Pulling codes p0303 and p0316

okxlt2003

Reaction score
City, State
Altus Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
Hope someone has a fix for this.
I have a 2003 XLT with the 4.0 V6 2 wheel drive auto with 168,000 miles. I first notice a surge or a miss while driving at highway speeds with the cruise on. It wasn't only a month or so before the Check engine light came on.

Read the codes and it had a p0303 #3 engine misfire. So I change the coil pack and the #3 sparkplug. Didnt help. I read on this forum that it could be the O2 sensors so I replaced all four. That didn't help either. But I didn't feel I lost anything there since they were way past their routine maintenance replacement.
But now the check engine light is not only on but it flashes and the vehicle surges bad at around 45 mph, smoothes out above that. Read the codes again now it has p0303 and p0316. New one P)316 misfire the first 1,000 RPM's Talked with the guys at autozone and they thought it might be the Crank sensor weak or intermittent. Replaced that no help.
Replace so far
#3 plug, new coil pack, all 4 O2 sensors and the crank sensor. Nothing has helped it just seems to get worse.

Whats next injectors? cam sensor? MAF sensor?

Any help would be great.
Thanks
Lewis

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure, I just replaced the Phelum upper intake seals, the crank sensor, plugs, and wires and air filter. also changed the oil/filter. Seems to run better but still have to get the computer reset. So more to come. Thanks for asking

I have more information on the code. The book is useless when it comes to the code.
P0300 -
Ignition system fault- sparkplugs, ignition wires or coil
Vacuum Leak
Injector Fault
High or low fuel pressure

P0316 -
crank sensor
check connector and wiring to sensor
check trigger wheel for damage

I actually had ford diagnose mine and they told me to replace the sparkplug wires and ignition coil and sparkplugs. I changed the ignition coil and have you to know it ran perfect. I then turn the knob on the control unit from red to blue and it blew another ignition coil. I was running 45 MPH at the time , and the time before that when it happen my wife turned the A/C on when it happen. So now were in Tennessee and when I get home, I will try to blow another by turning the A/C on.

I havent changed the sparkplug wires or sparkplugs yet.

When your had the problem, did you hear a small ticking before it occured from the engine ? Any engine noises before it happen and the noise cleared by changing the parts ?

When mine blew the coil, the engine would skip between idle and 1400 RPMS or so. Did yours ?

im having the same problem, cannot figure it out. Just happend 2day
Mine is skippin like crazy, just all of a sudden. I put in new spark plugs 3 days ago, ran great until 2day. I replaced the ignition coil, that didnt fix it. When you figure it out let me know

mine is reading
p0136- o2 sensor bank 1 sensor 2
P0301- cylinder 1 misfire
p0113- IAT sensor 1 circuit high output
p0300- Random/multiple cylinder misfire

The IAT sensor sounds like its failing you. It is located on top of the intake between the air box and intake. Take a look at it or replace it and let me know if it fixes it.

From the looks of your codes the sensor is faulty which is throwwing the misfire code, O2 code and the other code. Let me know

I am having very similar issues with my 2003 4.6. Missing pretty bad and throwing codes P0300 & P0316. Anyone have an answer or fix for this yet?

Thanks

Hi guys just sort of fixed mine today! my explorer left me straded the other day out of no where. After replacing crankshaft, cam, IAC sensors, and all sparkplucgs with platinum motortech it was a fuse under the hood. If i were you guys just look under the one it says in your manual Coill plugs. 10 amp fuse. It fixed mine but i somehow created a vacuum due to my own fault so if someone coulld help me there that would be great bc now I dont have an overdrive(03 explorer 4.6) Hope I can Help

When you change the upper intake gasket, don't forget the EGR tube gasket

Hope someone has a fix for this.
I have a 2003 XLT with the 4.0 V6 2 wheel drive auto with 168,000 miles. I first notice a surge or a miss while driving at highway speeds with the cruise on. It wasn't only a month or so before the Check engine light came on.

Read the codes and it had a p0303 #3 engine misfire. So I change the coil pack and the #3 sparkplug. Didnt help. I read on this forum that it could be the O2 sensors so I replaced all four. That didn't help either. But I didn't feel I lost anything there since they were way past their routine maintenance replacement.
But now the check engine light is not only on but it flashes and the vehicle surges bad at around 45 mph, smoothes out above that. Read the codes again now it has p0303 and p0316. New one P)316 misfire the first 1,000 RPM's Talked with the guys at autozone and they thought it might be the Crank sensor weak or intermittent. Replaced that no help.
Replace so far
#3 plug, new coil pack, all 4 O2 sensors and the crank sensor. Nothing has helped it just seems to get worse.

Whats next injectors? cam sensor? MAF sensor?

Any help would be great.
Thanks
Lewis

if new plug/coil/wire, and still missing, its an injector, or engine damage.

After all my frustration of thinkin that my explorer was really messed up and thinkin that it was goin to cost a fortune to fix b/c it was miss firing. Got it looked at 2day and we replaced the new spark plug on cylinder 1= PROBLEM FIXED. She perrs like a cat now. I bought new plugs before the problem started and came to find out one of them was a bad plug.

Up Date on my original Post

I replaced the fuel filter, plugs wires, coil pack, crank sensor and all 4 O2 sensors. DID NOT fix the problem. I replaced the upper intake gaskets. still no help. Talked with a shop here in town, an he told me to check the compression to make sure I didn't have a bad valve or bad rings. Compression test was good. 140-145 on all six cylinders. If the compression was good it would be 2 possible problems. injectors or engine computer. I just replaced the injectors. All six, got them from ROCK auto for $147 for the set. It runs alot better. Will drive it and cycle the codes out of the computer. I'll keep you all posted.:cool:

Do Not know what to do next. Gas milage improved with new injectors but it still shakes and shutters between 35-45 MPH. #3 and #5 plugs are fould also. Swapped them with new ones. Same thing. Pulled the coil pack and had it checked at auto Zone. It checked good. I thouht I might of good a bad pack. but it's good. My brother seems to think the shuttering at 35-45 is around a transmission shift point between gears. Is that possible, torque converter lock up??? But that doesn't explain the ruff idle, or fould plugs.

did you check compression? or a leak down test.

Do Not know what to do next. Gas milage improved with new injectors but it still shakes and shutters between 35-45 MPH. #3 and #5 plugs are fould also. Swapped them with new ones. Same thing. Pulled the coil pack and had it checked at auto Zone. It checked good. I thouht I might of good a bad pack. but it's good. My brother seems to think the shuttering at 35-45 is around a transmission shift point between gears. Is that possible, torque converter lock up??? But that doesn't explain the ruff idle, or fould plugs.

Is it like a stuttering like the engine shuts off for a second and the truck brakes kind of feeling?

My truck would do that without throwing codes. It was a combination of the fuel sensor on the rail (I forget the name, fuel pressure sensor?) and the fuel pump.

If it's typical shutter at those speeds, then that's classic torque converter shutter. A tranny flush or lubeguard red might help.

tdid the op ever find the problem with this truck? I'm currently at the same spot.

Ford fixed it!!

I broke down and took it to the shop! Turned out to be a bad connector on the coil pack! I had replaced the coil pack and plugs and wires from the begining! But the connector had one of the pins push back! Plus the computer has a built in fail safe! If the vehicle starts miss firing, the computer will shut down the Air Conditioning to conserve what power you have!! The dealership spliced in a new connector! Runs great!

How did 1 of the pins get pushed back?
I'm geting the same 2 codes & started to change my plugs & first thing I found when putting the #6 spark wire boot back on was that the connector was pushed back.
Good thing I still had my old wires so I used that on #6 &when I started it up, my problem was fixed.
It did say cyliners 1 tho but I started on the driver side to change plugs cause it was easier.
Ill change the rest of the plugs later & get a new set of wires also.

I have P0303 and P0316 codes. 2002 Explorer was running fine then suddenly had severe engine shake. Drove it home and searched what codes mean. So far, I have replaced plugs, plug wires and Coil Pack. No improvement, and now I can't even get it to start. Check voltage at plug for Crankshaft position sensor, and reading a little over 1volt. I have no idea where to go from here. Read that it could be a burned valve or broken spring under rocker cover. Any other fixes before I tear deaper into the engine?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 05 explorer and it has code P0300 and P0316 I have done plugs, wires, coil, and it is still throwing this code It is my wife's and I need it back on the road so she can get my 1 year old to her doctor app. please help!!!!!

Back