The horn doesn't work on my 2002 Explorer. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The horn doesn't work on my 2002 Explorer.

ncsu1977

Reaction score
City, State
Winston-Salem, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
My 2002 Explorer's horn quit working - I have checked the fuses in the passenger fuse panel and they are OK- where is the horn relay located? Are there fuses for the horn relay in the power distribution box under the hood? If all the fuses and relays are good, what is the next step?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2002 Explorer's horn quit working - I have checked the fuses in the passenger fuse panel and they are OK- where is the horn relay located? Are there fuses for the horn relay in the power distribution box under the hood? If all the fuses and relays are good, what is the next step?

Here is the info from my owner's manual. If you don't have an owner's manual, Dead Link Removed.

The passenger compartment fuse panel contains 2 fuses related to the horns. #6 is a 10A Mini Fuse labled "Right Horn". #18 is a 10A Mini Fuse labled "Left Horn".

Dead Link Removed Dead Link Removed

It looks like the power distribution box under the hood contains a fuse related to the horns. #25 is a 20A Mini Fuse Labeled "Security Module (horns)".

Dead Link Removed Dead Link Removed

If all the fuses are good then maybe the connections at the horns are bad or the horns themselves are bad.

The horns are probably bad

I bought my 02 explorer about a month ago and didn't check the horns. They were bad. You can access them by removing the inner fenders. I replaced my horns with those from an 01 Taurus, and just mounted them on one side.

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the stock 2002-2005 section. Does your cruise control work? Do you have a flashing air bag light? If so, then you might have a bad clockspring in the steering column.

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the stock 2002-2005 section. Does your cruise control work? Do you have a flashing air bag light? If so, then you might have a bad clockspring in the steering column.
Where is the Clockspring located? and how do you replace it?

Yep, just discovered my horn won't toot. Appears most North Americans are pretty quiet drivers, or else these things would show up sooner. :D

The 20 amp fuse in the under-hood box is OK (I switched 20 amp fuses). No way to tell if the horn relay is bad.

Other than those two items, what else could be bad?

Yep, just discovered my horn won't toot. Appears most North Americans are pretty quiet drivers, or else these things would show up sooner. :D

The 20 amp fuse in the under-hood box is OK (I switched 20 amp fuses). No way to tell if the horn relay is bad.

Other than those two items, what else could be bad?

Could be the horns themselves, or the clockspring. Thoroughly read this thread for more info. ;)

ok I replaced my horns and they were working untill they all of a sudden started just going off, I pulled the #25 fuse under the hood and they stopped working when I replaced the fuse they worked fine again then like 4 hours later my horn just started going off again, so i pulled the fuse again, any help here ? could it be the security module, is there a way to bypass it or replace it?

where is it located ? I checked under the hood and didnt see any? and dose the relay work on that #25 circuit under the hood ?

Back