Solved - Everything you wanted to know about PATS. | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Everything you wanted to know about PATS.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
Assuming you have a good key (if not you will need a new key), you need a dealer or a locksmith (or independent mechanic) with a dealer level scan tool to program your key into the system. Check with your locksmith to see whether he can do this -- some can. Consider doing a second key at the same time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

more PATS...

Hello everyone, I recently bought a 2001 ranger and the previous owner lost his keys, so he dismantled the ignition and somehow wired his own push button ignition and had no issues for 3 years, now I would like to make it all OEM again, my question is, can I take the entire PATS system out of a 99-2000 ford explorer and swap it over to my Ranger? Have a wrecked explorer with both keys and just wondered if the PATS "conversion" would work? Thanks in advance for any help..

While PATS has hardware parts, the key, the sensor around the key lock and the PATS module located behind the glove box it really is software in the power train control module (PCM). All the above would have to be added.

Two questions:

Are you sure your '01 Ranger has or had PATS? Most Rangers did not.

Are you sure what the PO wiring does? From my experience it is not possible to bypass PATS with wire since it is really software. Believe me . . . I tried.

The PO told me that he didnt want to pay $60 each for new "chip keys" and more to have the ford dealership to program them, so he wired up a push button setup somehow, i couldnt believe it but i seen him push the button and the truck fired right up. i was shocked, the push button is still laying in the floorboard, but the wires are disconnected. So if i wanted to do the conversion i would need the ring around the ignition, ignition, wiring, module from behind the airbag, and the pcm from the explorer?

I'd agree from that story that your Ranger doesn't have PATS. So to add it would require a good bit of dash wiring that would be too much trouble.

I'd put the truck back to its original state, and if more security is needed, add an aftermarket alarm etc. The OEM systems work well when intact and taken care of, but the aftermarket features are far better in almost all respects.

PATS on Ranger

According to the following wiring diagram for a 2001 Ranger with a 4.0L V6 it has PATS.
RangerPATS.jpg

As TestPoint posted there's much more to PATS than just a key. The PCM "learns" to recognize the coded sequence on the microchip on each key. On my 2000 Sport if the key code is not recognized the PCM disables the fuel injectors. According to the diagram I suspect that on your Ranger the PCM disables the starter. If it doesn't disable the injectors then a manual starter switch could bypass PATS.

If that truck has PATS and no key is needed to start it, then someone has buried a coded key someplace, so it always has a good code. That was the original method to bypass PATS when a remote starter was added. I'd restore the original wiring and components as much as possible, and then see about what might be nice to add.

I only have one working key for a 2010 Explorer Eddie Bauer, Can I program a new key based on the following?

Following are the instructions for programming a blank key (you must have at least one working key for this procedure).

The PAT

1. Make sure you have both keys.
2. Turn on car but don't start. Watch "theft" indicator untils it goes out.
3. Turn off and repeat procedure with second key.
4. After "theft light goes out, insert new key and turn on.
5. Wait until the theft indicator goes off and then turn off switch.
6. Wait thirty seconds. New key is now programmed into security module. Repeat for any other keys.

two keys required to program another

I don't know about your 2010 but my 2000 Explorer Owner's Guide specifically states:
"You will need to have two previously programmed SecuriLock keys and the new (cut) unprogrammed SecuriLock key readily accessible for the procedure."

Check your Owner's Guide. I suspect it states the same thing.

There may be a cheaper approach to get a second functional key if you still have one functional key. Many hardware stores (such as Ace) now have the capability to duplicate your existing key. With a duplicate the PCM can't distinguish it from an original key so you still can't program a third key yourself. However, you can make as many duplicates as you want.

2010 Ford Explorer Owners Manual (Pages 164-165)
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/10expog2e.pdf
Programming spare keys

*You must have two previously programmed coded keys (keys that already operate your vehicle’s engine) and the new unprogrammed key(s) readily accessible.

*If two previously programmed coded keys are not available, you must take your vehicle to your authorized dealer to have the spare key(s) programmed.

Chip Key Replacements
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3259704&postcount=13

What Is The Difference Between A Cloned Key And A Programmed Key
http://www.ebay.com/gds/What-Is-The...mmed-Key-/10000000178247159/g.html?rmvSB=true

Thanks, guess I will have to bite the bullet and buy a 2nd key. $75 at the dealer.

$75 is not bad for an dealer programmed key. Buy an OEM blank from Ebay, cut it, and program yourself.

Always have THREE programmed keys available, especially if you plan on keeping the vehicle long term. :thumbsup:

So here's an interesting question I don't think was asked yet. When I bought my '04 XLS back in September it came with only one key. I discovered that it had a remote start installed and realized with a remote start there had to be either another key hidden somewhere or a box programmed to mimic. So after tearing the dash apart I found the spare key in a box called an ExpressKit. This key is uncut so I haven't been able to really test it. My question or questions are if I get this key cut and try to program a third key and this 'spare' key is a copy of the original that I have will I mess the system up? From what I have been reading I don't think it will hurt to try programming another key.

The real question for those computer geeks out there. Can I use this ExpressKit to somehow read the programming on my keys or to program more keys?

duplicate vs 2nd key

My opinion is that the uncut key is probably a second key whose code is recognized by the PCM rather than a duplicate key. I suspect that if you get the key cut the same as your working 1st key it will work fine. Just get it cut and try it in the ignition. If it works then get a third PATS key cut and try to program it using the 1st and 2nd keys. If it doesn't work (won't reprogram with the PCM) then the only consequence should be the THEFT light will rapidly flash when the 3rd key is tried.

I doubt that you can use the ExpressKit to reprogram a 3rd key. In order to reprogram a 3rd key a 1st key has to be inserted in the ignition switch and then removed and a 2nd key quickly inserted in the ignition switch and recognized before the 3rd key is inserted. You would have to rapidly remove the ExpressKit from the proximity of the PATS receiver before inserting the 2nd key. The ExpressKit must have a way to bypass the ignition switch in order to enable the ignition and activate the starter.

hi im new to the forum and need answers quick or im in trouble. i own a 99 explorer, the other morning i woke the the sound of my explorer trying to start so i ran outside and nobody was there the doors were lock but the engine was turning over, i put my key in but i couldnt stop the starter i had to disconnect the battery. i then hooked the battery back up and turned the key and it started right up but the starter would not disegage. i figured a stuck ignition or somethin so i took the ignition out, gave it a few taps and put it back in, hooked the battery up and this time the starter did not turnover. i put my key in turned it once and i had lights door chimes and everything but the theft light flashed rapidly, i turned the key and it cranked and the starter once again didnt disengage. Sorry for the details but my truck is a daily driver for work. if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

What if u don't have original key?

My PATS is not broken yet, but I only have one good key. Can I just leave the key in the ignition switch (so it never gets lost) and let myself in and out with a door key?

Please do not answer, "Is this a good security measure?"
Just tell me if the car will have a fit, erase the key, or commit suicide in some way.

My PATS is not broken yet, but I only have one good key. Can I just leave the key in the ignition switch (so it never gets lost) and let myself in and out with a door key?

Please do not answer, "Is this a good security measure?"
Just tell me if the car will have a fit, erase the key, or commit suicide in some way.

The PATS key code device at the key cylinder is what reads and transmits the code to the PATS module. You can in some way mount a good coded key next to it and any(if it doesn't produce a code that is accepted and fails the testing) key that turns the cylinder can work. But obviously that's just disabling the system.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Like CDW has suggested, the previous owner of my vehicle had essentially bypassed the system by attaching a blank key inside the steering column so that they could use generic Ford keys. Mixed feelings on this approach but it is one option.

Back