Water leak at back of the engine - FIXED | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Water leak at back of the engine - FIXED

tieoneon

Reaction score
City, State
Poland, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
2000 Explorer, 4.0L push rod engine. 165,000 miles
Water is leaking from the back side of the engine. Passengers side. It leaks without the engine running. If I put water into the raditor after it stops leaking it will start again until it drains down.
What is the most likely cause? Head gasket? Intake manifold gasket? Is there a sensor back there? Core plug?
I've removed the air plenium already but still can't see back there.
Is there a usual problem that causes this?
The engine runs fine, no smoke, good power, I obviously can't run it long before it will over heat. This just started all of a sudden.
Thanks for all help and suggestions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah probably the gasket. Since you dont have white smoke coming out of the exhaust, then the gasket failure is towards the edge of the block and not towards the cylinder. I would say that some JB-Weld would probably work as a temporary (or permanent if you're me) fix. Just make sure the surface is clean and dry. Also, don't put too much JB weld or it might get into the coolant routes and cause some clogging.

If I have to replace the intake gasket, which should I buy? Orginal Ford, Fel Pro, something from Auto Zone? Thanks
Also, any suggestions of do's and don't in changing the intake gasket?

Can you crawl under the car and look? You know, it's possible (but unlikely) it's your heater core. Your case drains under the passenger side head. Look under it while it's leaking to see where the coolant is coming from before you arbitrarily tear it apart. If it is the heater core, I'm not sure what would be easier to fix...the core or the head gasket. And if it is the head gasket, have the head and block checked for straight surfaces and surfaces that aren't corroded. No use having to do this again.

I know it's leaking at the back of the engine.

If I have to replace the intake gasket, which should I buy? Orginal Ford, Fel Pro, something from Auto Zone? Thanks
Also, any suggestions of do's and don't in changing the intake gasket?
I dont think its the intake gasket cauz I dont think there are any coolant lines that run up into the intake. So any damage to the intake gasket would not result in coolant leak. Of course thats assuming we're talking about the same "intake gasket" ;)

It was the intake gasket. Fixed now.

Back