Solved - How to change SPARK PLUGS on a 4.6L V-8 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved How to change SPARK PLUGS on a 4.6L V-8

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
Ok Guys...changed all my plugs on my 4.6 and it was EASY!! Thanks After I figured out that the small round thing by the injector was the coil and I removed the first one the rest was history.
I removed the air box all the way out from the TB and that was the only thing I had to move out of the way. I changed all the plugs and boots and put plenty of the special electric grease on the wire that goes inside the boots. NOTE: make sure you press the wire onto the coil firmly till it snaps in place. I used my air nozzle on the compressor and it worked great to remove all the grime around and inside the plug and I made sure it was clean by using a flashlight and a mirror before removing them!!
I have not started the truck yet cause I want to change the fuel filter but now I have to do a search on how to undo the two lines with the red cilp on the hose!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i just did mine 2 months ago. Its pretty easy, there is a little lever on those red clips that you just slide so that the red piece of plastic expand around hte lip on the filter. then just kinda pull it off carefully...be sure to drain the fuel system as best you can (can be acompleshed via fuze removal). Wear safety glasses and clothes you dont mind ruining, you WILL get some gas on you. I can asure you its worth changing, the color of hte stuff i poured out was almost black...nasty stuff.

got the 2 red clips off the fuel filter but my plastic tool for the other line is not working...will have to go see if I can find the metal one.

Can anyone tell me where the PCV valve is?

Dudes...this thread is about changing sparkplugs on a 4.6L V-8 not a place to ask how to replace or rebuild everything in your engine. Just start a new thread if you have an off topic question. Plenty of people will jump in and help. For your Fuel Filter look here for all the glorious details.

started the X and she is as smooth as she was the day I drove her out of the dealer in 2002!! :)
by the way, thanks for the link on the fuel filter...I was reading it at the same time I made my last post...I have been working on a full tune up for the last 2 days and doing a lot of research on the basic stuff.

started the X and she is as smooth as she was the day I drove her out of the dealer in 2002!! :)
by the way, thanks for the link on the fuel filter...I was reading it at the same time I made my last post...I have been working on a full tune up for the last 2 days and doing a lot of research on the basic stuff.

:thumbsup:

spark plug change 2002 4.6 X LTD

I've been debating whether to change my own spark plugs or send it off to the dealer. After reading all of the success stories in this thread, I think I may try it myself (I am very handy, I just hate working on these new cars). I have to go to the dealer tonight anyway and pick up a DPFE (P1400 code), maybe I'll pick up some spark plugs while I am there. Thanks all.

oNioN
2002 V8 X lmtd wht/slvr

I haven't changed the plugs on my Explorer, but compared to my Expedition, it could be done one-handed. The Expy was a NIGHTMARE (especially when I still had a dead cylinder when it was all done). On the Explorer, everything is right out in the open.

One additional suggestion I would offer up, that I used on my Expy - Have at least one of your extensions be the locking type (where you have to move a lever to release it), and use it right at the spark plug socket. It's really easy to lose a spark plug socket in these OHC heads since the holes are so deep, and if the socket is stuck on the plug, you have to remove the plug again to get it back. If you don't have one of those extensions, do your initial loosening and (especially) final tightening with a standard 5/8" deep socket (without the rubber insert).

FYI- If you use a length of 3/8" fuel hose to install the plugs you won't have to worry about cross threading. It offers more of a feel to finger tighten them instead of using the socket.

** a swivel 1/4" drive 7mm socket for the coil pack bolts makes the coil pack MUCH easier to deal with.

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10...ord=7mm+socket&prdNo=4&blockNo=4&blockType=L4

** Platinum This, Irridium That, 2-3-4-10 Prog electrode the other, is all gimickery. I will NEVER understand the lazy inclination to spend 5x the $$ for platinum plugs and do the work less often as the mileage racks up. As the miles go up, you should be MORE worried about what's going on inside the engine not LESS... NGK V-power copper plugs every 15-25K depending on how the wife is driving... thanks much.

** Anti-seize YES on the plug. the plug thread area is steel/alloy. Your cylinder head is aluminum. Dissimilar metals expand/contract & heat/cool at different rates. Galling while REMOVING the plug is far more common than when threading them in. Anti-seize is to help you REMOVE them the next time, escpecially if you are leaving them in ANOTHER 100K <roll eyes>

** Napa & CRC both sell an excellent spray battery & iginition sealer that is less mess than die-electric grease/paste. Spray, seat the coil pack, tighten as recommended.

** Keep the plugs in order as you take them out. Then take a look at them. Especially if you are not going 100K+. they tell you LOTS about the fuel, the engine's health, & what's REALLY going on.

Rob

Just did this job today. Was MUCH easier than I thought it was going to be. Took me about an hour and half.

Need some help on this one. Just replaced #2 coil, and the spark plug came out w/ the coil. Is that normal? I always thought the coil should come out w/o the spark plug attached. Once I replaced the old coil the misfire stopped but it has started again and this time no engine light signal. What should I do next?

Need some help on this one. Just replaced #2 coil, and the spark plug came out w/ the coil. Is that normal? I always thought the coil should come out w/o the spark plug attached. Once I replaced the old coil the misfire stopped but it has started again and this time no engine light signal. What should I do next?

:eek: NO IT IS NOT NORMAL. Was it just the white ceramic part of the plug or the whole thing, threads and all?

Changing plugs

I have 145K on my 02 xls and only now am I considering changing the plugs. Its been running smooth and started with a tap of the key only until this week. Thanks for the tool recommendations.

:eek: NO IT IS NOT NORMAL. Was it just the white ceramic part of the plug or the whole thing, threads and all?

It was the entire plug. I'm prepared for the bad news....

It was the entire plug. I'm prepared for the bad news....

The modular triton v8's are known to blow out spark plugs. This is probably what happened. check the threads of the old plugs to see if they are damaged. Most likeily they are and the threads in the head a messed up too. The threads can be repaired without removing the cylinder head. Timesert makes a really good kit to fix it but it is $$$ for the kit.

You mentioined that you changed the plugs, how did the new one thread in? was is easy or very difficult?

The modular triton v8's are known to blow out spark plugs. This is probably what happened. check the threads of the old plugs to see if they are damaged. Most likeily they are and the threads in the head a messed up too. The threads can be repaired without removing the cylinder head. Timesert makes a really good kit to fix it but it is $$$ for the kit.

You mentioined that you changed the plugs, how did the new one thread in? was is easy or very difficult?

Thread on the old plug look fine, not sure about the head. I have not changed the plugs. That's my next step if possible.

Will the loctite version of the nickel grease be okay? I cannot get my hands on the motorcraft stuff, no matter how hard I tried. I'm not going to order it, because I'm doing the plugs this weekend.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got missfire code on cylinder #5 (Mountaineer 2002, V8), is there a way to locate #5 and only change coil and spark plug for this one? I am not very handy and really dare not to mess up more. Thanks.

Back