• Register Today It's free!

How to Replace Radiator Hoses?

MatthewAlan8

Reaction score
City, State
Federal Way, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Hey guys, been a while since I have been here but I was wondering what kind of job it would be to replace my radiator hoses and how would I go about doing it?

The hoses are old in my 1997 Ford Explorer and about 3 years ago, I had to get a new radiator (paid about $600 I think for the part and labor...wasn't even sure if that was a good price). The guy offered to replace all of my hoses as well because they were starting to harden, but he was going to charge me another $300. A friend of mine said that I could do it on my own for like $30 because the hoses are cheap.

Recently, I have not been able to retain coolant in my car and need to buy a new jug of it once every month or so. I can't pin-point exactly where it's leaking from however but it just disappears after a while and I'm guessing that it's the hoses.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hiya,
Hey did you ever get your radiator hoses sorted-out? If so and if you have time, I would really appreciate hearing how easy or hard it was cause mine need replacing as well. I am a woman, somewhat mechanically inclined but I've only dealt with vee dubs before and my explorer is waaaay more complicated. Thanx and have a great day!!!
Victoria (1994 ford explorer)

Rent a fully refundable coolant pressure tester from most auto parts stores.
Guaranteed to find leaks without the expense of changing parts. Call around.

Rent a fully refundable coolant pressure tester from most auto parts stores.
Guaranteed to find leaks without the expense of changing parts. Call around.

Thanx for your reply. I took my explorer to a mechanic recently and they told me I have leaks from my hoses and the intake manifold. I am not prepared to try to change the gaskets but thought I might be able to take care of the hoses myself.

Bent nose pliers Joe Dirt uses on the stock clamps will make replacing hoses much easier.
Also, if you need to drain fluid from the radiator, a 5/16" allen hex fits perfectly. Good luck.

Back