• Register Today It's free!

Factory sub amp blown?

CJL

Reaction score
City, State
M
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
I have no power to the wires that go to the sub.I tried 2 different speakers and got no sound.

The door speakers work fine if that means anything.

Is this a common problem with the factory amp?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I probed a couple wires on the left side of the amp and it shows 12+volts.

I have a mach system but a premium radio,could that be a reason?

Could be the sub...or a fuse..or a burnt up wire. What guage wire's are you using? Whats the output of your system?....how do you have it wired up?

Sorry I meant the factory amp,not aftermarket.

ohh thats another story then haha... one of which I'm not familiar with.

I read somewhere about a mute wire/button on the factory HU. Since mine HU was swapped,is there a way I can splice the turn on wire?

Ok I got the factory sub/amp to work. I had to make jumper wires from the ignition to audio mute, LF+ to sub+ ,LF- to sub-. Only problem is there is treble from the sub and static.

So this tells me that my radio is not sending the proper signal/voltage to the sub amp.
Is there a way to work the sub from a non mach radio?

That way I can remove my jumper wires and go back to the stock way.

where is this audio mute/wire located? i have the same problem with my 99 mounty, how did you remove the sub? i removed all the screws around the sub, and it will rotate, but will not pull out! i want to check that audio mute button but don't know where it's located

thanks

MaDDpYrO

where is this audio mute/wire located? i have the same problem with my 99 mounty, how did you remove the sub? i removed all the screws around the sub, and it will rotate, but will not pull out! i want to check that audio mute button but don't know where it's located

thanks

MaDDpYrO

There is a bolt going through the magnet,have to remove the enclosure to access the bolt.

no wonder! lol it kept rotating left and right! ok ill remove the entire unite no problem, now if I can locate the audio mute thingy! lol thanks for your help the schematic shows the wiring and it helps to see the wire color codes and such , but doest tell you "the audio mute button/wire is under the passenger seat to the left" type location. can any one help? is the located by the stereo, or by the amp? or some where in between?

thanks for your help.

Audio mute wire comes out of the harness 8 pin connector at the back of the radio and goes to the passenger side kick panel, under the door sill trim plate and behind the interior panel to the amplifier 10 pin connector and is colored as shown in the schematic.

Remember that third smaller plug connector on the back of your radio? Pull it off and make sure that on the radio itself the pin are physically there. Many Ford radio's had where the third connector could physically plug in but the pins with the output for the sub woofer are only present on the Mach models. If indeed you have a premium model, I bet they are missing yet it does indeed have a slot for the third connector to plug in (park). Just checking different connection points for the 5volts on the third plug starting at the back of the radio should also confirm where the sub woofer signal is being lost to the rear sub amp.

thanks guys i'll have to check that stuff, if i cant get it working, then I'll just get an aftermarket stereo installed lol ill try ur suggestions , hope i can fix this, cause my wife drives a 2001 xlt ex. and she doesnt have the rear sub. on her truck and it sounds better than my mounty with the sub. back there. I'd figure the my mounty should sound better than an ex. w/o the sub. back there, wouldn't you think? idk! thanks again.
MaDDpYrO1!!

The mounty with the Mach sub system has a built in eq that limits low frequencies to the door speakers. If the sub doesn't work you will have very anemic bass. The ex has full range sound to the door speakers.

Back