2004 Ford Explorer Stuck in 4lo | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Ford Explorer Stuck in 4lo

NotMyExplorer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
So im a new member to this forum i am currently a member on fullsizebronco and i don't even own a explorer and i am working on a friends the reason i am joining the forum is because i have had good luck with figuring out issues with my bronco so i i figured i would give this a shot. my friends 2004 ford explorer is stuck in four low, started out with the black wire on the transfer case motor being broken causing the four hi light to blink 10 times, i am assuming it is a ground wire. i pulled off the TCSM to fix the black wire (assuming it is a ground wire), got busy with another project and had to move the explorer out of the way, it was in park and i had to get it in neutral so could move it, so when i got back to working on it the next day i grounded the black wire and then put it all back together. I got in the truck and the light on the dash was lit up four 4lo, the blinking light went away but it wont come out of 4lo, the buttons on the dash do nothing the 4lo button is lit, putting the truck in nuetral with your foot on the brake does nothing, disconnecting the neg terminal does nothing , checked all fuses and swapped out the relays still nothing, if you take the yellow and orange wire off the TCSM and hook them up to a battery you can hear the motor move but it doesn't come out of 4lo any ideas?

so a little bit of an update i pulled the TCSM back out and turned the rod on the transfer case to High, pulled the pins for the orange and yellow wires in the TCSM harness and hooked them up to a battery so it spun clockwise, then had to use a pair of needle nose vice grips to hold the arm in place to slide the TCSM back into place, re-hooked everything back up and now i have A4WD and 4WD but no 4LO, which is kind of the same problem that i started with but atleast now it will go more than 40mph without screaming, im assuming this is a control module issue tried resetting it by unhooking the battery for 30 minutes and it was the same. its like its not getting communication from the shift motor, but no blinking lights and the A4WD and 4HI work now so..I'll just stick with my 92 Bronco with the 4wd selector on the transfer case and locking hubs

Back