Transmission "bump" aka "hard shifting" TSB | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission "bump" aka "hard shifting" TSB

The first step is making an appointment with your dealerships so they can take a look. Additionally, you can reach out to me so I can see how I can assist; all I need from you is a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name. I'll get to work!

My dealer has already taken a look. 3 times in fact. First they could not duplicate the problem. Then I had to drive the service manager around and reproduce the problem for him. He acknowledged it. The only thing they did was reboot the transmission software. Well, it didn't work. Now I've waited a week and a half for the burning smell parts to arrive. I've complained about this problem since my car was 3 months old.

All I want to do is take it in one more time and have everything fixed. My dealer is refusing to order the TSB parts because it does not cover my build year. Well, another software reboot will do absolutely nothing, so why can't they get approval to try the transmission TSB.

In an effort to solve the "burning oil smell" they performed the "coolant hose replacement TSB" when it didn't even apply.

Mark my customer service regional manage is already in contact with me. I have him on Speed Dial.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Prior to having mine done for this TSB, I covered about +34,000 miles in the first year, and I got the "BUMP" 2 or 3 times. Very alarming. Looked in the rear mirror for transmission parts. It was that bad.

Since last Spring, and after having the TSB done, and another +30,000 miles, NO MORE BUMP.

Search my 'username' and you'll find a thread I started listing the TSB's part numbers and such.

My dealer has already taken a look. 3 times in fact. First they could not duplicate the problem. Then I had to drive the service manager around and reproduce the problem for him. He acknowledged it. The only thing they did was reboot the transmission software. Well, it didn't work. Now I've waited a week and a half for the burning smell parts to arrive. I've complained about this problem since my car was 3 months old.

All I want to do is take it in one more time and have everything fixed. My dealer is refusing to order the TSB parts because it does not cover my build year. Well, another software reboot will do absolutely nothing, so why can't they get approval to try the transmission TSB.

In an effort to solve the "burning oil smell" they performed the "coolant hose replacement TSB" when it didn't even apply.

Mark my customer service regional manage is already in contact with me. I have him on Speed Dial.

Hi gpzrider,

I'm glad to hear that you've been in touch with Mark; he'll be in the best position to assist you. Keep in mind that if you would prefer, you can always get a second opinion at a different Ford dealership. Please reach out to me if you need any additional assistance.

Crystal

I have it, not sure about my build date, but my dealer won't do anything about it because they can't recreate it.

Honestly, I have that and other issues and have just about given up on getting things fixed that I am able to live with.

Sometimes hard to believe these things cost 40k

Thank you Crystal

Please reach out to me if you need any additional assistance.Crystal

Thank you Crystal.

Can you please call Dino at South Bay Ford in Torrance, CA and authorize the transmission bump TSB for my car? That is all I need. They are totally willing to perform it if Ford says OK. That would really be a big help. Thanks again for offering to assist.

Carlos

Same here. Build date May 2011. I've had that "bump" about 2-3 times. I cannot reproduce it at all.

I have not taken it in because there is no way I can reproduce it despite precisely reproducing what I thought was the operating conditions at the time of occurence.

Funny thing is that all three instances seemed to happen within about a month of each other. Nothing since (and that was about 4 months ago) and nothing in the year and a half before that.

I'm just gonna leave it alone as of right now because I cant reproduce it and it hasn't happened in awhile.

Interesting thing is that in Vegas this weekend, we took a taxi that was a 2011 Ford Explorer base and I was talking to the driver about it. He had 100k+ miles on it, and he said that he liked it, but the transmission had been worked on several times. Not a good sign! Granted, cabbies are probably a bit harder on cars than most of us.

Sometimes hard to believe these things cost 40k

Don't feel too bad about the Explorer - my wife's 35k 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee has lots of problems too.

Her air conditioning quits on really hot days during long road trips (4 or more hours). The mechanic's explanation makes sense - the condensor coils are accumulating ice, blocking the airflow. To me that makes it a design defect - I've never had that happen in a car before. Chrysler doesn't care.

Her transmission sounds like it falls out of the car when you shift from park on an incline. Mechanic says its normal. Chrysler doesn't care.

Yesterday, when we started it up after having it sit for a few days in the cold airport parking ramp, had trouble starting up and squealed really loud for the first 2-3 minutes. I've never heard the Explorer do this.

Chrysler pulls the same "we can't reproduce it" or "its normal" that Ford seems to pull.

Thank you Crystal.

Can you please call Dino at South Bay Ford in Torrance, CA and authorize the transmission bump TSB for my car? That is all I need. They are totally willing to perform it if Ford says OK. That would really be a big help. Thanks again for offering to assist.

Carlos

Hi Carlos,

I don't have the ability to make outbound calls; your customer service manager is in the best position to assist you with this concern. If you need me to arrange for your CSM to follow up with you, just send me a PM with your daytime phone number and current mileage; I'll pass it along!

Thanks,

Crystal

....at South Bay Ford in Torrance, CA ......They are totally willing to perform it if Ford says OK.

I have gone to these folks for oil changes as they are the closest to my work. They seem to be pretty fair. I have not used them for anything beyond oil changes..... but i do like the ticket for the meal they give you :)

I wish I had a coupon that would get my car fixed.

I have the exact same issue. When i took it into the dealer they said they cant repeat the issue. Happens every time i accelerate mildly up a small hill.

They will not fix it.

You don't have a phone?

Hi Carlos, I don't have the ability to make outbound calls, Crystal

Crystal, that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. You work for a multi billion dollar company and you can't make outbound calls? If you are incapable of helping those of us on this forum with problems just say so. Don't make it seem like your are here to help us. What I have found by reading your and Cory's responses, is that your main function is to do investigate research for Ford on when and where problems exist with their products. You make it seem like your here to help by you really just document problems for Ford's research department. That is why you consistently ask for VIN number and mileage.

You don't have a phone? Ok, then send them an email on my behalf. A text message? What about a fax? Smoke signals? Teletype? Letter?

Your response was ridiculous.

Transmission Bump

So, I am having this issue that has been bothering me. I figured out that it happens mostly on cold days. That is, the transmission bump. During the summer, everything is fine. When it hits winter, everything gets worse and my transmission kicks into gear like a donkey after coasting.

Does anyone still have the transmission bump? I suspect it only happens around wintertime. I never had the TSB done so I think I probably do need to get it done. Doesn't happen all the time, just winter.

So, I am having this issue that has been bothering me. I figured out that it happens mostly on cold days. That is, the transmission bump. During the summer, everything is fine. When it hits winter, everything gets worse and my transmission kicks into gear like a donkey after coasting.

Does anyone still have the transmission bump? I suspect it only happens around wintertime. I never had the TSB done so I think I probably do need to get it done. Doesn't happen all the time, just winter.
There are already several threads on 'Transmission Bump'.
The only thing I've noticed with my transmission is that on really cold days it may hang onto each gear a little longer than usual. Once it has gone through all the shifts the first time, all is ok again. Has only done it a couple of times and my Highlanders did the same. No 'bump'.

Peter

Does "bump" mean that it shifts hard into the next gear? I get what might be called a "bump" sometimes when I'm slowing down because of a car in front or me turning or maybe slowing at a yield but I don't have to stop & when I accelerate, the transmission shifts hard - hard enough to make it seem like a "bump".

Transmission bump

There is a TSB for that. My wife's Ex did that, and after the TSB service, it worked like it should. No problems since then. (about 3-4 months)

See a dealer to get it resolved. Call him first, and explain, as they may have to order a part or 2 for the tranny. No need to make several trips...

Does "bump" mean that it shifts hard into the next gear? I get what might be called a "bump" sometimes when I'm slowing down because of a car in front or me turning or maybe slowing at a yield but I don't have to stop & when I accelerate, the transmission shifts hard - hard enough to make it seem like a "bump".
As briteboy pointed out, there is a TSB that may apply to your problem.

11-9-11 6F50/6F55 TRANSMISSION - SLUGGISH ACCELERATION FROM 0-8 KM\H (0-5 MPH) FOLLOWED BY A HARSH BUMP OR A SLIP ON TAKE-OFF FOLLOWED BY A BUMP - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 4/15/2011

It is shown in the 2011 & 2012 Ford Explorers TSB thread.

Peter

Mine did it but had nothing to do with the tsb. Mine was doing it in the 30-50mph when you let off to coast to a light then stepped on the gas because the light turned green. It would slam in gear very hard.. as if you just dropped your tranny on the ground.

The dealer reset the tranny and did a relearn procedure (requires them to go out on the road and follow a series of steps). It has been over 20,000 miles and haven't had it happen again.

I figured you were having my issue and not the 0-5mph tsb since you said coasting.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Too Much Electronics?

^^^ The vehicles these days are the equivalent of computers on wheels. If something stops working, reboot is the answer. If something else fails, reprogram or update it. Now we are now sending trannys back to school to relearn.:D

Peter

Back