M90 rebuild (rudy) | Page 20 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

M90 rebuild (rudy)

well figured i would start a new thread.just a quick background.did the whole build on my explorer but built it using stock head gaskets and head bolts.did it really as a safety net and i just couldnt afford head studs at the time.well to say the least i blew the head gaskets off from it wile i was in the mountains on a forum trip about two years later.

i picked up a 1994 ranger,its got the 4.0 OHV and is a 5 speed 2wd.the plan is to pull the motor out of the explorer and rebuild it.

this thread will basically cover the rebuild and build up of the new ranger.it will basically end up as a street race truck.ive named it Rudy:D:D so let the fun begin.
:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

UPDATE
new motor specs
BORE: 4" JE asymmetrical pistons (custom over bore)

20141031_163839_zpso5ifzafx.jpg

RODS: 6.058 Manley (longer rod)
20140226_134243_zpsdapxouhk.jpg

VALVES: IN-1.8 EX-1.5 Manley heavy duty (.150 over)
20160527_114556_zpsiohyyelp.jpg

20140515_162402_zpsftg0qlcd.jpg

20160313_161946_zpswgleqayt.jpg

20160318_160734_zpsxxxpuld8.jpg

Transmission:T5 hybrid from a 2006 Mustang and 93 Fox
HEADS: 93TM HEAVILY ported with custom brass guides and copper gaskets/O-ringed with ARP studs
CAM: 422 Comp cams with 988 springs and Toms custom lifters,push rods and 1.7 roller rockers
Complete blueprint and balanced internals
GM M90 supercharged with one 1" intercooler plates with ASP 8 rib belt conversion. .
pushing 16 lbs of boost with small shot of NOS
Running on E50
Dyno tuned by Dyno Tune Performance outa Virginia using SCT

old thread and pic
3800 M90 Build
ported and polished gm 3800 gen 2 m90
Water to air intercooled
port matched 76mm inlet and intake tube
mustang 75mm race tb
90mm maf
36lb injectors
255 fuel pump
sct 5bank dyno tuned
2.7" pulley 10lbs of boost!!;)
2012-06-09201057.jpg

2012-06-09201139-1.jpg

2012-06-09201207.jpg

and the new 1994 ranger 4.0 OHV 5 speed 2WD with 115,000 miles on it.o and i only paid $1,000 for it:shifty_ey
RUDY
IMG952013032295172932_zps77585c66.jpg

FB_IMG_1545061235211.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4 grand between now and spring is a substantial amount of disposable income.

As vroomzoomboom stated 'A drug habit would probably be cheaper'.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I plan to have it done, broke in and dynoed/tuned for spring nationals ;)

not with a chick around you wont.....you whipped *******! HAHAHA! jk

and don, that is correct. a MAJOR drug habit!

not with a chick around you wont.....you whipped *******! HAHAHA! jk

and don, that is correct. a MAJOR drug habit!

Yea yea yea:banghead::banghead::help::help::dead:

Haha hell 4k in 4 months...thats not a MAJOR habit. ..hell I spend more than that on just alcohol in the bars...:mad:(edit.....USE TOO) LOL

So I went ahead and put the smaller 2.7 pulley on.I installed my adjustable fuel pressure regulator and adjusted it to 60 psi..then swapped plugs out to one step colder (TR6) and added a shorter belt (70")

It seems to run fine but the clutch just smokes itself the sec boost comes in..so its been really hard to see what AF or amount of boost its hitting. .the boost will bleed off when the clutch slips and the engine losses load..I tried to baby it and I saw around 14.3 @ 9lbs around 4,000 rpms..thats getting pretty lean:( but I think its having a hard time adjusting because of the boost in and out..I think im gonna open the boost bypass some to keep boost a little lower till I can fix the trans..

Tuesday im ordering a stage 3 clutch and gonna replace the synchronizer while I have it out..then once its broke in, I can adjust the feul psi and boost levels for time being. .OBVIOUSLY im pushing it using stock 19 LBS and stock maf with no tune:( hopefully I can adjust it enough to have some fun and if not...this is a throw away egine...;)

20141205_134016_zpsbqyvdju6.jpg

20141205_134024_zpslwt0wopf.jpg

Pics

Those pics look cool with the pulleys spinning!
Cant wait to hear how it is with a good clutch.

So my pops ended up getting me a clutch for Christmas. .its a cheap ebay stage 3,6 puck clutch made by bahnhof.ive read alot of reviews and believe it or not its got pretty good reviews. .they say that all the stage 1 &2 clutches on ebay use old stock clutches with new material and thats it.the material is also cheap and being the springs and everything are old and used the clutch fails quickly. ..but when you go to a PUCK clutch its all new parts but still cheap material. .its said that they hold well because its all new but the life is still shorter than say a good named clutch. .

Plan is to drop the trans in three weeks, take it to my buddys and have him go threw it..he thinks its the blocking plate that bad, remember this is a jasper rebuilt trans.......then throw the stage 3 in and break it in..

I've also decided im taking just the heads to the machine shop and having them done up WITHOUT the ring for copper gaskets. ..once the clutch is broke in im going to throw the cam,super duty gaskets, head studs, new heads, ported lower intake,36 lbs injectors and 90mm maf all on the STOCK bottom end..im have the tune transferred over using the old fuel trim from the explorer. He then will dyno adjust it..I only plan to run 10 psi for now..

Then once I have all the parts for the T5 I will take my other block down to the shop for a complete balance and build..this is going to be costly...he quoted me around $1,200 just for the lower block..heads are gonna run me around $300-500 for machine work but will need to go back to him once he has the block so he can then machine the ring grove for the copper gaskets. ..

20141226_170827_zps8t5r1t3m.jpg

puck

That things looks awesome!
It's ashame that it is going in between the engine and bellhousing where you wont be able to see it.
Looks like it would hold pretty darn good too.

Well little update. .I pulled the trans and pulled it apart at my buddys shop..what we found was NOT good..remember this was a jasper rebuilt. .2nd and 3rd gears where chewed to pieces, as well as the synchronizers..he quoted me $500 to fix it and obviously I told him to get outa town..so I put it back together and threw it back in..ill just have to start off in 2nd or skip 2nd and go to third..it still goes in 3rd just fine which is odd because the gears looked way worse than 2nd..

My rear main started leaking after I put in this jasper and soon after my clutch started slipping..I blamed it to the oil..BUT the clutch was bone dry and TOTALLY worn out..I guess going to 10 psi of boost smoked it and it was a HD clutch. The new stage 3 clutch feels pretty good..it does have a strong grab like its ""on or off""..only thing that worries me is is MUCH easier to push than my old HD clutch, I like its easier but is it as strong?? Time will tell

Ooo and I bought another ranger to flip so I can get this motor and new trans done before the current one TOTALLY eats its self..motor is going to shop next week so let you know the final cost of that thing..

Lastly I got some new meats....

20150304_160004_zps32uo9a4u.jpg

The ones on the rear in this picture I put on the front..

20150304_160208_zpsm5hcvuxl.jpg

Need better pics, try and get some tomorrow. .
20150305_153505_zpsvfmllz5j.jpg

20150307_123954_zpsbijwdxtr.jpg

20150307_124007_zpssr2teqwc.jpg

Also got all my 8 rib pulleys. .

20150221_145602_zpsuyme8oxp.jpg

New ranger 96 4.0 auto ..with bad ""lifter"" i think, hope rocker.

20150216_104330_zps85j4zrz2.jpg

New ranger 96 4.0 auto ..with bad ""lifter"" i think, hope rocker.

or push rod. i dont know why those motors loved to turn the ends into spears sometimes. that and looks like you might need to start ordering clutches in bulk!

TKO 5 speed transmission is in order, or a transmission from American powertrain?

I have a T5 from a 06 4.0 sohc mustang...its being built by ASTRO..they are just working on a prototype hardened input shaft for it...its different from the standard T5

More pictures of the tires..I have about 2" of clearance which makes me wanna go even wider but think these will be plenty on the street..but mean I can run around a 14"ish wide slick on the track and clear it..

20150309_142239_HDR_zpsfxy3ldjt.jpg

20150309_141157_zpsc7dtccxq.jpg

20150309_141508_HDR_zpsauiezxkk.jpg

20150309_141440_HDR_zpscffkx6gn.jpg

Ranger

Nice meaty tires you have there! Holy crap I love the picture of them on your tailgate, shows how wide they really are. Nice job getting all those pulleys together. How about a side picture of the new tires on the truck?

Nice meaty tires you have there! Holy crap I love the picture of them on your tailgate, shows how wide they really are. Nice job getting all those pulleys together. How about a side picture of the new tires on the truck?

Yea there pretty big..ill try and get a side shot..I already plan to lower the rear 1 1/2" and front 2" though. .there is way to much gap..side note o bottomed out the other day and it tore the wires off my cutouts..haven't had time to fix them but doesn't look like they were damaged other than wires..

The pulleys I had to go to the explorer tensioner setup where the ranger had a ribbed pulley for it but a wider ribbed wont fit..the explorer has a smooth and mounts from the rear so a wider pulley can be used..

So just some updates. .ill start with the red 96 ranger i bought to flip..i was told it had a bad lifter..so started by pulling the valve covers and the rockers were TOTALLY worn out...i thought AWESOME just a rocker issue. .replaced and still tapping..pulled the heads then and rebuilt /cleaned all the lifters.also noticed the valve tips were worn so replaced the valves,seals and pushrods..STILL TAPPING LOUD..so looks to be a bad rod bearing. .NOT GOOD...so planned on taking the motor outa my green 94 and using that shortblock as a replacement. .not a big issue. .

Then was out racing. Raced a new camaro and smoked him by 2,then outa nowhere a Mustang GT 4.6 (i think) joined and we raced..he was faster than the camaro for sure but was spanking him..then we did a red light launch race..i launched in 2nd @5k right in boost and pulled about 3 cars till the middle of 4th gear..he got up to my rear tire and BOOM...i go up in flames and smoke..stopped and poped the hood and saw a busted upper radiator hose..thought woo lucky me,replaced and went to fill the radiator and after a couple gallons i knew something was wrong..walked around and water was coming out the side of my motor as well as the head gasket blown to shreds sticking out the side of the block..

So then go jump in my explore and go to back up and it wont..feels like something is binding..check all the fluid and take off in gear and it starts slipping in 2nd and 3rd...REALLY..take it to my buddy and i broke the teeth off my planetarium gear and the metal was being sucked into the little filters clogging the transmission causing it to overheat and slip. it now needs a full rebuild so I park it and break out the last vehicle, the motorcycle..

So the plan is now to pull both motors out of the Rangers and try to make one good motor for the red 96 Ranger and sell it.once sold i can take the block i have to machine shop FINALLY. .then the crank,rods,pistons and flywheel need to be balanced..

I started pulling motors last weekend..i pulled the trans and motor in 4 hours in the green 94 and plan to pull the red 96 this coming weekend..lets just pray i can make 1 good motor outa the 2...

20150502_201518_zpsapjfjt1d.jpg

20150502_195905_zps0ea2osxt.jpg

Blown gasket: http://youtu.be/Htv_eWnt8XY

O all this has to happen FAST as my company went outa business and i go in for back disc replacement next month..

trucks

It seems to all happen at once doesn't it.
I have three vehicles, and don't they all break down at the same time.
Hope things turn around for you quickly.

At least you don't give up, got one engine out already and will be pulling the other soon. Good luck and keep us posted.

It seems to all happen at once doesn't it.
I have three vehicles, and don't they all break down at the same time.
Hope things turn around for you quickly.

At least you don't give up, got one engine out already and will be pulling the other soon. Good luck and keep us posted.
Thank you..and no im determined to get my 94 done..i dont care if i gota put hand controls and sell a kidney. ..lol

Like i posted on Facebook. ..blowing up the 94 didnt really piss me off that bad..i went out in style, flames and smoke..beating a chevy and a pretty fast GT...

This is the blow up video. .i edited the first couple mins because it was after the first couple races and really nothing to see but me being excited and the camaro driving away..

Will say this i launched in 2nd with cold tires at about 4k rpms..i spun right off the bat and i eased off..you can hear the TERRIBLE DETONATION at high rpms and thats even after i raised my psi to 60psi and run TR6 plugs..(remember stock bottom end with no tune) will say when i say ""o s*** here he comes"" is at about 4k in 4th where i typically end a 1/4..you can hear the motor blow and everything goes white right before i throw the phone..also i wouldnt try this at home because shifting/racing and videotapping is about a dumb as it comes..

(Not on a public road))

https://youtu.be/8Cj5w6fQ5YE

Back