• Register Today It's free!

Tape Won't Suck into Tape Player

NJExplorerFan

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Limited
Anybody ever have their factory radio tape player stop accepting tapes? Obviously we don't have any auxiliary connection on a factory radio from 11 years ago but I do use a cassette tape adapter that allows me to play anything off my iPhone. All of a sudden a couple days ago, it started no longer sucking in the tape adapter. I tried another old tape I saved from decades ago and that didn't work either?

Any tricks to get it working again? Is it worth fixing or is it time for an aftermarket radio with AUX and USB connector built in?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, awesome, I'm NOT the only guy still using a cassette deck in their truck! :D

Two old foagies in the same forum, how exciting. You may want to post a picture of what a tape is, as most probably don't know.

I'd recommend getting a cheap CD player. You can get them new for less than $150 (with USB) or hit up craigslist for a used one.

Only problem IMO, is that a single DIN stereo looks like crap in the opening.

Edit: anyone notice that the adds pick up on what's being discussed in the posts? Mine is showing a tape adapter.

Wow, awesome, I'm NOT the only guy still using a cassette deck in their truck! :D

:D:D:D

Should be an old record player around somewhere you can bolt to the dash.....Just try not to hit any potholes when ya favorite tune is on :D

Can't complain about build quality, still have one that works! Bulletproof. Pioneer KP-500 (Circa 1976)

PioneerKP-500.jpg

http://www.tapeheads.net/showpost.php?p=77525&postcount=12

If my factory radio looked like that I woulda kept it. I thought have never had a problem with tape decks. Sorry I'm of no help but just here to debate what [MENTION=226817]Number4[/MENTION] said, I am only 21 but I did use a walkman as a kid.

Is it possible you could just pick up a stock radio from the Junkyard. The radio doesn't necessarily be from an explorer, I've used mustang and windstar radios in the past, just check the wire connections while in the yard.

First off I wanna say you guys all cracked me up when I read this. I'm glad everyone has a great sense of humor. LOL.... Well to clarify, I'm not an old guy. I'm just using the tape player to stream Pandora off my iPhone. It's the only way to do it. I guess since nobody has their factory cassette/CD radio anymore, no real comments on fixing it. I suppose the only solution now is to get a new head unit with modern capabilities where I can use Bluetooth to stream music.

Is this something that's easy to install myself? Any recommendations? I hear Crutchfield.com sells units that are literally plug-n-play.

First off I wanna say you guys all cracked me up when I read this. I'm glad everyone has a great sense of humor. LOL.... Well to clarify, I'm not an old guy. I'm just using the tape player to stream Pandora off my iPhone. It's the only way to do it. I guess since nobody has their factory cassette/CD radio anymore, no real comments on fixing it. I suppose the only solution now is to get a new head unit with modern capabilities where I can use Bluetooth to stream music.

Is this something that's easy to install myself? Any recommendations? I hear Crutchfield.com sells units that are literally plug-n-play.

Crutchfield is good and it's good to support them.
They offer great comparison sheets. Especially in their catalogs. I've only used them for automotive purposes.
You may get a stereo cheaper, say, on Amazon, but once you add in the connectors it's usually really close. As well with Crutchfield you get the customer tech service.

Nowadays, after market adapters are available that replace the need to splice cables. So along with your stereo make sure you get the proper adapter and it's almost plug and play.

I don't know about being an "old foagie" or anything, but I've got a 78 firebird that still has the factory 8-track in the dash! On your issue, though, they do make some nice double din aftermarket head units that should suit your needs well. As an added benefit, youll probably get better sound out of it, too! Good luck with the upgrade

My '99 had the stock radio, and it worked perfectly (including the tape deck). Took that out to put a BT-enabled radio in (IL is now a hands-free state).

Recommend Crutchfield 100% - echo what the other poster said...you might find it a few dollars cheaper, but you get all the adapters / mounting kits / harnesses for free - and that makes a world of difference when you're installing it.

Took that radio out of the '99 and put it in my '02 when I bought it, then put the '99 radio back in - I gave the new buyer of the '99 a choice of that or the aftermarket one that came out of the '02 - and she chose the factory radio (which is what I'd have chosen as well, over the aftermarket one in the '02)

You can find replacement factory units on eBay, but I'd recommend just putting in a new one - and it'll be cheaper, depending on what you buy. My Alpine has BT, a CD, front panel USB, front panel AUX, sounds worlds better (ok, I did replace the speakers, too), and cost all of $140. Now I'm looking to put my old unused Infinity BassLink in the Explorer :)

Anyone know how Best Buy is when it comes to aftermarket radios? They also install it for you. Worth checking out? Is the price right there? Will I be getting some punk 18 yr old kid doing the install? What about any other car audio shop?

Just weighing all the options...

Anyone know how Best Buy is when it comes to aftermarket radios? They also install it for you. Worth checking out? Is the price right there? Will I be getting some punk 18 yr old kid doing the install? What about any other car audio shop?

Just weighing all the options...

My 04 I bought used, the previous owner had recently used Bestbuy to install a sub, door speakers and radio.
They did not secure the screws in the door panel.
They did not put all of the door panel screws back in
They did not properly connect the speakers to the wire harness
They stripped some of the speaker mounting holes
They did not put all speaker mounting screws back in
They did not tuck the speaker wiring inside the door in a fashion that would prevent a rolled down window from snagging it

To the best of my knowledge, this was all do to the installers as it was stock before.

All of this, door speakers and radio install, are extremely easy for a DIY'r to do themselves.

Back