Have you had problems with your factory moonroof? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Have you had problems with your factory moonroof?

Have you ever had a problem with your factory moonroof?

• Yes many problems. (6 or more problems)

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Yes a few problems. (3-5 problems)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes one or two problems.

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • No problems ever.

Votes: 20 60.6%

• Total voters

03ExplorerSPT

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Quincy, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sport XLT Premium
Recently I've been reading some posts on this site and others that people are having problems with their factory moonroofs. Mostly it's been from Explorer and Expedition owners. I'm curious to see if I can expect problems with mine in about 3-4 years after the warranty is gone.

So, have you had problems with your factory moonroof?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No. Mine is a 99 XLT with 82k miles.

Not one problem ever.

I don't have a problem. I wish I had one though ... because that would mean I'd have a moonroof :p .

Yes, I bought my '98 new in Oct'97 and when it rained or I washed it I found drops of water on the armrests. I reported it to the dealer and they repaired the problem, It seems that there is some type of drain up there. Hope this was helpful.

nether of my explorer's have had a prob (94 with pop up kind and 97 with power moon roof)

2001 with allmost 50k on it and not one problem. and i use my sun roof allmost every day,

our 91 has a factory pop-up sunroof, with no problems @165k. my 93 has an aftermarket moonroof which is perfect, but my last car (97 ford contour) the graes within the motor housing started to lose teeth and eventually stopped grabbing. i had to take the whole thing apart and move the crank with pait or plyers to get it to close. a trip to the junk yard, $100 for parts, and about 20 min in labor later, all was well.

My '97 with abot 76k miles has one. I got it three years ago, and about 7-12 months ago it just stopped working. I can make it go into the vent position, where just the back is angled up, but when I try and open it, it just gets into position and then gives up.

It seems like a different sunroof controller than I've seen before though, since my friends '97 XLT has a sunroof and the controls are very different. My controller is a little pad stuck to the sunglass holder.

My '96 has 113k miles on it and has no problems with the moonroof. The only thing that's really bothering me is the sunshade rattles when the shade is open and while driving.

Keepin The Rain Out The Best We Can!

Our 97 XLT has been perfect until about 2 weeks ago....... The moon roof opened, but will not close. There were not any sounds or vibrations noted, just would not close. We are in need of advice on possible emergency closure procedures so we can stop spreading the tarp every time we get out of it. HELP!?!?!?!?!?!

MidMo

My 91 sport has a pop up sunroof. I had the extreme pleasure of it shattering and falling in on me when closed my door one morning. :fire:

HedoChris said:
Our 97 XLT has been perfect until about 2 weeks ago....... The moon roof opened, but will not close. There were not any sounds or vibrations noted, just would not close. We are in need of advice on possible emergency closure procedures so we can stop spreading the tarp every time we get out of it. HELP!?!?!?!?!?!

MidMo

i had something similar happen on my contour. basically, there was a plastic piece that surrounded the switch and motor that i had to get into (i think it was 2 screws). once in, i was ablt to turn the knob that actually moved it with some pliers. i then went to a junk yard and was able to get a replacement motor and once installed, all was OK. my motor wasnt blown, but a gear inside was stripped out.

Moonroof problem

2011 Explorer Limited with about 63,000 miles and the moonroof stopped working. Ford dealer said the motor is fine, but the part to fix it is about $1,500 and the dealer wants $2,800 total to fix it. Not happy. Lucky for me the moonroof stopped working in the closed position.

99 Sport w/82K. This is our second 99 Sport the first one we sold w/275K & not a single problem w/the sunroof but then again we hardly use them.

Back