CV joint replacement or repair

Lhlalyam

Reaction score
City, State
Nanaimo
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer Sport Trac 2002
Hi Everyone,

Its been awhile since I've been on the site. First of all, I'm not sure if it is the CV joint that I am going to be working on. I have this loud sound that I initially sounded like the tread of my tires on the road. I realized that this wasn't the case because it still sounded the same when I travelled on gravel road. I also had someone drive my truck by me so that I could see if I could hear the same sound outside as I do inside. This wasn't the case. I also thought that my tire maybe loose on the passenger side because this is side where most of the noise is. The tire is tightened properly. Someone had mentioned that it maybe my 4 wheel drive. I put the truck into 4 wheel high and this didn't change anything. What I did notice was that the sound reduced when I turned left. It was loud only when driving straight or right. After doing research here and other sites, it seems to be a CV joint issue.

My questions:

Does this sound like a CV Joint issue?
If so, does repairing the CV joint a better option then replacing?
Or, is there something else that I should try before jumping into fixing the CV joint?

Respects,

Lhlalyam

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is the hub bearing. Your CV is fine.. I had the exact same problem with my ST. I would get a timken brand hub, as they come with a warranty.

Thanks chad551! I'll look at doing this and see how it goes.

Respects,

Lhlalyam

Hi Everyone,

Its been awhile since I've been on the site. First of all, I'm not sure if it is the CV joint that I am going to be working on. I have this loud sound that I initially sounded like the tread of my tires on the road. I realized that this wasn't the case because it still sounded the same when I travelled on gravel road. I also had someone drive my truck by me so that I could see if I could hear the same sound outside as I do inside. This wasn't the case. I also thought that my tire maybe loose on the passenger side because this is side where most of the noise is. The tire is tightened properly. Someone had mentioned that it maybe my 4 wheel drive. I put the truck into 4 wheel high and this didn't change anything. What I did notice was that the sound reduced when I turned left. It was loud only when driving straight or right. After doing research here and other sites, it seems to be a CV joint issue.

My questions:

Does this sound like a CV Joint issue?
If so, does repairing the CV joint a better option then replacing?
Or, is there something else that I should try before jumping into fixing the CV joint?

Respects,

Lhlalyam

Hi Mate,
Is your problem solve??
I am going through the same condition as you mentioned, I hvave changed the wheel hubs , u know what noise is still coming, now my research is fingering to CV joints, Assembly, Please share your remedy.
Regards
Matie

Had similar noise. Change both lower tab and ball joint and CV joint. Still have same noise but weaker........ Both bearing were change less than 6 month ago..........I'm waiting for the noise to be louder in order to locate the source!

Hi Again ,
Just to keep update all of you !!
I have Changed complete CV Axel shafts both side, PROBLEM IS THE SAME NOISE ,
making me craizy, God knows, if its from front differential bearing?? or what else to check ? is there any replacement available ?
Regards

matie u changed out ur cvs. have u changed/checked hubs, upper and lower control arms? I would check those and then if not that try checking ur differential. Do the tires pull when driving down the road ? it could be an alignment issue

Hello There,
I have been through nightmare regarding this grinding noise!!
Very first time when I felt this noise , I went to Bridgestone tire dealer, He checked the tires & even took the test drive , said “ NOTHING WRONG WITH TIRES” check with you mechanic, hence I went to out side workshop he confirmed wheel hub bearings, CHANGED wheel hub bearings, noise is coming !! then went to FORD Dealer & paid them Inspection charges to diagnose, they came up pointing CV axels assemblies, (you can imagine their quote to fix new axel assemblies both side, was higher then the car worth) hence I went to used parts store to get those, luckily found & fixed, GUESS WHAT, Noise is still there, WENT BACK TO FORD DEALER, & explained them they again returned pointing to FRONT DIFFERENTIAL this time , I replied yes I may agree with you guys because this is the only part left behind !!! AGAIN, Quote for new differential was certainly 5 times higher then my truck worth, I again managed to buy one of used one & was planed to changed next day,
One the way back home just had a thought to take one last chance by swapping front 2 tires with rear ones, I am gona tell you man, THERE WAS NO NOISE AT ALL !!!!! Its still running fine, I e-mailed this discovery to Ford Dealer against their changing of differential quotation, they simply replied. Good to know that, anyway problem is fixed.
Cheers !!!!

not sure if anyone is still checking this but I have a similar grinding, not just road noise from crappy bridgestone tires. I am starting with my U joints and possibly CV joint/s. but I do know my transfer case is low on fluid and has a bad seal. Anyone think this could be the noise? it is very dominant above 55 mph but is noticeable all the time.

I just gave up chasing problems,Im hoping new tires will rid me of my 80km/hr vibration aswell as my 120km/hr + vibe, but I too have this metallic grinding noise at low speeds only while turning left,otherwise its non exhistant. I got tired of chasing the problems and am going to let it fail as opposed to throwing more money at the problem when nobody can fix it.

Hey pickup, check wheel bearings. You say it happens when turning left so that means a load is being put on the right bearings. Check the front right first (most likely that one since it happens when turning). Jack it up so the wheel is off the ground then grab the wheel and see if it has some play. If it does then its most likely the bearing. Changing those is not very hard BUT you have to buy the wheel hub since it is a sealed bearing. My front right just went out about 2 weeks ago and now the front left is acting up so I'm waiting for that one to go out and when it does, I will take pics and post a thread showing how easy it really is.

noise is def coming out of the front left,I swapped that bearing out,not a bad job but the noise is still there. Im now at the point where im thinking cv shaft,even though it looks fine or bodymount bushings. the noise doesnt occur while turning left at speed on sharp turns like back out of a driveway or parking space at very low speeds

Digging up an old thread here I know but............. I just bought a 1999 XLT & noticed a slight "clunking" that was more felt than heard when turning either left or right. When going straight no prob, I just traveled 2400klm's on open hwy to get it home & it didn't seem to change. In the last 2 days since I got back from Adelaide (I live in Hervey Bay Qld, we can see Fraser Is) it has twice done loud clunks & most definitely felt them in the steering. I've looked at the cv's & have to admit that 1 more than the other, though both do, don't seem to fit into the "centre" of the outer cv.
It has a 2" body lift but don't think it has a susp lift as cv's aren't on much of an angle, have had 2 susp lifted X's before & am comparing to them. Could this be cv's? it is still under used car warranty on running gear. :(

Digging up an old thread here I know but............. I just bought a 1999 XLT & noticed a slight "clunking" that was more felt than heard when turning either left or right. When going straight no prob, I just traveled 2400klm's on open hwy to get it home & it didn't seem to change. In the last 2 days since I got back from Adelaide (I live in Hervey Bay Qld, we can see Fraser Is) it has twice done loud clunks & most definitely felt them in the steering. I've looked at the cv's & have to admit that 1 more than the other, though both do, don't seem to fit into the "centre" of the outer cv.
It has a 2" body lift but don't think it has a susp lift as cv's aren't on much of an angle, have had 2 susp lifted X's before & am comparing to them. Could this be cv's? it is still under used car warranty on running gear. :(

Did you ever sort this out steelo? I get a clunk every so often especially when is slow down or just as i take off.

I don't have the X any more, it's written off, the whole stub axle (LHS) came out & I lost control & went into a power pole luckily missed anybody & was only doing about 50kph. Came to & axle with wheel still attached about 15ft away but am still being charged with "driving with undue care & attention". Mechanics seem to think diff planetary gear gave way as the stub axle spline's were fine just missing the circlip. :thumbdwn:
Has anybody had or heard of this happening before?????

Back