• Register Today It's free!

Rear alignment question.

JOHN62

Reaction score
City, State
new york
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT
I have a 2004 Ford Explorer XLT (my third Explorer)
The alignment guy said my rear wheels were out of alignment and wore my tires unevenly from the inside. He told me my only option was to get two new tires and come back for a 4 wheel alignment.
Can't I just reverse the tires and let them wear evenly (they still had a lot of tread left). What could happen if I let it go for a while.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome To The Forum! I do not know too much about 3rd gens but I wouldn't think the rear would be too adjustable, are your struts/shocks bad on it? And yes you can reverse the tires IF they're not rotational and IF they are then you would need to swap the way they are on the rims, but keep in mind while cornering you will be putting pressure on the outside still which is unsafe. But for the best alignment new tires are a must.

Welcome to the forum! Yes you can reverse the tires. Like Glen4X4 said about the corning is very true. The alignment and new tires are the best choice of the two options.

The alignment guy said my rear wheels were out of alignment and wore my tires unevenly from the inside. He told me my only option was to get two new tires and come back for a 4 wheel alignment.
Can't I just reverse the tires and let them wear evenly (they still had a lot of tread left). What could happen if I let it go for a while.

first thing first, jack up the rear tires, and check end play, are they lose falling off? the rear are tracking tires so they don't get edge wear.

see if you need something fixed in the rear, if everything is tight, you cant wiggle the wheel on the truck put tires on it, and then a 4 wheel alignment.

also those could of been front tires prior to a rotation and are shot. in any case, if you have 4x4 not 4x2 you need same 4 tires with about the same thread wear.

..... I do not know too much about 3rd gens but I wouldn't think the rear would be too adjustable, ........

FYI, 3rd. gen. independent suspension has ALL KINDS of places where adjustment, or lack of it, due to worn bushings, bent parts, etc., can cause tire problems not seen on solid-axle rear ends like in the "old days". imp

That's why I said I don't know much about it. Eitherway for the most accurate alignment new tires are a must so the the vehicle sits right.

That's why I said I don't know much about it. Eitherway for the most accurate alignment new tires are a must so the the vehicle sits right.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound sarcastic, but rather helpful. Agree, no point in doing alignment of suspension while sitting on "crooked" tires! imp

What exactly do the worn tires look like?
Here's some help

http://www.procarcare.com/includes/content/resourcecenter/encyclopedia/ch25/25readtirewear.html

Back