Check out my latest fiberglass adventure | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Check out my latest fiberglass adventure

Like it or Don't like it that is the question.

• Sweet, I like it!!

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • It sucks.

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • "Looks good, but not my style"

Votes: 19 45.2%

• Total voters

bigtigexplorer

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Sierra Vista, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 4x4
While box I've got now sounds good and doesn't take up too much of the cargo area. I want more; more cargo space that is. I've had this idea to build an enclosure into the window sill of one of the rear quaterpanel's window. This would give me all the cargo area back and look pretty sweet at the same time.

The actual construction is finished. The rest of the work and most time consuming is all cosmetic. I haven't deceided how I want to finish the piece, but it will either be painted or vinyl.

Construction pictures

So along with the help of KSpride, a sheet of wood and a bunch of fiberglass. I've managed to build this:
IM001180.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

its very odd, but creative.. i like it

i like it but one question. is that glass gonna hold up to the abuse of that speaker pounding on it ? i would think it would break or blow out the seal. but then again i don't know much about audio.

Wow, I will give you mad props for what you did, even though I dont really like it. I know how much of a pain in the ass fiberglass is. He shouldnt have any problems with blowing the window out, as long as its secured to the truck really well. Im just kinda curious as to what happens to your internal volume? Or maybe you have a way to firgure it out. Great job man, just not my style :thumbsup:

wow.. that is awesome. i always wanted to mount an amp to each trunk window. have you noticed any difference in sound? and is there any way to calculate the volume under that glass?

OK, so how does it look from the outside. Can you look in and see the back of the magnet, or did you paint the windows or something.

He made the back of the box out of MDF, so unless he painted it, you would probably see the MDF through the window...

Did you guys check out the rest of the pics? The window is not a part of the enclosure.

IM001166.JPG

Look at the picture you can see the back of the enclosure that sits in front of the window.

Volume should be around 1 cu ft, I haven't hooked it up so I'm not sure of the sound, I may be stuffing it with poly-fil to trivk the sub into thinking it's in a larger enclosure.

alright, VairKing got it. However my windows are tinted SO dark you can't see anything, it's just black. I may paint the back of the enclosure, but I really don't need to.

I think you should add the option for

Looks Good, but not my style.

Very Creative. Love to see and hear it when it's done

yo big tex, that setup is pretty sweet. all you gotta do is just dress up the fiberglass a bit to not make it look so industrial. Very innovative on your part and your fiberglass skilz rock. hope to see finished pics soon. good job.

Could just be me but I don't understadn the whole point of it. So you get huge bass thrown at you! SO what!!

Put that work and knowledge into some custom fiberglass body kit or whatever.

I think it's cool Alaskan. He's putting some skills to work even if he just did that out of randomness. I would be pretty scared putting it next to my window like that, even with how you did it, just me though. And I also don't bump MTX's, lol. But still, that's really creative. With it cleaned up, it'll look really nice. Props.

bigtig, that looks awsome. KSpride was trying to explain it to me over the phone and It's not what I was thinking it would look like.

I think you should cover it with some gray pleather that would match the interior panels..

I think it look's sweet, now you just need to do the otherside. :D

Great job guy's...

It seems like the big question in a lot of minds is, Why. Well there is two reasons for me doing this. One is to be different than everybody else and to be able to say "I built that". Second is to regain the cargo space my previous box took up.

Now I know what your thinking: "Why didn't he just buy a stealth box?" The main reason is because they don't make a stealth box for a 12" sub, much less for two 12" subs.

KSpride and I were talking last night. We've decided to finish the enclosure with a grey vinyl to match the interior panels. I've been considering down sizing my system to just one 12, in which case I think my next project will be to build a custom amp rack in the opposite windows.

how do you have it mounted, just drilled into the plastic???

--good work by the way....

Don't get me wrong guys I think the work and creativity is great that went into this. My hat is off to you for you ingenuity. I think it looks awesome, two would look, wow!

It's the 12" sub that I don't get. Its just my view. If I had those skills I would be making all sorts of custom exterior stuff. Hood scoop, functional. Custom fender flares to wrap my 35" tires. Custom triple gauge pod for the a-pillar. A custom full center console to hide CB.

I guess that's the difference between street rigs and offroad rigs. I would probably knoick that thing out of the window on my first trail.

To each their own, enjoy!

davesexplorer - It mounts be screwing into the metal reinforcements behind the plastic panel

Orignaly posted by AlaskanJack
It's the 12" sub that I don't get. Its just my view. If I had those skills I would be making all sorts of custom exterior stuff. Hood scoop, functional. Custom fender flares to wrap my 35" tires. Custom triple gauge pod for the a-pillar. A custom full center console to hide CB.

This project is only my second real attempt at working with fiberglass. Though you did list a few projects that I've thought about working on. ;)

This project is no where near finished! I just wanted to get some opinions and see what other people thought about it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

man that is BAD ASS. the only thing i would have done different is maybe use a 18 or a square 15, or put a 12 in each window. ive been wanting to get a stealth amp rack like thatg, but i cant find one big enuff to hold 4 amps :(

hats off. thats one of the most original setups ive ever seen. how much for you to make me a box like that? ;)

Back