• Register Today It's free!

Here's a werid one...

eclipse5302

Reaction score
City, State
Waukesha, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XL - 92 XLT
Ok, so after much work I got my Explorer to stop with the temp gauge fluctuating thing. It's much better now. But there is a werid thing it does every once and a while...

It will happen either after driving, or after shutdown. What happens is there will be a knock or thud of some sort. Not an engine knock, but like someone is knocking on the firewall. I open the hood, and the noise is coming from the upper radiator hose area. If I feel the hose, everytime the noise happens the upper hose will jerk. Like there is a bunch of air pockets in the hose that are poping or something. I fully bled the system, and it cools just fine. It will do this for about 1 min, then stop...and it doesn't happen all the time. Maybe once every few days. This happen to anyone before?

Jason

it's your radiator cap releasing the extra pressure build up. The cap is designed to blow open at 16psi and vent into the overflow bottle. so that's why you get a POP and the hose jerks.

You probably need a new cap to really solve the problem, it won't hurt it otherwise.

What did you do to stop the fluctuation temp.?

Back