• Register Today It's free!

5r55w manual transfer case swap

fitter11

Reaction score
City, State
Garfield, Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mountaineer
Hey all. First post to this website. I have been following it as a non member for awhile and have gotten alot of good information. Now I have something I need help with. I've just come by a 2002 mountaineer-cheap! Transmission needed servo bushings and the viscous clutch is locked up. That's where I need the help. There are a few really good posts here dealing with this subject but I haven't seen a swap done with the 5r55w. Anyone out the here got any ideas or suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey all. First post to this website. I have been following it as a non member for awhile and have gotten alot of good information. Now I have something I need help with. I've just come by a 2002 mountaineer-cheap! Transmission needed servo bushings and the viscous clutch is locked up. That's where I need the help. There are a few really good posts here dealing with this subject but I haven't seen a swap done with the 5r55w. Anyone out the here got any ideas or suggestions?

If it has a viscous clutch, it is then an All Wheel Drive. What sort of help are you looking for?

Is the trans. still in the vehicle? Are you taking the seller's word for what is claimed to be out of whack? If the viscous clutch IS locked up, the vehicle would be nearly impossible to move without removing one or the other of the drive shafts. Where are you at in your analysis of this? Location of the vehicle such that it can be worked on?

Unless you are capable of doing much/all work yourself, your looking at a lot of repair $$. Transfer case. Transmission. IF what's wrong is as stated. imp

I have already installed a servo bore repair kit. That has taken care of the tranny issue. When driving, there was binding in the drive train when turning. I though at first the parking brake was stuck but then looked up the problem here on this forum. I removed front drive shaft and the binding was gone. I guess the help I'm looking for is does anyone know if there is a part time transfer case that will bolt up to a 5r55w?

I have already installed a servo bore repair kit. That has taken care of the tranny issue. When driving, there was binding in the drive train when turning. I though at first the parking brake was stuck but then looked up the problem here on this forum. I removed front drive shaft and the binding was gone. I guess the help I'm looking for is does anyone know if there is a part time transfer case that will bolt up to a 5r55w?

Yes, of course there is. However, what would you do after installing it? You have no switches provided, or wiring, to operate the 4X4 shift motor, and your PCM (computer) will go nuts trying to figure out the axle speed signals which control 4X4 AUTO.

There may be a usable manual transfer case that might fit, but I know of none. Then, also, there might be a driveshaft length issue.

If it were me, I would look into replacing the viscous clutch assembly, or alternately replace the entire AWD T.C. imp

Any new updates with this mod? I have an 04 Limited 4.6 AWD with a bad VC, I'd rather switch to a selectable 4x4 rather than full time AWD.

Back