Solved - 1998 - 2002 Ford Explorer Stereo Wiring Diagrams ARE HERE!!!!! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved 1998 - 2002 Ford Explorer Stereo Wiring Diagrams ARE HERE!!!!!

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dont know i will have to buy it and see. i would be ok if i could find out what the protocol a and b are and how to hook them up to the aftermarket hu.

I have a stock 98 explorer sport and i was wondering if anyone has a wiring diagram for the stock head unit? my i have had two speakers go out already i replaced one but im wondering if it is the wiring.

I have a 97 Explorer with JBL, When purchased vehicle no stereo in the vehicle, and the JBL plug was cut, I tried the 97 JBL with Subwoofer and didn't get anything when attaching it to a 9 volt, the speakers look like they are ok, is there another diagram for the 97 with JBL?

the solid color white wire is posotive and the one with a black strip is negative that is true with most wires if it has a stripe

does anyone have a diagram for a 2000 ford explorer. i cant get my radiio to turn on. my amp grounded out and my radio wont play music. it shows time and ejects cds but wont play music unless i take one end of my remote wire and stick it in the remote cut on slot and the power cable on my amp. so im assuming that there is a power problem with my radio. can anyone help

sub hook-up

so i was wondering which wires i need to power up in order to power up the sub amp. i've found the harness with the bn/og,rd/blk,dg/vt and the blk wire which do i have to power up to get the rear amp to turn on. i'm fimilar with this set up, i've worked on these things for yrs and never had to hook this thing up before. there is already a after market radio there hooked up with a aftermarket connector and all four door speakers work, just looking to hook up the sub. info:98 mercury mountaineer with mach sound
thanks i hope some has done this and can give me a good answer.

I have been searching, and perhaps I am searching the incorrect key words. I have been told there was a wire color diagram for the rear passenger radio controls from this plug:

DSCI2377.jpg

This is by far the most informational thread regarding the radio diagrams, however I do not see one for this plug listed. If it is here, could someone be kind enough to point out which diagram it is?

Thank you for any help provided.

hooking up rear sub

This is the answer to my previous post on how to hook up the rear sub on a 98 mountaineer. This should work on 96-00 explorers and mountaineers with MAch sound.So after studying the diagrams provided i figured a way how to hook up the sub with an aftermarket radio. 1. i first checked to see if the rear amp on pass side located near sub enclosure had power by checking LG/VT(pos) and BLK/LG(neg) for power (12V) i did .so assuming you got power on to the next step.2. locate behind radio a small connector that has four wires BN/OG, RD/BLK, DG/VT, and a solid BLK. 3. cut all wires except BLK off the connector.4. got unused rca cables laying around cut one channel(wire) about 6-8inches long. 5.peel back plastic outer casing on rca cable you just cut. heres how this works the prong that sticks out is the ground(-) and the outer ring part is the Pos(+) split those wires so you get 2 wires on for the ground and one for the pos 6. hook up the BN/OG(+) which is the pos(+) to the POS side of the rca wire. 7. repeat hook up RD/BLK(-) which is ground(-) to the ground side of the rca wire.8. now hook up DG/VT wire to the Blue/white wire (remote/mute)on the back of your aftermarket deck.9. plug rca wire into either red or white channels on the back of after market deck. 10. test it out worked out great for me.. The best way connect wires is to solder them together. but you can use butt-connectors, or even electrical tape for temp use. This is all assuming you have power to the amp and if the amp and sub are in working order. How this helps for no cost. Crutchfield does have a connector to do this its $15 http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120705517/Receiver-Wire-Harness.html?tp=2977 <-------link for connector....The way I explained cost you a rca cable that you may have laying around.and thats $0 extra spent. Contact me if you need more help.

I have a 1997 Eddie Bauer that I have been trying to hook up my new deck and i dont no the colors for all my speakers i have every thing alll set but not the color wires to the speakers i dont understand the diagrams there way to complex for what im looking for

could some one fill in the blanks pleazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

AT DECK
--------------
+12v =
ignition =
ground =
amp turn on =
illumination =
dimmer =
LF Speaker (+)
LF Speaker (-)
RF Speaker (+)
RF Speaker (-)
LR Speaker (+)
LR Speaker (-)
RR Speaker (+)
RR Speaker (-)
-------------------------
AMP to SPEAKERS
-------------------------
LF Speaker (+)
LF Speaker (-)
RF Speaker (+)
RF Speaker (-)
LR Speaker (+)
LR Speaker (-)
RR Speaker (+)
RR Speaker (-)

I have a 1997 Eddie Bauer that I have been trying to hook up my new deck and i dont no the colors for all my speakers i have every thing alll set but not the color wires to the speakers i dont understand the diagrams there way to complex for what im looking for

could some one fill in the blanks pleazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I'm guessing this is what you're looking for. Take your time and look at it carefully, all the info is there. If you have a question about a specific item you don't see, post back.

Great help, But....

This is the answer to my previous post on how to hook up the rear sub on a 98 mountaineer. This should work on 96-00 explorers and mountaineers with MAch sound.So after studying the diagrams provided i figured a way how to hook up the sub with an aftermarket radio. 1. i first checked to see if the rear amp on pass side located near sub enclosure had power by checking LG/VT(pos) and BLK/LG(neg) for power (12V) i did .so assuming you got power on to the next step.2. locate behind radio a small connector that has four wires BN/OG, RD/BLK, DG/VT, and a solid BLK. 3. cut all wires except BLK off the connector.4. got unused rca cables laying around cut one channel(wire) about 6-8inches long. 5.peel back plastic outer casing on rca cable you just cut. heres how this works the prong that sticks out is the ground(-) and the outer ring part is the Pos(+) split those wires so you get 2 wires on for the ground and one for the pos 6. hook up the BN/OG(+) which is the pos(+) to the POS side of the rca wire. 7. repeat hook up RD/BLK(-) which is ground(-) to the ground side of the rca wire.8. now hook up DG/VT wire to the Blue/white wire (remote/mute)on the back of your aftermarket deck.9. plug rca wire into either red or white channels on the back of after market deck. 10. test it out worked out great for me.. The best way connect wires is to solder them together. but you can use butt-connectors, or even electrical tape for temp use. This is all assuming you have power to the amp and if the amp and sub are in working order. How this helps for no cost. Crutchfield does have a connector to do this its $15 http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120705517/Receiver-Wire-Harness.html?tp=2977 <-------link for connector....The way I explained cost you a rca cable that you may have laying around.and thats $0 extra spent. Contact me if you need more help.

My new head unit was apparently a OEM for a vehicle and it does NOT have rca out on back of unit. Any other way you know of for getting sub to work?

Unit is a Panasonic 5800Q(?) double-din

nice this will help me a lot because i am change all speakers on my ford exploer 1997 e.b.

Just wanted to add this. I searched for DAYS to find out this info! I have a 97 xlt and didn't know why the speakers had different colors than from the head unit.

i can solve your problem as i also was asking the same question. You, of corse, have noticed that the speaker wire colors in the doors do not match the speaker wires at the stereo installation location, thisis due to te fact that they enter a stero power installation block. As well, depending on the type of factory stereo that existed eg. normal, premium or JBL, the speaker wire identification changes. If you have the premium system, here is what you have;
12 VDC POSITIVE (CONSTANT) = LIGHT GREEN w/ PURPLE
12 VDC POSITIVE (FUSED IGNITION) = YELLOW w/ BLACK
12 VDC NEGATIVE (GROUND) = BLACK w/ LIGHT GREEN
LOGIC MUTE = DARK BLUE
ILLUMINATION = LIGHT BLUE w/ RED

L.F.+ IN DOOR = ORANGE w/ LIGHT GREEN...AT DASH = LIGHT GREEN
L.F. - IN DOOR = LIGHT BLUE w/ WHITE ...AT DASH = WHITE w/ ORANGE
R.F.+ IN DOOR = WHITE w/ LIGHT GREEN ...AT DASH = WHITE w/ RED
R.F. - IN DOOR = DARK GREEN w/ ORANGE ...AT DASH = BROWN
L.R. + IN DOOR = TAN w/ YELLOW...AT DASH = LIGHT BLUE w/ BLACK
L.R. - IN DOOR = GREY w/ LIGHT BLUE...AT DASH = YELLOW
R.R. + IN DOOR = BROWN w PINK...AT DASH = PURPLE w/ WHITE
R. R. - IN DOOR = ORANGE w/ RED STRIPE...AT DASH = LIGHT BLUE

If the "IN DOOR" Color Code Does NOT Match-Up: A Alternate "IN DOOR" Color Code
will be: LF+ LIGHT GREEN
LF - WHITE w/ ORANGE
RF + WHITE w/ RED
RF - BROWN
LR + LIGHT BLUE w/ BLACK
LR - YELLOW
RR + PURPLE w/ WHITE
RR - LIGHT BLUE
***SAME AS DASH....
There you go...With this info its fooolproof GOOD LUCK

Ok. If I remember correctly I have three separate plugs (not including antenna) that I would disconnect from my factory head unit to remove it. And yet I cant seam to find an install harness that meets up with those three. Any ideas? Im hoping that when I install an aftermarket head unit that my steering wheel controls would still work. Or do I pay the local shop the 2 bills extra they quoted me for them to do it? hmmmm

Ok, i've been reading all these posts...about how do i install an after market HU..and my speakers arnt working..etc..etc.. and people saying rewire this..bypass that..get a wiring harness. etc etc... well seriously ignor it...the easy free way is to...snip the blue amp wire in the dash where the ohter wires are for the stereo.. add it to your black yellow + wire with your hu + wire...and connect the black ground wires up theres two one for the amp and one for the hu..its easy as there plain black...that's it ..simple as that...ok back top my beer :)

I did it by powering the factory amp like you did, and then eventually bypassed it. Bypassing it, and using the HU's internal amp sounded way better than the factory junk. Are you sure you have an external amp? In the US models they did away with the external amps in 98.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have a diagram for the speaker wires for a 94 explorer or is it the same as this 97?--------------
+12v = lt. green/yellow
ignition = yellow/black
ground = black
amp turn on = dk. blue
illumination = orange/black
dimmer = lt. blue/red
LF Speaker (+) WHITE/RED
LF Speaker (-) BROWN
RF Speaker (+) WHITE/ORANGE
RF Speaker (-) LIGHT GREEN
LR Speaker (+) PINK/WHITE
LR Speaker (-) LIGHT BLUE