pair for 3.99 USD/ea

Back