• Register Today It's free!

Jack and Spare wheel crank handle

99XSP

Reaction score
City, State
Mishawaka, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XL Sport
Hm, I searched, but couldn't find any matching answer.

Jack and crank handle (for the spare wheel) are missing on my '99. I saw that the plastic cover in the rear (on the driver side) has the mount for a small wrench or something. Is that the crank handle for the spare wheel as well? Looks kind of short.

Or is there a separate handle? On my 1st Gen, it was mounted under the hood.

Does anyone maybe have pictures? I'm going to a junkyard to get the parts, but don't know what I all need.

Thanks for any input!

Greetings!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes that is indeed the location and the handle. It is only about 8-10 inches long. I carry an 18'' breaker bar and 19mm sockets to make short work of tire changes. I also toss my hitch in there so I always have it available.

The mounting brackets on the back of the panel is for the lug wrench. The jack stands up in the compartment. You should also have two extension rods that are stored under the rear seats. (Flip the seats down and look under the lift up panel) It is actually the end of one of the rods that fits in the jack and is used to lower the spare. The lug wrench works as a crank handle when attached to the extension rods.

EE

I lost one half of my handle, and the other half had the end missing on it, so it just spun in the winch. A easy quick fix for me was to just use my long one piece crank handle from my 1st gen.

When you look for a replacement, make sure it has the tip! It has a to have the tip to be able to work! They pop off and get left in the winch sometimes. A design flaw if you ask me. The tip has a slight hook on it.

Thanks so much for all your replies.

So I am looking for:

- jack
- lug wrench
- 2 extension rods

I will flip up my rear seats and do some searching, who knows what I will find there. Maybe I get lucky.

GMAxxx: Thanks for the details about the tip. You are right, the whole think wont work if the tip was missing.

Thanks all. I'll do some searching and will update. The junkyard close to where I live has currently 7 Explorers sitting there (2ndGen). None of them had the wrench nor the jack in it.

Greetings!

Spare wheel

Cannot get spare down. I think i am missing tip. What does it look like? Is it square? Is it long? It fits into square lug i suppose. My spare is hanging loose.:

Cannot get spare down. I think i am missing tip. What does it look like? Is it square? Is it long? It fits into square lug i suppose. My spare is hanging loose.:

A while ago ... used the largest and longest flat blade screwdriver in the crank opening... and used a large deep socket that would fit over the grip of the screwdriver handle... and started to ratchet/crank down/up for the spare.

Most of the biggie screwdrivers have a rectangular/square shaft... suitable for a wrench to bite on it. (Then I ran to the junkyard to get the 2 rod pieces... had the jack and handle... but no rods).

Spare wheel

Thanks for advice re screwdriver BBQ Bandit - worked fine for me thanks. Would however like to get a tip, if anybody has one.:thumbsup:

When you look for a replacement, make sure it has the tip! It has a to have the tip to be able to work! They pop off and get left in the winch sometimes. A design flaw if you ask me. The tip has a slight hook on it.

The tip on mine is broken off and it works just fine in the tire winch. doesn't work on the jack obviously but the tip is not needed for the winch.

I just use the lug wrench. The pointed tip fits both the winch and the jack very well.

You should also have two extension rods that are stored under the rear seats. (Flip the seats down and look under the lift up panel
Since he has a Sport, the rods are actually under the carpet in the trunk area. They're behind the seats, not under them (like they are in the 4D models). :)

Since he has a Sport, the rods are actually under the carpet in the trunk area. They're behind the seats, not under them (like they are in the 4D models). :)

Correct. In the rear hatch area, reach forward and grab the front most edge of the carpet. You'll feel a plastic lip. Pop the lip up and roll the carpet back. The two extension sections of crank rod should be snapped down in there.

One end goes through the body into the crank. The other end slips into the square hole in the lug wrench, so that the lug wrench acts as the crank. Pretty simple design (if you can figure it out).

-Joe

I'm glad I found this thread.

one time I had a flat on I-94 in the bad part of detroit, with a half-shoulder to park on...

the damn lug wrench was missing but luckily I had my wrench set so I got the lug nuts off

getting the wheel down was a challenge, I took the second extension rod and beat it over the concrete median till it bent, the bend allowed me to lower the tire and use the jack

I took the second extension rod and beat it over the concrete median till it bent, the bend allowed me to lower the tire and use the jack

I know the area, and the visual of you hatcheting something into the ground in large overhead swipes drew no odd looks at all- seriously... I grew up near there, drove by there all the time, and I would have just looked straight ahead and drove by like anyone driving through the D... :D

does any one what other ford model jack handle works on the 1999 exploer. I have lost the two piece crank that is used to lower the spare and work the jack and am headed to salavage yard to a replacemet. thanks Dibroc

I'm glad I found this thread very helpful as is this website

Back