• Register Today It's free!

Massive transmission fluid leak

deamon3

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Eddie Bauer
So I was in my garage when I slid and almost killed myself on a pool of what looks like tranny fluid (burgondy color). So I go out to my explorer in the drive way , and there is a trail of tans fluid leading out of my driveway , it goes for over 3 miles away from my house! I must have lost one or two quarts.

The only thing I can say I did differently today then I did other days , was pull a loaded lawn mower trailer for maybe a half hour.

I should also add that my transmission fluid also disappeared a few weeks ago after I pulled a boat for a few hours. I put 3 quarts in a after that, and today I pull another trailer and it looses it all again???? What wrong with this thing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

where is it leaking from exactly on the truck?if its in between the engine and trans where they bolt up at it could be torque converter or pump seal,or could be the trans pan gasket if coming from the bottom of the trans....does your x have the external trans cooler??if so it will be right behind the grille but infront of your condenser for the truck...check the lines for the trans cooler make sure the screws are tight that hold the lines on

If it's ONLY happening when you are towing, it's the front Seal on the transmission.

Ryan

i recently had a transmission leak on my 92 on one of the lines leaving the transmission, it was rusted through and i didn't notice it right away because it was dripping on the exhaust burning before it started hitting the ground.

Mine leaks right where the engine connects to the transmission , it's all over the place underneath. Although when I bough the car it already had the transmission fixed or replaced and the seal looks new.

OK I put more transmission fluid in and now it's not leaking. I think It just leaks when I tow stuff , so I'll be sure not to tow anything anymore lol.

Hm, this might sound retarted, and maybe I am, but maybe when your pulling all that weight, its maybe "stretching your explorer"... as in, pulling, so the trans is moving back just a micrometer and thats enough for the fluid to say byebye...?

Check all the bolts holding it on, and check the gasket see if theyre on right, and tight lol

The thing is , when I lost the fluid , I wasn't pulling anything the explorer was by itself. But earlier that day I was pulling a unnecessarily heavy trailer (built by idiots) with a mower on it.

Your idea sounded good but I think it would only technically stretch if only the front wheels were engaged and not the back?

Another point I should make is it was very hot that day and the engine may have been hot , where I touched the prop rod for the hood (had to jump the mower) it was very hot. Loose bolts sound like a good place to start maybe. Maybe theres some kinda heat expansion thing going on.

The thing is , when I lost the fluid , I wasn't pulling anything the explorer was by itself. But earlier that day I was pulling a unnecessarily heavy trailer (built by idiots) with a mower on it.

Your idea sounded good but I think it would only technically stretch if only the front wheels were engaged and not the back?

Another point I should make is it was very hot that day and the engine may have been hot , where I touched the prop rod for the hood (had to jump the mower) it was very hot. Loose bolts sound like a good place to start maybe. Maybe theres some kinda heat expansion thing going on.

Don't forget the rear seal your drive shaft spline goes through...Ray S. in PA

TRANSMISSION LEAK "HELP"

Sorry to jump in but I`m not sure where to post.

Yesterday after a full tune up I started up my 94 EX which has not been running for 4 years. It ran for about 45 seconds then put in reverse to go for a short test drive. when the accelerator was easily pushed to back up, the truck seemed to somehow be stuck and not move. This occured only for a moment then started to reverse. Immediately the trans fluid started to pour out in front of the transmission. Repair shops speculate that the front trans seal had dried up from sitting so long and tore. It really poured out in a steady stream. Minimum cost - $800 quoted to replace front trans seal. This was a very gently driven truck with 115,000 miles and the trans fluid had been changed at 70,000 miles. There was no issues with it when parked, Just that the owner got too old to drive and gave it to me. What are the possible simple places that the fluid could be coming from that I can check, before I take it in for service and get a big bill. Does this diagnosis sound like the likely cause?
( I DON`T TRUST TRANSMISSION SHOPS). All responses greatly appreciated.

JOHN.

Deciding what you should repair depends on the condition of the tranny. If it just thef front pump seal, and the rest of the tranny is Ok, then go ahead and do it. But with 115k on it, and with how weak these trannys are from the factory, I'd be a bit weary.

Is the fluid a nice pink color, or is it more of a brown/black? Thats a good starter indication.

Just buy some transmission sealer stuff. Thats how I ultimately fixed mine. Cheap and simple.

Shawn explorer tranny leak

ok...i have a 1993 explorer with the 4 litre and the A4LE transmission with only 86k original miles.....have no transmission leak until i tax the transmission ...ie using 4 wheel drive on hills in wam weather....when the engine gets warmer than usual the fluid will srew out until its empty...i can refill it and drive it normally for hours with no leaks whatsoever....the transmission was just flushed and refilled, the thermostat replaced, and the cooling system flushed and refilled, and i also blew out the transmission cooler to make sure it wasnt plugged...transmission gives me no problem until i stress it a little....i have also ensure the trans is not overfilled...any help here would be great

sounds like something my a4ld did to me..i pulled a yard mower not even for 10 miles back to my house.the nest day i am driving down the highway and it wouldnt shift into any gears.So i pull over to find what looking like 1-2 quarts of trans fluid all over the bottom of my trans it looked to be coming from were the trans bolts to the engine..i had to walk to get some trans fluid by the time i got bad i guess it cooled off enough for the seal to fall back in place.i guess the heat softend the seal up and was allowing it to leak.Filled it up was good to go..

i was about 25-30 miles from my house so i turn around just to be safe and head back home i swear i was not even 1/4 mile from my house and there goes all my fluid again i was so fing pissed i wanted to burn the damn explorer up.I push it home and see that its leaking from the same spot...i knew it had to be the seal..so i started to take it apart with alot of help with people from this site and boy did they save the day.i didnt have a clue how to drop a trans. I guess all i am trying to say is SCREW that high dollar bill that a trans shop wants to do it..go buy your self a nice tool set and do it your self...thats just my .02 thanks

Welcome to this forum! The front seal blow out problem is a common issue. Did you check the coolant level in the radiator?

Yes coolan level regular....however....when ever this happens seems the coolant in the reserve tank is boiling although the temp gauge indicates no overheat...just replaced the thermostat and flushed radiator...perplexing that the trans dosent leak constantly.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back