I need p.a.t.s. advice!!!!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I need p.a.t.s. advice!!!!!!!

Eljay

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford explorer
Hey guys, I'm super new to the explorer game and the p.a.t.s. is really getting my goat right now, I have a busted key to start with so the previous owner taped the transponder to the ignition which worked for a while,then one day it decided to act like it couldn't read the transponder, so after trying a bunch of things it just starts up.
so after this I don't trust my explorer and I get on to here where a lot of people suggest taping the transponder inside of the steering column, which did not work for me, then I get the idea to put it back where it came from!!
so I tape it inside the key and it worked.....for a week or so that is. so now I have a key with the transponder in it and the system keeps locking me out, I'll take the cable off the battery, let the system reset and try it again, and it just shuts down the second I turn the key. now the key man tells me he can read the code on my transponder.

so it can't be the transponder right?

could it be the receiver?

something else entirely?

will having A new key matter or help?

any advice would be killer right now. thanks guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It can be the receiver or its wire connector (antenna that surrounds the lock cylinder), the PATS module itself or its connector (behind the passenger side air bag), or the PCM or its connector. First thing I would do is spray electrical connector solvent on all the connectors-at the antenna, the PATS module, and at the PCM, then check the PATS module for voltage (fuse #25 7.5 amp, white wire yellow stripe.)

Is this the ONLY key with a chip in it on your keychain? I've seen some wacked out things when people have more than 1 key on their chain Ford or not.

Is this the ONLY key with a chip in it on your keychain? I've seen some wacked out things when people have more than 1 key on their chain Ford or not.

yeah no key ring, its the only key near the car.

It can be the receiver or its wire connector (antenna that surrounds the lock cylinder), the PATS module itself or its connector (behind the passenger side air bag), or the PCM or its connector. First thing I would do is spray electrical connector solvent on all the connectors-at the antenna, the PATS module, and at the PCM, then check the PATS module for voltage (fuse #25 7.5 amp, white wire yellow stripe.)

where do i find "electrical connector solvent"?

CRC 5103 electric contact cleaner Amazon.com

where do i find "electrical connector solvent"?

Any auto parts store should have it. White vinegar and lemon juice works well too.

Back