96EXXLTinCO | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96EXXLTinCO

I've been lurking around here for a while now. I originally bought this 96 XLT, 4.0L, 5-speed man., 4x4 from a buddy. I was driving a 2001 Mitsubishi eclipse spyder GT, but it broke down. My buddy and his wife had just bought a newer Cherokee and the explorer was just sitting there. So he let me drive it for a while till I got the car fixed. Then I didn't want to let it go. So I gave him $1250 for it. This is pretty much it as I bought it:
20141120_164935_zpso9jbe0qd.jpg

started out with some lights under the dash:
20141115_211605_zpsjgorinbp.jpg

20141115_211632_zpsqsecr5uo.jpg

Added some sound:
20141120_165257_zpsnkq0ixaq.jpg

Then came my bday present:
20150121_141607_zpsfurpopdv.jpg

20150121_155346%20Mobile_zpssuap0r1g.jpg

But is looks WAY too small IMO, so off to Cabela's I go with gift cards.....oh btw, the body damage was from my buddy when he still owned it, backed into a gas pump pylon.....anyway, OFF TO CABELA'S:
20150129_114302%20Mobile_zpsz3plehdh.jpg

Bought the extra 22 or so inch extension off the shelf, I think that looks much better, and is way more functional too. Then I added one of these: (yes it says ice, it was a cold day).
20150227_135111%20Mobile_zps6wfyhcde.jpg

Next it was time for a AAL and TT:
20150507_193052%20Mobile_zpsmjcoy8bo.jpg

Yes the back is still sagging, but I finally pulled the trigger on the leaf spring bushings today (will be here saturday) so I can install the cheap autozone shackles for now. I found a decent set on a 95 at one of my pick and pull yards, but bolts were seized of course and I almost lost a finger trying to get em off, so autozone cheapies it is for now until I get my hands on some 2"x3/8" and fab up my own shackles. Really not looking forward to wrestling those bushings, but I want this part of the lift done. I got a line on some Mickey Thompsons for cheap that I want to get on this thing soon. So I finally took her out on her maiden voyage run to Johnny's Park. I know, not smart, but I went alone. Back in the day I had a 79 Bronco, and then a 90 F-150 that I took up to that trail all the time. Got to one rocky section that I wasn't feeling confident about and it started raining, so I decided it best to get the hell outta dodge. Had a blast and she did well. Here's a few pics from that day:
20150711_181353%20Mobile_zps2vrt43c4.jpg

Ya'll know how much pics never do the steepness any justice:
20150711_181526%20Mobile_zpsjvhl9jlg.jpg

20150711_182051%20Mobile_zpsh97bsfmo.jpg

20150711_182243%20Mobile_zpsdmrcz4gn.jpg

20150711_182454%20Mobile_zpsckbqcdul.jpg

20150711_182904%20Mobile_zpsrrqen8od.jpg

Found this little spur off the trail that looked fun:
20150711_183047%20Mobile_zpsb1efd7um.jpg

And again, pics never do the steepness any justice, but was steep, and it was loose, just after where I took this, I lost traction and has to turn around. Not a fun task on a steep loose hill, thought we were gonna eat it at one point, but we finally got the nose pointed downhill.
20150711_183231%20Mobile_zpsjm9ebwq9.jpg

And back home with her first bit of dirt from wheelin on her:
CIMG0225%20Mobile_zpsljrgovgq.jpg

The very next weekend, took a gal out wheelin on a first date, LOL. Tried to hit Pierson park road in Estes, but it's still closed from floods. Headed down to Allenspark and took the ski road quite a ways back, really rocky bumpy trail, constantly getting thrown around, but I can't wait to go back up there and take the trail all the way back. Apparently there was a ski area back in there in the 40's. Was only open a few years and only had 4-5 runs and 2 tow ropes. I dont believe any evidence of it is left. So once we got out of there I attacked Johnny's park from the other end, this time crossing the sketchy rocky area that turned me back before with no problems. We found a spur off the other end of the trail and parked where we could see the lights out east and just hung out for a few hours. I did discover I'm going to need more lights however.........I turned into some pretty sharp turns without being able to see what I was turning into......a little creepy...But we made it out and then next day it was time to delete those running boards. Before:
CIMG0295%20Mobile_zps2emuifkw.jpg

CIMG0296%20Mobile_zpsooehfgh1.jpg

And after:
CIMG0297%20Mobile_zpsx6x1yxnu.jpg

CIMG0298%20Mobile_zpskve7fwjj.jpg

Then I went ahead and finally installed a black herc'd grill I came across at the pick and pull:
CIMG0300%20Mobile_zpswqklfsy5.jpg

And that's how she sits right now. I got tons of little things to fix/replace and lots more mods. I hope to have 3" BL and 33's under this time next year. For now, I just want some 31-ish tires on it, and get everything back up to par before waterfowl hunting season.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Well look at who's ratchet ass decided to get out of the driveway finally. Looks like I'll make that run tomorrow after all.

CIMG0474%20Medium_zpsscfnk6ra.jpg

Planning on meeting up with a member from another site and her friend from out of town after work today, hopefully finding a camping spot in the area, as it is a popular area from what I hear, and meeting up the rest of the crew in Bailey Saturday morning for our run up Geneva Creek.

Been a busy week. Got the truck put together and ready to go in time for a run with a local group. Did a trail called Geneva Creek. Real mild trail up to some old mines with some pretty nice views. Met a lot of new people, and had a great time. Went up to the trail the night before and found a camp spot back off the trail a ways. Being a holiday weekend there was a lot of people up there and the place was filled with campers, but we found a pretty cool spot:

CIMG0483%20Medium_zpsnzwxcgfn.jpg

CIMG0477%20Medium_zpsjlsfspr4.jpg

I checked the night before I headed up there and we would have a total of 4 trucks, including mine. When we got to the meet up spot in the morning, we had a total of 7. So we headed for the trail:

CIMG0484%20Medium_zpsp2igwuuy.jpg

I couldn't hardly get everyone in the shot when we pulled in to air down:

CIMG0490%20Medium_zpspch5ckkl.jpg

This was a shakedown run for one of the husband/wife teams, and they discovered the tires were getting a little too up close and personal with the fender flares, so off came the flares. While we were pulled over and working on the Jeep, a Behemoth of a JK rumbled up the trail, the driver was out on his own and asked if he could tag along with us. 7, became 8 trucks in total:

CIMG0493%20Medium_zpsfakdhgnw.jpg

continuing on up the trail:

CIMG0496%20Medium_zpsdv6pjnxa.jpg

Congrats on getting it trail ready in time! :chug:

How did the rig do for you up there?

Did well, actually made it to the top with a front sway, not a bad trail at all. I did decide to take it off at the top though. I must admit, I was in the middle of updating and had to run out, there's still more pics to come from that run. But we went and did Barbour Forks yesterday, that was the trucks biggest challenge yet l, and we did acquire our first trail damage. The cherry has been popped!! Pics of that and story to come, hopefully later tonight. Gotta run out again. Will try and get this updated tonight though.

obviously didn't get those trail damage pics up last night, on my way to do a brake job for a buddies dad, but wanted to throw up these pics and get some opinions. I'm about to slide under it for a good inspection, but this wasn't what I wanted to see yesterday. I'm going to check for any structural cracks, or stresses, but anybody seen or heard of this getting whacked? Tell me I'm totally f$%ked and being forced into early coil overs? Was coming down the trail could see a small drop off a rock, no bid deal, went to slide down nice and easy and when my internal measuring tape said my fronts should be landing, I let off the brake just a touch and WHAM!! There was a blind drop off on the other side of that rock. Thought for sure I was high centered but turns out fronts were on the ground. Creeped down the rest of the way with spotter and was told I had all of about a centimeter between said rock and bottom of the rear bumper (just to put drop off height in perspective) As I said I'm going to go do a good inspection now, if there is anything else I find I'll post it up later, but what's your initial impression?

20150910_171816%20Mobile_zpswe3uf5dx.jpg

20150910_171826%20Mobile_zpszbbh9ld8.jpg

20150910_171831%20Mobile_zpsmhzwjyni.jpg

20150910_171848%20Mobile_zpsnwk5a7nw.jpg

20150910_171904%20Mobile_zpsggponi61.jpg

Funny thing is just earlier on the trail, I was telling my co-pilot that I'm going to get some trail damge, it's inevitable. It's part of the game and I know that going into it. Jinxed myself apparently.......

I think that's just a torsion bar adjuster cover that ties to the trans cross member. Loosen it and it should go back in place. You may need to hammer it flat again. I hit mine really hard last time out but it didn't move like yours did.

Yeah, all those are replaceable bolt on parts, including the actual T-bar brackets, and Trans cross member. Your good. :thumbsup:

The LCA's, front leaf pack mounts, and rear lower shock mounts are the other areas that get banged up.

Looks like a fun trip. I like the pictures and follow alongs. Awesome :thumbsup:

I think that's just a torsion bar adjuster cover that ties to the trans cross member. Loosen it and it should go back in place. You may need to hammer it flat again. I hit mine really hard last time out but it didn't move like yours did.

It is just a cover, and I cant tell for sure yet, but it sure looks like the adjuster bracket is bent back a little bit. It doesn't drive any different, and I cant think of any reason why it would affect anything else.

Yeah, all those are replaceable bolt on parts, including the actual T-bar brackets, and Trans cross member. Your good.

The LCA's, front leaf pack mounts, and rear lower shock mounts are the other areas that get banged up.

the bracket that holds the adjuster appears to be welded to the frame? I do plan on at the minimum grabbing an extra set of leaf pack plates at the junk yard next time and armoring those suckers up, as well as the LCA's. I saw the pic you posted up [MENTION=87244]gmanpaint[/MENTION] and I was sold on the idea for that LCA plating.

Looks like a fun trip. I like the pictures and follow alongs. Awesome

Thanks varsity, that was a really fun trip, I still have more pics of that run coming, as well as pics and even 1 or 2 vids of our run on Wednesday.

I thought only the 95 is welded. I could be wrong, as the 96 has some of the same attributes as the 95. It might have changed in 97. :scratch:

Guess I should have researched it more before I spoke. :D

If it is a welded on mount, then, they would have to be cut welded back on. :thumbdwn:

You already know what the alternative to that is! LOL!

I thought only the 95 is welded. I could be wrong, as the 96 has some of the same attributes as the 95. It might have changed in 97.

Guess I should have researched it more before I spoke.

If it is a welded on mount, then, they would have to be cut welded back on.

You already know what the alternative to that is! LOL!

It is welded, but I'm just not coming up with any reason why that would hurt anything. as long as it stays in the key and and LCA it should work the same right?

I really wish I had the dough to go to coil overs now, but ummmmmm, yea we're ot doin coil overs yet. LOL

I just meant if it was damaged and had to be replaced is all. Didn't mean to rattle ya. lol.

I think if it was bent, it could be bent back, but that might weaken the integrity a bit. As long as it holds the bar in place, it should be fine.

A set of rock sliders will help a bunch, but those pesky tbars always seem to be in the way.

I just meant if it was damaged and had to be replaced is all. Didn't mean to rattle ya. lol.

I think if it was bent, it could be bent back, but that might weaken the integrity a bit. As long as it holds the bar in place, it should be fine.

A set of rock sliders will help a bunch, but those pesky tbars always seem to be in the way.

Coil overs are on the list for sure. Just not ready to do them yet. Kinda hopin to win the lotto and go straight to SAS. Sliders on the other hand I was hoping to have done by now. I can build those once I get my hands on material. Quick disconnects are next on the list though. I'm already sick of unbolting and bolting those damn things in.

So rather post all the pics twice, here's a link to the trail run report on the local forum Tom got me hooked up with.

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?23752-Barbour-forks-9-9-15

The very first pic in that thread is actually where I banged the torsion bar bracket.

I also went and ran Johnny's park on Saturday during the day, and again yesterday night. Not many pics being a solo truck both times, but a couple:

20150912_161555%20Small_zpsgdb1zgjm.jpg

20150912_161600%20Small_zpstsjohw4t.jpg

20150912_161613%20Small_zps5nsxuypw.jpg

20150912_161622%20Small_zpsw707evca.jpg

20150912_161622%20Small_zpsw707evca.jpg

20150912_164518%20Small_zps3ykkegna.jpg

same place but at night, overlooking Longmont:

20150913_195910%20Small_zpsqordlehy.jpg

My favorite local trail. It has changed a lot over the years since I was last up there, but it's even more fun now.

And I also finally got my blue LED lights ordered and installed in the dash. They match the under dash lights perfectly, as well as front door courtesy lights, and all the roof light. The lights under the rear seat are a little lighter, but I'll address that later.

20150912_192844%20Small_zpsuujz400s.jpg

20150912_192903%20Small_zpsioo7lrs4.jpg

20150912_192917_zpsxec2trfo.jpg

20150912_193000_zps6mvo1ut8.jpg

I've always had a thing for lights and lighting effects. I changed all the dash lights in my car from orange to blue as well, this though has a ways to go on the dash and door, still plenty of green there that needs changed out. Only reason I did this now is I came across a facotry direct deal on the LED's and decided to give em a try. They were these here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010N8YFYA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Not a bad price for 20 of em. I replaced all the ones in my car's instrument panel, and the instrument panel in the truck, and still have some left over, may have to rig those up under the dash in the car, the ones in there right now are a different color. Happy with these so far though. Install is a quick and easy, other than that each one has a positive and negative on it and must go in the right way, or it wont work. I put em all in, plugged the harnesses into the back of the panel and flipped any that weren't working 180 degrees. That company has other colors in those as well.

also ordered this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002PYBZJO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

got the software installed on my netbook while eating at a restaurant, but didnt have time to activate it with the product key. Now I've lost the damn key.........dont know what I did with it. Got an email into amazon to see if they can send me another, or if I'm gonna have to return this one and buy another. I'm not spending another $25 on the software too. I think that's what the cost was on their site..........Anyway, looking forward to playing with that too if I ever get some activated software.

Never heard back from amazon, so returning this one due to "missing pieces/parts", new one should be here by Friday.

I've had this little growl going on in the LF for a little while now. Ran to the pull and save today to grab a hub/bearing, and ended up with my best day of parts finds so far. Didn't take long to find a hub/bearing that looked like it hadn't been on the truck all that long. $15. Came across one with really new looking Bilsteins on the front, and slightly older looking ones on the back, didn't have the right tools to get em off, but coulda had a fairly new set for $10. I did end up finding a set with mounts on one end that I think will work for fab'n up some front sway bar disco's, and for $10 for the pair, I'll give em a tryout. I knew it would happen someday, and today was finally the day. Found a bug shield with zero cracks. Not a color a want, but that's what paint is for. took a peek in another EX in that row, and found it to have an almost brand new weatherstrip around the passenger door. open all the other doors and they were all new. Only one I didn't take is the one for the back hatch glass, it had a cut in it. got the other 5 though for total of $28. The drivers' side seat belt latch quit working some time ago, and I grab a newer set up out of a 97 or 98 I think, bolted right in and the newer style looks much better, so I grabbed on for the passenger side today as well, $19, I can get the whole thing at another yard up North for $6, but I hate to drive an hour for a seatbelt, so pulled the trigger and the fronts will finally be matching soon. Found a factory hitch/bumper combo on a 2002 that got me to thinking........took some measurements and I think this thing will fit. I only took the steel inner piece with the hitch and plates to mount it, along with the 7-pole round electrical/lighting socket. $25. Came across one with a conical spectre oiled air filter. Not the best brand out there, but for $3, It'll work for now. Final find of the day was a used set of these:

Amazon link to item

They need to be wetsanded and polished up again, but at $52, I'm not complaining about a little sanding. Only found 1 set of F-150 leafs and they were rustier than I wanted to mess with. All in all what I call a victory at the yard today. And now I have lots of work ahead of me.

Got the bugshield I found at the JY plasti dipped and installed last night, then installed some new goodies.

2 100w and 3 55w to go with the 2 55w on the bumper. Night run tomorrow night, so good timing!!

CIMG0545%20Medium_zpseb71jpum.jpg

CIMG0542%20Medium_zpsozei6w7b.jpg

Just Harbor Freight cheapies, but they do the job well. Happy with em so far, although the chrome ones just ain't gonna fly. My gypsy fortune teller tells me there is some plasti dip in their future. Chrome of any type is becoming extinct on the truck, and I aim to run it out for good.

Not much to report, managed to get the new headlights installed, have to take it back apart though and re-align everything. Headed to Co. Springs a week ago and have been all over the place down here hitting up places I've either never been to, or haven't been to in 30+ yrs. This is probably the best shot I have of the new headlights, taken on Geneva Creek trail just yesterday:

20151007_150826%20Large_zpsl3vlh4sa.jpg

Other than that, here's a link to what I've been up to over the last week+

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?23896-Co-Springs-area-Geneva-Creek-10-1-10-7

Bad battery left me stranded a couple times last week, and made me miss out on a run. New yellow top optima is treating me nice so far. Not much else to report. Planned on running 3 roads/trails all close together, Shelf Rd, The Bank, and Phantom Canyon. Made it through the first 2. Got a later start on the day than I wanted to, and in my haste I took the wrong trail the first time at The Bank and ended up on an out and back instead of the loop I was shooting for. Also forgot to start recording a track when I hit the trail. Oh well, guess I'll have to go run it again. Dang the luck.......... I gotta download pics from the trip and then I'll post some.

EDIT: Found the yellow top online for $200 delivered to my door, discovered 20% off at Advance Auto if you order online. Paid for it online, picked it up in town for $208

Back