Skid plate

sport97

Elite Procrastinator
Reaction score
City, State
connellsville pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 sport SOHC 4.0
Looking for a front skid plate from a ranger. Stock or aftermarket.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did find a new aftermarket options for around 150. Ford wants 250ish, not happening.

If i have to shell out over a hundred then i guess I may attempt to make something. Hoping to come across a stock one, and add a support brace.

From what i see 98-02 with off-road package have the plate, and newer fx4 level 2's have the plate as well. Supposedly a straight bolt on. Hope so.

Let me know if you guys know of any used ones. I'm going to call a few full service yards and see if they have anything. The u-pull it doesn't have any newer rangers.

I see them on a ton of rangers(4 today), but none on ebay, craigslist, or at the junkyards.

...check with Kbabiak on the bottom of the forums page..;)

...check with Kbabiak on the bottom of the forums page..;)

Thanks ,but I did ask him the other day, no luck:(

There are aftermarket options, but I'm looking for something a tad cheaper than the 150 or so for the aftermarket ones. Ford wants 250 for one, that's nuts. I may have to fab one up in the spring if I don't find one.

..I know you own an X but is there a specific reason you are looking for a Ranger skid plate?

..I know the second gen X skid plate is about 3"s wider than a Ranger skid plate..(at least for my 95 Ranger)

..:scratch:..I think Stic-o has a spare second gen X skid plate just hangin out in his garage..

I'm looking for the front skid plate that goes under the radiator, not the t-case or gas tank plates.

They are on 98+ off road package equipped 4x4 rangers and the fx4 rangers as well.

From what I saw its a straight bolt on piece

..I believe those are only on the FX4 and the other is just a plastic box under the radiator...Another thing to look for is factory "offroad" sticker on the truck..

..These trucks have a skid plate package..Although I have never seen one of these at a junk yard..:(

Yea, the "offroad" package. Someone has a ranger with that package(maybe a 2000?) where I work, it appears to be stainless steel. I also have a buddy with an 06 fx4, it is equipped with one. Although he said if I try and take it he would taze me haha

You are correct though, the majority of rangers don't have any, just that plastic box around it.

I've been looking for a skidplate too. With the offroad bumper, it leaves the radiator/condenser waaay too exposed. No luck though. I'm thinkin I'll just have to make my own.

Back