• Register Today It's free!

Gem Module

Greg_guy

Reaction score
City, State
Winnipeg
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer
On my 2002 explorer the rear glass hatch does not unlock. The buttons on any of the remotes do not work and the button next to the licence plate does not. I found the unlock motor and tested it and it works so, is the unlock motor feed from the Gem module or is there a relay. If so where do I find the Gem module and or the relay.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Security Module (behind RH side C-Pillar trim panel) acts like a relay and sends power to the door, hatch, and glass liftgate actuators when activated by the remotes. So, your door and rear hatch actuators work OK, but not the glass liftgate? I don't think there is a motor on the liftgate latch - just an actuator. How did you test it?

test of glass actuator

HI, I tested for power going to the glass actuator, by plugging its wiring connector into the actuator for the hatch release, then pressing on the remote and the button on the hatch, nothing happend. Both the actuators look the same. Is the security module the same one that has the code for the drivers door keypad?

Is the security module the same one that has the code for the drivers door keypad?

Yes. Looks like your next step is to look for loose or bent pins or corrosion in one of the connectors on the security module. Disconnect the battery ground before you unplug any connectors. Post up what you find out.

will try

I will try that this weekend. Thanks

now thing go from bad to worse

And now my puddle lamps and interior light staying on. If you have the radio on and turn off the truck the radio just stops. Also there is the beep sound that you get when you open the door with the key in. But there is no door ajar light. The only way to get the lights to go out is to turn the dimmer to off.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks

And now my puddle lamps and interior light staying on. If you have the radio on and turn off the truck the radio just stops. Also there is the beep sound that you get when you open the door with the key in. But there is no door ajar light. The only way to get the lights to go out is to turn the dimmer to off.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks

Did you do anything with the Security Module before the issue with the puddle lamps and courtesy lamps started?

What's the build date of your '02?

Now what can go wrong. Battery not charging

Now my batter is not charging, the charge light no the dash does not come on but the battery in only at 12.2V with the motor running. I tested the battery with load tester and the battery in only 4 months old so I don't think its the battery. I found that the GEM module draws 300ma is that to much.

And NO I never go around to doing any work on the security module.

So things get deeper.

Inow have a bad alternator, I took it apart and the commutator is bad have to find a new one. I hope this solves the light problems.

and the story goes on.

Back